Any Way to Go After Stealing Customer?

So, we have a customer who has a calling card that I finally recognized. Every once in a while we get back this cheap grey duvet cover that weighs less than a pound instead of our 7lb sheet set.

Two came back this way in the past month, causing me to notice. Turns out we have a customer on Amazon that orders about 6 times per year, ranging from $152 to $250 per order, and he steals the order and sends back his calling card, a grey duvet cover, each time.

I finally alerted Amazon and asked for reimbursement on this last order, but he is over $1000 in theft at this point, so wondering if there is another step I can now take.

All feedback appreciated.

Filing claims as the orders are returned is the best way to protect your business. There is not much you can do to recoup previous losses unless you want to get law enforcement involved.

2 Likes

I have to agree with @maintak here. It is not a quick process, but Amazon DOES take notice as claims are filed and will shut down abusive customers.

The post orders if they were not reported there is unfortunately no way to report them now.

Explain this slowly.

I believe we’re discussing FBA orders?

How is one to report those orders?

And finally, why can’t previous orders be reported if the reporting process takes into account order ID’s and returned units?

Sorry, if it’s FBA, different beast. My post was in reference to FBM, my mistake

1 Like

If FBA, there is still a time limit for how long Amazon will care when you file a reimbursement claim, or any other kind of claim. From what @casbboy said it sounds like these orders haven been spread out going back over a year. For FBM orders, you would file a SAFE-T claim which has a 90 day window. For FBA claims I’m not sure there is the same hard cutoff, but there is still a point at which Amazon will no longer help you.

So basically, any recent past orders may still be eligible for a claim, but certainly not all of them.

1 Like

So what you’re saying, and I agree with you, is the “Grey Duvet Bandit” cannot be stopped easily.

The only thing that’s going to stop them is if sellers catch on like casbboy has and at least starts dinging recent orders. Eventually the algorithm will catch up with the bandit and shut him down (at least one account). Probably has many.

Wondering why he needs so many sheets? Might be a serial killer. I’d be careful.

3 Likes

:joy: Definitely not my first thought

Maybe they give them as gifts, I dunno.

Yes, or start hitting them with restocking fees, if FBM.

I’ve been watching too much dateline lately…

I’m curious to hear all the arguments for the ability to block a buyer on Amazon.

3 Likes

I’ve got a whack-job that has placed 875 orders with us FBA. 850 of them or so have been cancelled or returned - mostly cancelled.

I would love to block Joyce although we have made money with her so it’s just comical as I go over every single order we get manually to find targets for review requests to balance out the fake ones we get from our competitors and I see her name on the order list and know exactly what I am going to see when I click in…

I’m all for blocking… Amazon will never be so forget it.

Please, let’s keep using this. Yeah, started exactly a year ago. He bought two items, stole them… then started doing single items, if he wants a duvet/sheet set, he’ll order them back to back. Maybe figured too risky to do in same order now.

I only caught onto it because Amazon had delays in Inventory Removal, so I was finally able to put it together.

Oh, and FBA.

haha. Sorry, I just had to name this ahole…

I know they are causing an issue for you but that made me actually laugh out loud when it popped into my snarky head…

Good luck with the Grey Duvet Bandit!

2 Likes

Amazon rejected my claim, saying that sending back 2lbs for a 7lb item that doesn’t match the color, fabric, or brand, is a close enough match to our listing’s description to not warrant reimbursement.

I’m not kidding. I have photos of the LPN and shipping and what was returned from the last time he did this – but I let it go thinking wasn’t worth it – so filing a reimbursement request on that now too

I knew someone who would buy books on Amazon Kindle and return them within the return period. The person was using it as their library, so they never paid for any books. This person got banned from buying books. They couldn’t figure out why, because it was within the rules to return the books. Amazon does notice abusive behavior.

1 Like

I would escalate this to the jeff@ email.

I’m for blocking abusive customers, Amazon will never allow it though

EDIT:

This

1 Like

But only when it’s reported.
Use the Report a Violation form with any order numbers you have, Do each violation individually. If you file one at a time, that may catch some attention and possibly trigger a warning or suspension of the buyer.

3 Likes

This generic toaster pastry (Not gonna honor him with the brand-name “Pop-Tart”) is stealing, and reselling your stuff somewhere else.

If this were FBM, I’d just ship him back one of his crappy duvets on his next order!

But as it is FBA, the photos process is best - here’s my notes on “how to”:

This is the start point:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/help/center?mons_redirect=stck_reroute
(Click on “FBA Returns Reimbursement”)

The removal order ID is the order # for the FBA removal. You will find it on the packing slip that came with the removal order shipment. It’s also on the shipping label on the return box. (Remember - FBA only)

I would recommend pulling up that removal order just like you would a customer order. On that page you’ll get all the info you need to open the case. Removal Order ID. ASIN/FNSKU. Shipment ID (you’ll find it - keep looking)

You need to submit 6 pictures. This is key - don’t skip this. Amazon needs to be shown OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE

1. The return removal box. Get in the habit of opening these boxes upside down and not disturbing the return shipping label. Get a picture of the box showing the whole thing, “unopened”. Show the AI or support rep that the box was not damaged or opened before you got it. (So re-tape it closed on the bottom for the photo shoot if you do not photograph every box that comes in as if you were the CIA mailroom)

2. CLEAR close-up image of the return shipping label.

3. CLEAR image of the packing slip if available. If not, that’s ok, the shipping label had enough info - but the packing slip image is good to include as well.

4. The LPN sticker on the item. Clear. Large. Easy to read the LPN.

5. The incorrect item INSIDE the return carton.

6. The incorrect item taken out of the return carton and removed from any packaging, etc. Lay out all of the contents you’ve received in the return carton and take an overview picture of all of it next to the now empty return carton. Literally open the retail box if there is one and lay out everything on the floor or table. Spread it all out so the AI or rep can see everything.

Make sure these images are obvious and easy to tell what is in each image. Images with text - make sure you can read the text.

I edit all of my images, cropping them to make everything large and easy to read or see.

Rename all of the images to include "description_removal#, such as “Return Shipping Carton for Removal Order ID KNJ3QAZ17.jpg”

On the page where you upload the images, there is a space to enter the LPN. Make sure you type it in WITHOUT spaces.

If you want to lookup the original order that a return came from using the LPN, go here:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/reportcentral/CUSTOMER_RETURNS/0

Put in the LPN (No spaces) and change the event date to 180 days. That will show you the original order the return came from. See if your buyer has purchased multiple items from you and what the extent of their abusive behavior may be. What reason did they give when starting the return, etc.

As for reporting the buyer, you can report abuse here:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/abuse-submission/form/buyer-abuse-refund

Amazon will acknowledge that they “looked into it”. They will not describe any action taken. But Amazon does close accounts of those who steal from them.

6 Likes