Anyone else getting duplicate transactions for Returns?

Anyone else getting 2 entries on the Orders > Manage Returns page for certain returns? I’ve now had this happen twice in the last 2 weeks… the same order ID is used in each case for both of the double entries. These have been for single-item (book) orders. No idea why or what to make of it. I also have been getting duplicate email notifications in these cases as well…

2 Likes

The first time this happened I thought it was just a weird glitch, as there were different return reasons given. And the customer even returned 2 separate books to me somehow. Even though I only mailed them 1 as there was only 1 original order…

4 Likes

You can only refund once per order number, so if they are the same order number, then you process one refund. If they sent another book, you could return it to them if you so please and explain you only have one order from them and have refunded for one order per policy.

2 Likes

We have seen this in the past once or twice. I don’t think customers should even be allowed to open more than one return request for the same item, but somehow it happens. More Amazon baloney, to put it mildly. You could try marking one of them as completed, though I’m not sure what, if anything, that actually accomplishes.

3 Likes

How weird. Never tried “completing” a return. When I click that option, check out the reason options. It’s like they have this happen a lot… ok, I guess.

5 Likes

We have marked only a few as completed, because we get relatively few returns and because there is usually no apparent reason to do so, though who knows what Amazon really thinks “completed” means. The last time we used that functionality, it was because the customer had not returned the item and the allowable return window, per Amazon policy, had expired. I don’t know if the customer receives any notification when a return is marked as complete.

3 Likes

1 of the 2 should be completed (or Closed) as Duplicate Return.

We usually pay attention to mark the one that Customer tries to cheat of, as the duplicate, & leave the honest one open for processing.
(Also note that it is not always a CSTMR with bad intentions trying to cheat. It is just as commonplace to be an Amazon CS Rep trying to help the CSTMR by directing these CSTMR favorable selections, even when dis-honest [and contradicting CSTMR’s own words]).

if there is no obvious foul play, then the one most favorable to us, is left open for processing. If identical, we usually try to close the 2nd, unless CSTMR already used the return shipping label of 1.

4 Likes

It’s just weird and unclear to me how this is even possible. Y’all know how?

2 Likes

When you pile bad code atop old, outmoded code, as is Amazon’s wont, unintended consequences are inevitable.

4 Likes

If CSTMR contact’s amazon CS it is available to then agents, for sure.

But it seems to also be readily available if CSTMR needs to [wants to] report a different reason/issue than originally entered on the 1st return request

2 Likes