[Axios] Amazon Delivery Hub

2 Likes

Bodegas… delivering amazon packages?

Yeah, I don’t see it happening, unless it’s the bodega owner’s kids doing the deliveries. Most bodegas I’ve been to are either a front for drug sales or organized crime (or both), or they’re so crazy busy since they carry a ridiculous variety of items. (And typically make amazing cheesesteaks or egg sandwiches.)

Hint: If you go to a bodega and there’s few items on the shelves (and they’re old/covered with dust), then it’s probably the former.

2 Likes

Hahaha

$2.50 is less than the doordash tip for a taco bell order.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why they just wouldn’t contract with doordash/lyft/uber and have people just pick up packages at a warehouse and deliver them? It just seems so weird to add the “middle man” of a coffee shop or bodega that most likely doesn’t have delivery personnel, and if they did they would be too busy delivering their own stuff that I doubt they have time to run out to the warehouse to pick up packages. Must be some way to shift some sort of liability or costs to someone else? I understand Amazon probably doesn’t want to invest in a fleet of cars and drivers.

I really don’t know why Amazon doesn’t just offer pickup at their warehouse. Cut out the “delivery” part if you really want to save money. We live 20 minutes away from an Amazon warehouse. If I could order an item and then just drive out 20 minutes later to go pick it up I would.

They seem to think people would want to “Pick up” at a ups store, but if the UPS store is going to get the package the same time I would have it delivered by UPS to my house why would I ever leave my house to go pick it up at the UPS store. ?

2 Likes

It wouldn’t at all surprise me to learn that that consideration could’ve played something of a significant role in the calculations.

I’d do it too. Just like going to any other store.

Heck they just need to have the “ends” of the building (that don’t have the docks and are “useless” right now) be lined with Amazon Lockers. Pickup anytime after your locker is filled.

I guess I wasn’t far off on my “made up” program of having a resident of a neighborhood be the contractor that picks up/delivers for the neighborhood.

2 Likes

People are already too lazy to drive to the Amazon lockers or Kohls so I imagine the warehouse pickups are a dead end endeavor.

1 Like

I guess many are, but I know I have used a Locker several times when I didn’t want to have a reasonably expensive item sit on my porch for hours.

To be fair, the additional Commercial Liability insurance requirements that would obtain in such a scenario, alone, are perhaps enough to preclude adoption.

We are inhabiting a very litigious society…

2 Likes

How much more could it be though?
Lockers are at gas stations, gyms, etc.
Yes the warehouses don’t currently have customer traffic. Maybe have the lockers at the edge of the property right off the public access roads or some fencing that separates the customers from the rest of the warehouse work.

1 Like

A fair point, to be sure - but let us not lightly overlook @ModernSwitch’s astute observation upthread:

If various entities are already clamoring to join the Amazon Locker Program - and by all available lights, it seems that there’s no shortage of takers for its expansion - wouldn’t it be more likely that Amazon would prefer using that approach, and thereby defraying additional costs that it would elsewise entail itself?

I guess I assumed that there was some direct monetary incentive to the gas station, gym, etc.

I just did a search and apparently there is no money to the store just the opportunity of traffic to your locker location.

So there is no “space rental fee” that Amazon is paying that could be used instead to offset liability of just having them at their own FBA warehouse.

It still would take time for them to deliver to a locker. I understand the point of lockers especially for people who are not home all day or who live in apartments. They do fulfill a need. I understand too if they are a locker in a hub in the middle of nowhere.

In SoCal I can walk 5 minutes to the left to a 7 11 where there are lockers or 5 minutes to the right where there is a ups store.

I guess I’m just trying to wrap my brain around adding more middlemen as a delivery option. It’s not to benefit the customer it’s to benefit amazon clearly. If they wanted to give to the benefit of the customer they would say “what does the customer want that we don’t offer” Answer is warehouse pickup.

Customers are already getting packages delivered.

Amazon is just trying to save a dollar somewhere. Nothing about this is promising quicker or more accurate deliveries. Gives amazon an excuse to blame someone else if something goes wrong. As I said above the only weird thing I don’t get is why not invest in a company who already has a network of drivers willing to drive. I guess amazon thinks they can build something from the ground up for cheaper??

2 Likes

I think Amazon likes the idea of tethering some ratio of an unrelated small business’s income to Amazon’s own success in some way. Just like Kohl’s and other return drop off locations (that aren’t UPS) and locker sites, it gives these businesses reasons to publicize and promote Amazon locally.

It’s Amazon getting its fingers deep into the fabric of a community, with little outlay, no personnel, and limited liability: if everyone depends on Amazon “a little bit” for income, then everyone has a vested interest in its success.

It’s a backdoor competition with “shop online, same day curbside pick up” for brand loyalty.

Meanwhile, this Amazon shopper does not want less-vetted random local business delivery/gig drivers knowing anything about me and my online shopping habits and routines, that I didn’t specifically choose to share with them.

I don’t like this. Big ick factor. :grimacing:

3 Likes

With the rise in “delivery everything”, our co-op has expanded the “package room” to meet the need for more space to shelve all the packages, and we had to add a chest freezer and a large fridge for the grocery deliveries that arrive when someone’s out and about. Selected food-delivery people are not allowed to deliver to apartments themselves, likely because they did something stupid. (The elevator opens directly into each apartment’s foyer, so the elevator operator is along in the elevator with the delivery person.) But the bodegas in Manhattan do NOT deliver! You go to them!

I’ve not yet seen an Amazon locker, or maybe I saw one, and did not recognize it as such but I did see the Home Depot version of the same thing, and it seems a very good way to avoid the porch pirate problem. A lot of small businesses (mostly laundries) will receive and hold packages for people who live in non-doorman buildings, and they charge for the service, so the “lockers” should be very popular.

It’s me. I’m the lazy. Never used a locker. It needs to be delivered to my door.

Periot

2 Likes

ICWYDT.

And I like it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.