Amazon FBA now provides 2 options for destination: Recommended and Standard options. What do you guys think?

Hi,
I’m creating a new shipment to ship from third party warehouse to Amazon and found this new feature. Now we have 2 options: Recommended and Standard. Standard is what Amazon uses from the beginning (provide the nearest warehouse). Recommended is the new option and could be useful during the busy hectic time of Q4 when lots of trucks wait to check-in and it takes forever for Amazon to actually scan items. This problem is more pronounced in California warehouses. See the picture (that I copy and paste) below:

Since Amazon offers this, I expect the load on all Amazon California warehouses would be lighter than last year because some shipments will be diverted to other further warehouses (like the screenshot that it offers to be sent to Texas). Therefore maybe we could stick around with California (Recommended option). What do you guys think? Would the incoming loads be more distributed among warehouses this year?

1 Like

We simply adjust inventory levels to account for the lag in their distribution, instead of paying extra for the same outcome.

Consider yourself lucky to get Tx. Many of our “suggested” locations are on the East Coast or Chicago/PA. I have been told by an Amazon employee that containers/trans shippers, are the problem for West Coast receive centers. They were never able to catch up when the post covid container wave hit the ports and won’t for probably a year.

1 Like

I’m surprised they give you a choice. You would think Amazon would just be like whelp, this FC’s too full, send it here because we say so.

I’m trying to do that too. However that doesn’t come without a risk. For example, if you think Amazon would be too busy and delay the scanning, you send in the inventory with an extra 1 month as buffer. Somehow Amazon magically could process the incoming at a normal speed, then you end up with too many units (lowering the IPI score and pay extra FBA storage fee). I had that happened to me before. I sent 2 shipments (different products but same cbm size) to the same Amazon warehouse on the same date (departed China on the same day). One shipment went through as normal, no delay. Another one got one month delay. Didn’t make sense :expressionless:

You’re right and I appreciate that. I actually picked both destinations. If I’m not in a rush, I pick the cheaper one that would most likely have delay. I pick the further more expensive one for items that need the restock NOW.

1 Like

I tried the Recommended Shipment Option once. Never again. It took longer to receive than standard shipment option which was sent maybe 2 days apart. Like VTR says - send stuff in advance and include lag in your forecast.

1 Like

So have you evaluated how long it takes for Amazon to transfer stuff more recently? We have yet to see times longer than 15-20 days, which after taking into account the additional time to ship to other RC’s, its only about a week more.
Direct imports can be held up for many reasons like we have an Xray hold for 18 days running right now. That’s not an Amazon problem.

2 Likes

Thank you! I think I still have time to change my mind. I’ll let my forwarder know that we’re switching to Standard option. I wonder if the data that Amazon uses to show Recommended and Standard options are a bit old (maybe a few weeks old). By the time, our shipment arrives, the congestion is already resolved.

Thanks for another vote for Standard option. Tried_Tested just confirmed that he tried the Recommended and it took longer (and I bet costed him as well).

For us it is 2x the freight costs. For SPD its like 9$ to go to Vegas, LA, Long Beach etc. $18.+ to IL or PA. I can pay a lot of storage fees for 2x the inbound freight costs. Pallets are not as bad but still higher.

1 Like