Amazon layoffs hit robotics, grocery, health, AWS

Interesting AWS is on the list now. It always seemed to be “safe”

Staffers involved in third-party seller services, seller experience, seller financial technology, software development, and online seller communities were let go.

3 Likes

The only way we will know who will be finding peoples LinkedIn and seeing job changes

Funny, they recently had posted an opening for CM

https://sellersasksellers.com/t/conversations-about-chatter-on-nsfe/23/110?u=papy

Meanwhile…

Amazon employees asked to be in office three days a week: Andy Jassy (cnbc.com)

They made the decision after determining that it would benefit the company’s culture and workers’ ability to learn from and collaborate with one another.

I translate that from corporate PC press parlance to mean, nobody coming to work, means nobody working. So we need your co-workers to rat you out when you aren’t doing your thing.

2 Likes

Jeez, who woulda thunk?!

100%. I know plenty remote or hybrid workers. I can say with confidence almost none are working as hard as they would be in the office.

3 Likes

A friend has been remote with the same company for the last 15 years. Hates going to the office: he gets nothing done because everybody wants his eyes and hands on everything. Easier to brush unreasonable requests off when you’re not face to face.

Personally, when I was “9 to 5” I was able to be much more productive on remote days than when I was physically there because I was not having to fight off being pulled into every not-my-job nightmare to fix or bazillion work-social situations during the workday.

I know you said almost but…I think it depends on the industry, the company, and the individual. And maybe you just know lazy people? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing: (I’m kidding!)

6 Likes

Well I will say, my knowledge would apply mostly to the younger generation. I think we can pretty well conclude these new kids do not have the same work ethic that our grandaddies had.

Some bullspit about “work life balance” give me a break.

3 Likes

I was told by two executives of very large international corporations, that remote work was not viable early in the pandemic. They both independently told me that the problem was three-fold. The first, was that remote work was expensive. The second, was that the large majority of employees saw productivity increase sharply for the first two weeks of remote work, then dropped off significantly after. And finally, and they both stressed this just as Andy did, utter lack of communication and collaboration between staff, departments, vendors, and customers.

2 Likes

LOL. They’re doing it wrong, then. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Remote work is effective if you hire the right employees.

Hiring the right employees requires competent management and keeping HR on a short leash.

I feel like I am living through the fall of Rome.

Bread and circuses do not make for effective economics, or for peace.

1 Like

I haven’t worked a job since my 20’s so a good 15 years. There is way too much downtime at an office where you’re twiddling your thumbs doing nothing. Now if you’re a great schmoozer and social - no one will catch on as long as your deliverables are made and or if your excuses are sound. Mine were and always gave it my most moderate effort. It’s flat compensation - why would I care except to collect OT whenever I could. My girl was told to slow down once when she was submitting her deliverables in too fast. So hey, it is what it is - you can essentially do two jobs at the same time from home and still meet delivery deadlines and have time for NFLX just because half the time of attending the job site goes in commute, the bathroom, coffee, socializing and slacking off

Sales and Business is very different especially when scale enters the room.

@lake makes himself sound so old like he lived through the fall or Rome :wink: - the fall of Rome was probably a fun time and then life moved on - I don’t think we’re going anywhere soon at least I don’t see it - our country rewards almost anyone who rises to the various challenges, especially in Business. And our geographic location makes it very expensive to sustain any hard war with us.

I mean the PRC plays a lot of games especially financing the fentanyl epidemic through Mexico but we have our bag of tricks too. I think there has to be overhaul of the political institutions in the country - hopefully peacefully but that is probably the only sore point we have with cascading effects - also an overhaul of our public good spending. But then this goes into the you know what and it shall not be named - or have I said too much already? If so, I will edit the comment to take out the last paragraph. Please let me know.

When you employ say 1.1 million people domestically and 1.6 million people globally, how would you propose to do this?

I completely understand how it might be possible if you are a small employer with two, five, perhaps a dozen employees… Furthermore, I completely understand that the best outside sales persons can’t be productive in the office…

But just how do Engineers, Technical writers, R&D, Marketing, Information Technologies, and Safety & Compliance teams work effectively, collaboratively, and productively outside the office?

3 Likes

If Amazon or any other larger corporation doesn’t have infrastructure in place to support efficient management of a primarily remote workforce, it’s not because such a thing is impossible or cost-prohibitive or ineffective; those are just excuses.

It’s simply because Amazon chooses not to. Maybe they are suspicious of their own employees, maybe they don’t want to go through a transition…but my personal guess is that they are simply too unorganized to make updates (just like with their .com foundational software system).

4 Likes

The better half of the house has been remote for 4 years (pre-covid) and if anything hours are longer. No commute so you start right away.

SOME INDUSTRIES work the same or better remote.

Call centers, Software Eng’s, etc all work fine remote.

Friend of mine is a Software Eng, and even when they are in the office, everything is done via slack. Meetings actually slow work down (in person) because lets face it, most meetings could have been a 3 line email.

This

3 Likes

You have a management structure which delegates authority to managers who are capable of making the appropriate decisions.

I have worked as a manager in large organizations, rising to the VP level (though not a senior VP) and consulted for other large organizations reporting to CEOs and Senior VPs.

Many middle managers were worthless, and were often included in layoffs to improve the company and its performance.

Working effectively used to be the norm, but that was before the HR drones took over the companies and regulatory compliance was a higher priority than merit or productivity.

There is collaborative work, and there is independent work. The job titles you raise suggest this should be collaborate work, but it is often misleading.

It is clear that tech writing at Amazon, for example, is not collaborative, but an example of independent fiction. Recent organizational changes suggest that the multitude of independent silos are falling.

Modern American Business does a poor job of curbing empire building middle managers, until forced to by economic changes.

Many of my consulting gigs were for Harvard MBA managed corporations, who had exceeded their ability to determine the state of their organization, their markets or specific aspects of both. The messages they were getting from their results, their managers and the workers were in conflict.

Amazon’s strengths have never been in managing their employees.

4 Likes

I am plenty old, going to be 77 in April.

I did not live through the fall of Rome, but know enough history to know it was not fun.

When I worked for others, I worked my butt off. All for a salary, albeit a generous one, and stock options and bonuses.

There was no fat in the organizations so if anyone did not pull their weight, things did not get done.

People were motivated, internally and financially to do their jobs and do them well.

By the 1970’s the HR buzzards were instituting controls and systems.

Jobs were graded “objectively” with Hay points assigned for how important they were.

A salary planning system was established. Every manager was given a percentage of payroll to use for raises. In order to award a stellar performer with a higher than average percentage raise, they had to reduce the raise for others.

I built a strong group of motivated individuals, and wanted to keep them intact. There was no way to do so.

So I added to my job. I rewarded the best generously, and helped the others find new jobs in other groups in the company. Employees who joined a group after the plan was written did not fall under the budget cap.

All of the people who transferred out of my group received above average raises, as did those who remained.

Remote work is just an added challenge to a system which is already failing to produce acceptable results.

And no one knows how to fix it. It must be done on an individual company basis.

But its effects must involve more. We have record numbers of jobs, but the new jobs created each month are relatively low paying jobs in hospitality and other service industries, while the higher paying jobs like the tech industries are decreasing. Read the details on the government numbers.

6 Likes

I guess context of role does matter so not ‘everything everywhere all at once’ but a good chuck of developers and ux folk work just fine remote for big tech.

Apple works like this at the moment and its working for them - sans whatever you may think of their brand and products

To lakes point I guess how effectively remains to be seen.

1 Like

Possible merits aside, workplaces are coming back in a hard way. Too many variables on any mid to large scale to simply just trust people.
Even if just 10-20% of your workforce is taking liberties on company time (positive the real number is larger) that’s us a pretty good reason to bring people back regardless.

3 Likes