Amazon sponsored 'small business week' in San Francisco and hosted a panel on how to start selling goods on its website

5/12/2023
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbusiness/amazon-sponsored-small-business-week-in-san-francisco-and-hosted-a-panel-on-how-to-start-selling-goods-on-its-website/ar-AA1b73RZ#image=AA1b6YEr|2

Bookstores, hardware stores, and other small businesses in San Francisco got a surprise during the city’s small business week: Amazon, perhaps their biggest competitor, is sponsoring the event.

The e-commerce giant is a top sponsor of the promotion and a “small business champion,” the San Francisco Chronicle reported Friday, citing the website of the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce.

That status has upset many small business owners, the Chronicle reported. Amazon has spent decades building its retail business, which has posed a serious threat to smaller businesses that sell everything from books to electronics.

San Francisco’s small business week events included a panel titled “How to Start Selling in Amazon’s Store,” according to the Chronicle.

“It’s in incredibly poor taste,” Eileen McCormick, the store manager at Green Apple, told the Chronicle. “It’s insulting. It’s ridiculous.”

Amazon did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the story from Insider. Amazon spokesperson Kelsey Friedrich told the Chronicle that sponsorships with local business groups are “just one of the ways we help create new opportunities for the small business community.”

Amazon has a complicated relationship with small businesses. They have become a key part of the company’s retail business, accounting for more than half of gross merchandise sales on the website.

Apparently, some people just don’t like Amazon very much.

Do you like Amazon?
  • Yes, Amazon is the greatest company ever!!
  • Sure, Amazon I buy and sell on Amazon.
  • I can take it or leave it.
  • The absolute worst! I hope they go bankrupt!
  • What, why wouldn’t I like rainforests?
0 voters
2 Likes

I was born just a few degrees north of the Amazon, and Caracas is in a valley formed by two ridges covered in rainforests :wink:

7 Likes

Beautiful country, I’d love to visit someday. Alas, politics…

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, just voted and saw the results! :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.