Adjustment to Buy Shipping on Amazon

I logged in to my account today and discovered an adjustment to “Shipping services purchased through Amazon”. I was charged an additional $0.67 for shipping. I did a search for the Order ID and found that the charge was for a package shipped in January. The weight was exactly one pound.

Why is Amazon second-guessing the weight and/or shipping cost three months after the date of sale? Who receives the funds for this extra charge? Does Amazon keep it or is it passed along to the post office?

The next time I have a package that weighs exactly one pound, maybe I should enter the weight of 15.9 ounces instead.

1 Like

It was most likely for incorrect rate reasons as noted on this other thread or the need to round up

You should always round up to avoid corrections.

3 Likes

Yeah, anything close, I round up. Just needs someone to breathe on the scale at the wrong time.

2 Likes

@wadeorcas @aerides Thank you for your replies.

I checked the date of sale and it was January 8. The item was shipped the following day on January 9. It was shipped before the price increase on January 22 so this is another case of mis-programed bots. I’m not going to quibble with Amazon over 67 cents but if another adjustment appears, I will certainly say something.

1 Like

Agree totally that it was Amazon’s error. We had quite a few adjustments from early January where Amazon charged the incorrect rate for Regional A boxes going to Zone 8. We opened a case and escalated it after several attempts to get them to understand the issue. They kept replying with information on how they calculate return shipping (NOT the issue at all) and basically told me to shut up and go away or suffer the consequences. Our adjustment was only $14 and change, but it’s still aggravating that Amazon won’t take responsibility for their error.

2 Likes

I keep thinking about the Superman III (1983) movie where Richard Pryor is told about the half-cents in his paycheck:

“In Superman III , this particular scam takes shape when Gus Gorman (Richard Pryor ) receives his first paycheck for $143.80, and a colleague tells him that his paycheck probably includes a half-cent extra due to taxes and other calculations. Because Gus is an inexplicable computer genius, he writes a program for the company’s computer system to gather up all of these fractions of a cent for him, which results as a bonus check for $85,789.90 at the end of the week. Of course, the company’s accountants immediately notice the sudden loss of funds and finger Gus the next day when he nonchalantly drives his new Ferrari to work.” (From filmschoolrejects dot com).

Where are all these small amounts going? Where is Amazon accounting posting these additional fees?

1 Like

I suggest that when you hit a BOT wall, open a case and ask for the phone call. That’s how I got my recent issue – not on this subject – addressed and understood.

3 Likes

Good question, they don’t seem significant, but they certainly are over time.
I assume Amason is heavily audited, but who knows where they are funneling these extra funds.

Not sure if you remember the “one cent thief”

Aman Shah , then 25, gained notoriety as the country’s “one cent thief” in 1990 when he was working at the Hock Hua Bank in Jalan Raja Laut. A computer expert, he managed customer accounts and used a fund transfer system to deduct one cent from every account until he amassed RM4. 1 million.
I read that there is a movie in the works around his story, which should be interesting.

I noticed the weights of our FC packages had weight added so it bumped it up to the next weight tier (i.e. 3.8oz packages were adjusted to 4.1oz, 15.8oz packages were adjusted to 16.2oz and charged priority rates, etc). The adjustments were BS and now, if the weight of a package is within 0.5 ounces of the next tier, we ship through our Pitney Bowes account (same price and we rarely get INR complaints on those).

We also ship all of our Flat Rate Priority mail packages through Pitney Bowes because Amazon charges substantially more on flat rate packages now. :smirk: