[CNN] Amazon raises (Non-Prime) free shipping minimum

Eva Rothenberg, CNN
Published 4:50 PM EDT, Mon August 28, 2023 page.

Amazon is raising its free shipping threshold for some customers.

To qualify for free shipping, non-Prime members typically have to purchase an order totaling at least $25. On Monday, the e-commerce giant said it has raised that minimum to $35.

“We continually evaluate our offerings and make adjustments based on those assessments,” Amazon spokesperson Kristina Pressentin told CNN. “We’re currently testing a $35 minimum for non-Prime customers to qualify for free shipping. Prime members continue to enjoy free delivery on over 300 million items, with tens of millions of items available for free Same or One-Day Delivery.”
Amazon says it has more than 200 million Prime members across 25 countries, and the shifting goalposts for free shipping could drive more consumers to pay the roughly $140 annual fee to join its Prime service.

The threshold testing is being carried out for regions based on zip codes, meaning that all customers in a given region will see the new policy applied to their orders.

The move comes after Amazon announced that its first Prime Day of 2023 on July 11 was “the single largest sales day in company history.

1 Like

I’m not opposed to this. $35 free ship is still considered low in e-commerce. Standard I think is $50-100

1 Like

To qualify for free shipping, non-Prime members typically have to purchase an order totaling at least $25. On Monday, the e-commerce giant said it has raised that minimum to $35.

Wait a minute. Didn’t it always used to be $35? :thinking:

I thought it was $35 for like forever… with free 5-8 day delivery as the standard too :laughing:… and dropping it to $25 happened somewhere around 5 years ago?

Prime members continue to enjoy free delivery on over 300 million items, with tens of millions of items available for free Same or One-Day Delivery.”

I find that funny. Prime members (and everyone else) get free delivery on everything, the only difference being you must spend $25, now $35 as a non-member. So on the ‘300 million’ items, it’s nearly the same for everyone, but only ‘tens of millions’ (maybe 10 - 20%) get the extra super special fast delivery Prime members think is so valuable.

Silly Amazon. :roll_eyes:

the shifting goalposts for free shipping could drive more consumers to pay the roughly $140 annual fee to join its Prime service.

Really? They think raising the minimum to $35 will somehow make a $140 Prime membership seem more valuable??? :woman_facepalming:

its first Prime Day of 2023 on July 11 was “the single largest sales day in company history.

I’d sure like to know how they define ‘single largest sales day’. Because I thought Prime Day this July was pretty much of a dud.

1 Like

I think it has bounced between 25 and 35 at least once

1 Like

I would guess inflation helps them when they make those claims. I’d have to dig deep in my archives to see what they said about unit sales (if they did).

It’s this kind of crap that you know they’re pulling though. :angry:

Caraway, True Classic, and TUSH-Y increased their average daily sales in Amazon’s store by over 18x during the first day of the Prime Day event when compared to 2023 leading up to Prime Day.

Most readers are going to read that they sold 18X more on Prime Day than on an average day (which is what Amazon wants you to read).

But no, that’s not what it says. What it says is that Prime Day is 18X better than the days preceding Prime Day. Well no ■■■■ Sherlock. :roll_eyes: :woman_facepalming:

The two weeks leading up to Prime Day usually suck, as people stop buying, waiting for Prime Day so they can buy stuff cheaper. So if Prime Day is 18X better than one of the sucky days leading up to Prime Day, then how does it compare to an average day? Amazon doesn’t say.

Amazon offered more Prime Day deals on small business products than ever before

This also doesn’t bode well. If there were more deals, then there might have been more sales, but less profits. We could create a blowout ‘sales’ day if we all dropped our prices by 50% for one day, but would anyone want to?

Prime members shop more deals beyond Amazon using Buy with Prime
This Prime Day, members shopped deals beyond the Amazon store using Buy with Prime, a new Prime member perk that offers U.S.-based members the benefits they love and trust when shopping directly from participating brands’ websites

Sure, if you count sales made on other sites, in your Prime Days numbers, of course it’s going to look like you had the best sales day ever. :rage:

1 Like

That’s my impression too – though I do remember $25 – but several years ago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.