Chargeback after 4 months - tracking information no longer available online

Order shipped mid January. Chargeback initiated 5/15/23.

Shipped UPS Mail Innovations. I do not purchase postage from Amazon.

Tracking information available online is no longer public.

I can probably get a copy of the USPS intranet tracking printed out from my local postmaster.

Is there a way to create a case to scan and upload the proof of delivery and pass it to my chargeback representation?

1 Like

So sorry. This is like a double bite in the a$$. CC companies usually go by 120 days and this sounds like it is right on the line, then USPS used to keep tracking for 6 months and I’ve noticed that it is now only available for 4 months unless you pay for extended tracking access for EVERY package. (what a total BS money grab)

I hope you can get tracking from your local postmaster.

I wonder if in this scenario, even if you brought Amazon shipping if their tracking declaration would be enough to defend a charge back.

Totally unfair CC companies give buyers 4 months to figure out they did not receive an order or that buyers use charge backs for warranty issues etc. :angry:

Good luck

4 Likes

I have had chargebacks as old as a year in the past.

The issuing bank makes its own decisions on whether to open the chargeback.

The rules have their roots in Federal Consumer Protection Laws, so they are biased in the buyer’s favor. There are more buyers than sellers, so the political arithmetic is clear.

The chargeback may not be INR so it is not clear what the effects on the tracking disappearance will be, if Amazon represents your claim, Nor is it clear that Amazon will not fund the claim if you lose.

Short of very big ticket items, doing what ever you can do to represent your claim is better than trying to move mountains.

Each of us such expect to lose some claims, and if we lack the margin to absorb that, it is a major strategy flaw. And if we wish to expend effort because it isn’t fair, that is not a business issue, that is a personality characteristic.

3 Likes

Do this now, but don’t try to send it to Amazon yet. Wait and see how the chargeback goes.

The one that I’ve ever had was funded by the bank (I guess?) because it was an unauthorized card usage.

2 Likes

Amazon covers unauthorized card usage (with proof of shipment).

1 Like

Yep, it’s actually pretty insulting. Your government thinks that all companies are inherently dishonest and wealthy. And that consumers with credit cards are all inherently, stupid, poor, and honest (not necessarily in that order).

:thinking:

However, consumers with cash (debit card) aren’t extended the same protections.

3 Likes

But they were developed when the issue was consumer vs sleezy mail order operators. A context which differs from today (or not).

Expecting a loosening of regulatory requirements with the passage of time is unrealistic. The explanation of why would conflict with the restrictions on political speech we have agreed to by participating in this forum

4 Likes

I just got one of these.

USPS saves tracking for 120 days.
Scammer waits an extra week “127 days” files claim.

So I emailed the USPS [email protected] and asked
Can I get tracking details on this number.
It’s from 4 months ago – so it’s not in the online system anymore

They sent me back a screenshot of the delivery address & date.
I uploaded the image to my ftp so I could have a link to the image and I added that link to the chargeback case since you can’t attach anything. Now they can see it (possibly) unless their system blocks outside links,who knows.

Note: the USPS response time was 1 hr :star_struck:

4 Likes

USPS FTW :partying_face::clap:

(body is QUITE clear)

I just got a second chargeback for the same order. I guess the first time didn’t work because tracking showed it was delivered, so they waited until tracking shows label created but not shipped (it’s been longer than 4 months).

I have a kiosk receipt but can’t upload it. I can get an archived tracking copy, but it’s not worth it if I can’t upload the info.

Why? Why? Why??? I have the world’s most liberal return policy. If they wanted a refund for this $8 item, all they had to do was ask.

7 Likes

They did a chargeback for $8? Holy sht. Unfortunately usually the second chargeback is a win for the customer.

-Ana

2 Likes

But if the first chargeback is a loss, why is the second chargeback a win?

1 Like

Every chargeback I have seen where the first one was reversed and the customer won the second one seems to always be lost on Amazon, IOW, the seller ends up eating it. I don’t know why, but Amazon doesn’t seem to fight the second one.

-Ana

2 Likes

Even if they honor the chargeback, I will fight the ODR hit. I remembered last night that for the previous chargeback, I went and took a screenshot of the tracking. Whew! I have receipts that show delivery and on-time shipping. It was also Amazon Buy Shipping, so they should not fault me for this.

3 Likes