Amazon hikes grocery delivery fees for Prime members

Amazon hikes grocery delivery fees for Prime members

Amazon will begin charging a grocery delivery fee for its Prime customers on orders under $150, effective February 28.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/amazon-hikes-grocery-delivery-fees-prime-members

2 Likes

$150?? Wow. I get free grocery delivery at $30 (Safeway) and $35 (Walmart).

Amazon said the service fee will better cover grocery delivery costs and help keep prices low in its online and physical grocery stores.

So, now they’re becoming a ‘sell for a penny with $20 shipping’ seller? :thinking:

1 Like

Not sure how you guys are keeping your grocery bill below $150, let alone $50. Please tell me your secrets.

Day old bread? Ramen? How??

3 Likes

If you must ask, we reduced the number of mouths in the building. And if I tell you I would have to…

Oh wait, dry sense of humor warning.

I have no idea how my children do it now. That and what about everyone that orders takeout delivered to the door?

For me take out when I was young was taking the rooster out behind the barn and…

Sorry dry sense of humor took over again.

5 Likes

The song A Week in County Jail comes to mind “Later on we got more hot bologna, eggs and gravy And by now I wasn’t quite so hard to please”

But honestly, with the price of eggs that’s an expensive meal now…

1 Like

Day old Bread, love it, especially bagels.
Ramen, outstanding, use Indian spices and a few peas.

Now back to the original “grocery delivery fees” First and last visit at a Whole Foods Store (and they are a customer) (this forum is closed right?..) Got food poisoning from the cannolis that we watched someone make in front of us. Something went wrong, very wrong.

2 Likes

Yes it is, good news you don’t need a rooster to make the eggs. Fun and useful tip! Don’t put the name of the rooster (or chicken) on the package when you put it in the freezer. The kids will never eat it.

1 Like

I don’t use Amazon for groceries, so I’m not sure how it works, but maybe Amazon is trying to cut down on “Oh shoot I need more asparagus for supper I’ll just order that one thing”?

And I could support that.

But $150 is a RIDICULOUS minimum, for already Prime members. Not that my bill is lower (it’s really not, there are 10 creatures in this house) for weekly groceries, but a one-person no-pet household probably comes in under that regularly.

2 Likes

Not sure how you guys are keeping your grocery bill below $150, let alone $50. Please tell me your secrets.

I’m just one person. I can’t imagine spending $150 on groceries at one time. I buy the stuff that’s on sale, and easy to prepare.

If you’re curious… here’s my Safeway delivery due tonight.

• Ruffles family size chips (reg. 6.49) on sale for $2.97 but only if you buy 4.
  • Lucerne cheese (I buy their parmesan) at 97 cents instead of 2.99
  • Top Round Roast on sale this week for $1.97/lb
  • Extra $5 off a $25 order coupon
  • Stouffers frozen meals on sale ($2.50 instead of $3.99), thought I’d try the lasagna to make the $25 for the $5 off coupon
  • French fries and mashed potatoes on sale
  • Italian sausage on sale, Yummy.

Ruffles Potato Chips Cheddar & Sour Cream - 12.5 OZ 4 $10.30
Lucerne Cheese Finely Shredded Parmesan & Romano - 6 Oz 1 $0.85
Lucerne Cheese Finely Shredded Parmesan - 6 Oz 1 $0.85
Lucerne Cheese Parmesan Shaved - 6 Oz 2 $1.69
McCain Potatoes Battered Thin Cut Craft Beer - 22 Oz 1 $3.03
Resers Main St. Bistro Mashed Potatoes Garlic - 24 Oz 1 $3.03
Stouffer’s Classic Meatloaf Frozen Meal - 9.87 Oz 2 $4.33
Hill Meat Co Hot Italian Sausage - 16 Oz 1 $3.46
USDA Choice Beef Top Round Roast - 3.00 Lb 1 $5.12

Order Summary
Items (14) $85.14
Member Price Savings −$39.80
Safeway for U Savings −$12.68
Bag Fee $0.25
Estimated Total $32.91

“Amazon Prime, where we aren’t sure why you still subscribe.”

I mean that’s a helluva pivot, went from guaranteed 2 day delivery to everything else but that.

1 Like

went from guaranteed 2 day delivery to everything else but that.

Do you remember how, before COVID, they were talking about how they were building so many new warehouses and everything was going to be one day delivery? :laughing:

1 Like

Bag fee, what the heck is a bag fee?

Said live from the “Live Free or Die” state.

2 Likes

I lived alone for about a decade, I walked to the grocery store and only bought as much as I could carry. If I needed more than I could carry, I had to come back in a day or 2 for another trip. Most of my trips were under $100, unless I was buying something unusually expensive like a full roast.

2 Likes

I almost exclusively shop at WF and go there every 2-3 days - my total is never less than $50 and usually averages $70-80. I mean one of the benefits of doing amazon is that you make enough to eat quality food.

1 Like

Bag fee, what the heck is a bag fee?

The biggest pain in my neck! :laughing: Several years ago, Oregon passed a law that single-use plastic bags were outlawed. Several other states have it too, I think. Now, the thin and incredibly useful plastic bags they used to hand out (I re-used mine for trash all the time) are outlawed. They switched to thicker plastic ‘reusable’ shopping bags that are such thick plastic, they’ll never deteriorate in the ground.

On top of being thicker, and awful, each one costs 5 cents, as do paper bags if you go that way instead. No more useful, thin, plastic bags ever, not at any cost. I get 4 of 5 of these new, hated bags, with every delivery order and the recycling company that serves my complex doesn’t take them. I must have a couple hundred of them lying around now. Anyone who wants them, please say the word!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Maybe you do. :grimacing:

I live in California. I would love to download my feelings on the bag fee / straw ban / and other things… But we cant talk about politics, so I digest.

2 Likes

I’ve learned to live with the bag fee, if only they’d bring me paper bags. I recycle a lot of paper stuff and these would at least be useful. The thick plastic ones can’t be re-used for anything (but shopping). Safeway switched to using Door Dash to deliver in my area, they used to come in their own Safeway trucks, and the drivers would take your bags back to the store.

Now, they just pile up, and I can’t bring myself to put them in the trash.

2 Likes

Five cents! Not here. Ten and up.

Fortunately, with a used bookstore I have a use for sturdy reusable bags.

2 Likes

I don’t know how sturdy they are, they’re still plastic. :thinking: But I’d gladly send you as many as you want, if you think they’d do any good.

1 Like