BUY BOX? Has something changed in the programming?

Here’s just 1 of a few examples I have found.
So a [brand new - no feedback yet) seller puts a really low price but charges a bunch of shipping.

Bargain right?
bargain

BUT it’s getting them the buy box over monster sellers with over 100K feedbacks & lower (TOTAL) price?

Showing 83% off is really deceitful by Amazon to fool the unaware.
I’m wondering if some new code is giving a push to these types of tactics or should we all start doing the $0.01 thing + shipping?

Link here

Amazon has conditioned many to accept the buy box and by the page view everything looks fine & dandy

1 Like

Since I started working for this company and got involved in selling on Amazon, the way I approach all online shopping, and shopping in general, has changed radically.

1 Like

I, myself feel they (Amazon) should add the price + shipping when showing consumers the % OFF the regular price…it’s just the right thing to do. I can see my 80+ yrs old mom falling for this easy.

Some guy with 2 pieces in an apartment with no feedback and a new seller gets the buy box with a higher price? Just seems like something is off.

Even beating FBA Sellers @ $11.49

I’m going to take some 10 non-moving items and try this and see what happens.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I’m 100% on board with the idea that Amazon should make even token efforts to help buyers not get scammed. Remember that story from the beginning of covid where a woman bought some paper towels for a cheap price, then got hit with a shipping charge of hundreds of dollars?

2 Likes

If I search for Cantu Style Gel or Cantu Grapeseed Style Gel

That product has a prime offer at $10.99 featured.

Maybe they sold out or maybe you are getting a result which differs from mine because of our locations.

Get the same results as Lake. The new seller in question is 5th on my list of offers.

Link here

I still see the $1.99 guy. I’m just trying to figure out in what universe, from what I have seen here for a long time, would someone new without feedback or large qty win with a high price? Other than the fact he’s the only one pulling the $1.99 + shipping thing.

I just thought the days of selling for a penny and adding big freight was over.

It’s like that new show SILO - Nobody who’s there now there knows how things came to be as they are. So maybe some newbie coder coded out adding the shipping into some of their visual calculations.

Or when some received their post card and the code is invalid.
Or when “United States” was not an option for some in the verification process.

I’ll test a few slow items and then check the metrics in a few weeks to see if there is any difference. it will be fun

Or at least I can rule it out as something we need start thinking about

1 Like

You may be underestimating the effect of location which offer has the Buy Box. You might also be missing what ever effect your buying history has on the offers which are displayed.

@JustHere4TheComments and I may differ in from you in ways that impact what we see,

IMO 22 offers for a niche product is too many to be part of the listing, but I do not like crowds.

Since I have made it clear in past posts on the OSFE I tried selling health and beauty on Amazon and found it to be not work my effort, in spite of good sources and great prices. And this was before product gating was a reality. You might think I am unsympathetic.

■■■■■■■’ and moanin’ is not the way I want to live. And there are far too many unavoidable aspects in life to motivate that behavior.

2 Likes

I have no buying history with my seller account.

New guy is in Florida
OTCRx4u in in New Jersey 103K feedback . I’m in new York

I’m just trying to learn more about buy box an I’ll use any clue I can find to help increase our chances.

This item and a few others I have found have recently have made me re-think what I thought I already knew about the buy box in 10+ years. (Feedback, Speed, Price, Quantity, Account Health) but this seller has none of that so I just want to know how & what’s the missing piece to the puzzle.

So it brought me to think about the low price & high shipping…That I need to test.

Can’t be Amazon showing sympathy :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Not sure, but I was thinking…I don’t have prime on this account. I am wondering if they are giving a prime offer in the BB so that they can harass me into signing up for prime when I go to checkout. It happens every time I check out.

I do have Prime on my account.

I could easily believe an account with no buying history could get this crappy offer in the Buy Box.

More likely to sucker with a lowball price with high shipping.

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused on how that listing is up. The title states 16.5oz jar, the image is of an 18.5oz jar, and to really confuse me the price in the listing reads in part

$1.99 ($1.99 / Fl Oz)

What would a customer even be buying…?? If they for some reason thought they really needed to rub a solution of water, carbomer, Polysorbate-20, VP/VA Copolymer, Fragrance, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Aminoethyl Propanol, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, and Glycerin on their scalp.

1 Like

You have some Eagle eyes :eye: :eye:

Ok so the item is an 18.5.
Looks like someone put 1 Fl Oz (Pack of 1) in the SIZE FIELD.

One of the many issues when many many sellers are on 1 asin.
Amazon takes bits & pieces of contributions from different sellers.

I guess someone thought that was a good idea.

And it will remain that way because an attempt to add the proper “SIZE” gives an error.
“The value ‘18.5 Ounce (Pack of 1)’ specified cannot be used as it conflicts with the value ‘1 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)’ for ASIN ‘B08NCYYMBZ’”

Click : Insert Sad Trombone sound

4 Likes

This guy…
bot
Speculation that people will soon lose their jobs to AI might be a bit premature…

1 Like

Looking forward to your test results because def looks like super low price + high shipping is a winner & that needs to be fixed (good luck on that). Guess we may have to play the game but feels so sleazy
Geez one thing after another on this toxic platform. :weary:

3 Likes

I spent a great many years avoiding mass market retail as both a seller and buyer. And then I needed some cash flow and chose Amazon as a means of obtaining it.

Were Amazon the kindest, most benign company, I probably would have come to hate it.

And there I was selling everything from mass market to niche products on Amazon, meeting my goals and discontinuing every mass market product and category from my Amazon offerings.

Is it any wonder that I found myself at a level of feelings there was not enough money for me to continue to tolerate.

Not everyone is as poor a fit as I was, Not everyone can be a poor fit and still meet their financial goals. Not everyone is as intolerant as I am. But a lot of people are and more people should be. And a lot more thought should go into finding other source of that green stuff which supports life. And that green stuff is not what vegans eat.

they really needed to rub a solution of water, carbomer, Polysorbate-20, VP/VA Copolymer, Fragrance, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Aminoethyl Propanol, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, and Glycerin on their scalp.

LOL-a son who is an environmental chemist makes the same sort of comments-usually at the dinner table. We’ve learned to ignore him. .

Younger women will do anything to make themselves attractive, particularly if the product is inexpensive or a “deal”. The example certainly is misleading.

One thing about becoming older, I’m more comfortable in my skin!! Have accepted the fact I resemble a dumpy tomato…my mom used to tell us the inside was what counted. I’m really in trouble.

1 Like

:cry: Youth is wasted on the young.

I must have a screw loose, inexpensive, cheap, and on sale don’t have me reaching for my wallet. I figure that if the store has to put it on sale, it must be rubbish. If the product is rubbish, why would I spend my money on it?

Though assuming anyone’s gender is now rather dicey, I suppose you, @SawleMill, have never been a woman!!

Females since at least the mid-19th century, when newspapers/magazines became available to the masses, have been bombarded w/ miracle creams/lotions/unguents; undergarments and beauty-encouraging regimens. The fashion industry thrives on making us lovely or, in recent times, noticeable, .

Since the boomers are now retiring, models w/ gray or white hair and a few well-placed smile-lines and crow’s-feet are now featured in beauty ads. As a person who decided to quit trying to hide my own natural hair color at age 60 after fighting the aging-process w/ salon treatments of every sort(every 6-8 weeks) for 2 decades-could probably buy a Cadillac Escalade w/ the $$ spent- I know of what I speak!!

5 Likes