Amazon can stop you in your tracks

So there is a HOT item that has been selling since Aug 2022 and doing well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BB8BKHN6?ref=myi_title_dp

Now it appears Amazon sees the sales and, of course, wants their piece of the pie (according to the manufacturer)

What they are able to do is change the RELEASE DATE to a future date 4/1/2023 but this has effectively put all sellers into “PRE-ORDER” mode even if you have stock and can sell right now.

I have made several cases and they say it will be fixed in an hour, yet nothing changes.

Just another shady tactic IMHO. Lets see if they even stick with the MAP pricing …hmm

2 Likes

That is their release date, correct? When they will have stock?

I hope you’re not the only 3P fighting back on this. Even if accidental, that’s definitely a huge strike against Amazon in the “colludes against 3Ps” column that legislators would be interested to know.

3 Likes

Oh and that’s a national brand, too. So you know Amazon is going to bully all the 3Ps off of it.

1 Like

And this is an item that you have in stock?

Interesting. It seems Amazon has found new ways to screw with people.

3 Likes

I uploaded a template to set the Release Date & Launch Date back to 08/22/22.
We see if that has any effect in 24hrs.

If it was not a hot item it would be unnoticeable. Shows as “Active” in inventory management. Unless you go to the detail page sellers would have no idea.

2 Likes

All of you are set to preorder, not just you. You might not be able to change it back.

So what happens to a “pre-order” when a 3PS gets one? Does it just sit in pending till the release date?

1 Like

Yes you have been screwed.

I doubt it was intentional.

I suspect some turkey handling Amazon’s addition to the line, changed the release date.

I suspect there is no way to correct an error on the sales/vendor side of Amazon which is available to Seller Support, and they no longer try.

I share your outrage, but this is business as usual.

4 Likes

It sucks - we sell nearly 100 a day now a with a week+ lost due to future date BS that’s like 800 orders down the tubes.

3 Likes

Sadly, I don’t think this is anything new. I’ve had multiple issues of having books that have gone out of print listed, but are now up for re-release; I’m not able to sell the copy I have until the new release date; if it’s a new listing, I can’t even list it.
This has been happening for at least 3-4 years.

1 Like

Way longer than that … :rage:

2 Likes

So is Amazon suspected to show up on the page once they receive their stock to sell April 1st?

I have seen them show up on a product page, take over the buy box with an in stock date weeks out - while I had stock in FBA. Funny that all my FBA stock went into transfer status and Amazon’s future in-stock date suddenly was gone and they had it to sell. My transfers became available a few weeks later. Conspiracy theory? I don’t think it’s a theory.
Yeah, I think they ‘borrow’ FBA inventory. And I don’t commingle.

1 Like

This is one of the few times I have disagreed with you. I believe it was fully intentional and illegal collusion.

Price fixing, bid rigging, and other forms of collusion are illegal and are subject to criminal prosecution by the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice .

Marilyn

Collusion requires multiple parties to consult, and agree. I don’t believe Amazon asked for your permission and consent. While Amazon does many things I do not condone, and this might even rise to the level of illegal anti-competitive market manipulation…

There is no collusion. Amazon is doing this all on their own.

2 Likes

I disagree. The collusion is between Amazon and the manufacturers / distributors against all of the impacted 3P sellers. This is also known as racketeering. All of you who are affected by this as a group have grounds for a class action lawsuit.

Marilyn

1 Like

thumbs_up_

Well the answer to that was NO.
That was supports suggestion.
That was my 3rd person I spoke to on the phone. Each one tried something different and they all said it was fixed but the problem still remains.

2 Likes

@Sundance: Now that Amazon has blocked you and a dozen other sellers from selling your previously hot $24.97 Lash kit, you can expect Amazon to grab the buy box on April 1st, then begin driving the price down forcing you and the other 3P sellers off this product listing.

You could contact the US DOJ mentioned above for information on what documentation they would require to build a case against Amazon. In the meanwhile, take screenshots and get your docs in order. No one in Seller Support will be aware of Amazon’s plan or able to override the plan Amazon has put in place against you and the other 3P sellers.

Marilyn

2 Likes

I expect people to disagree with my assessment of what motivates Amazon.

Many, including yourself, believe that the are consciously predators, motivated by greed.

I believe they are ignorant, careless and more motivated by sloth, as well as having no reliable means of correcting their errors.

When I ran marketing for a division of a major corporation, I had two lawyers on my staff whose sole responsibility was making sure we took no action which might violate any federal law or regulation. They were valuable members of my team. Interaction with them was normal and daily whether there was a relevant issue or not to be dealt with.

I certainly believe there are large companies who are totally evil, certainly among Big Tech, but I do not include Amazon in that group.

I will not be insulted by the disagreement, or let it make me any more disagreeable than usual.

3 Likes

Yeah_

Also, perhaps we could also ask the average Amazon employee…

are idiots

3 Likes