Crowdstrike and Microsoft: What we know about global IT outage

Daughter left Malpensa Airport in Milan Italy this morning coming home
Arrived with just a 1 hour delay at JFK in New York.
She flew on Emerites
Delta UA cancelled all flights out of Milan Rome Fumichino
I’m at JFK now 9:50 pm
Nightmare driving here remember why I don’t miss NY

4 Likes

I’m glad your daughter made it home safely. :hugs:

5 Likes

Thank you
She enjoyed Italy as her home for the past 7 years .
I’m happy to have her home permanently.

8 Likes

And in a few years when AI breaks some critical system, there won’t be any humans with enough knowledge to fix it. It’s not a case of if this will happen, but when.

7 Likes

Microsoft Sysop: “I’m running third party software that can brick my system when it fails.”

Linux sysop: “Hahhahahahahahahahahaha”

4 Likes

You beat me to it. Security is built in to Unix/Linux unlike Windoze.

-Ana

4 Likes

In my head EVERY TIME anything “unix”

5 Likes

A few more for the non-Windows crowd

7 Likes

Buyer banner today

2 Likes

“It’s not Amazon’s fault your order is late.” :person_facepalming:

3 Likes

Airlines that ferry US mail are backlogged also due to the Crowdstrike fiasco.

4 Likes

I hope Amazon gives 3Ps the same grace they’re giving themselves. :eyes:

9 Likes
1 Like

We had added two additional cell phones in May. One of the new lines had robocalls from day one … around 6 to 8 robocalls per day. In addition, that same line would get an additional 6 to 8 spam texts per day. The other new cell only received maybe 3 robocalls and one or two spam texts in the entire time we have had it.

Since the Crowdstrike melt down, there have been zero robocalls and no spam text messages on any of the 4 cell phones that we have.

We find that interesting (and hope we haven’t jinks ourselves) and view the Crowdstrike meltdown as a blessing in disguise (at least for now).

Anyone else notice a welcomed unexpected result after the Crowdstike meltdown?

3 Likes

It may have taken out the scammy phone carriers they use to land their calls on the US phone network. I HOPE it’s linked to the FCC recent crackdown and authorization to carriers to block a known bad actor.

There is NO WAY the call centers use crowdstrike! They barely activate windows in those sweat shops they can’t afford a crowdstrike license per pc! LOL

4 Likes

Fortunately for Linux, there are not enough users to require added security and there is little publicity when it is breached.

This failure was due to a bug in a secure kernal driver for Crowdstrike, IMO if there is a need for a secure kernal driver for Windows it should be written by Microsoft and only Microsoft.

Needless to say the FTC, The DOJ and the EU would consider that to be unfair compatible practice and a new windfall would be created for the legal profession.

IMO Microsoft should be considering some well targeted lawsuits for defamation to those who have blamed Microsoft for Crowdstike’s failure.

2 Likes

Correction of mistyping in the prior post.

1 Like

I think it might be appropriate for us all to pray for Delta Airlines which appears to require help in resolving the problems recovering their systems.

3 Likes

I was just reading an article last night that the EU is disavowing any responsibility for the “incident” due to their (fill in your own adjectives) policies/rules and is blaming Microsoft for everything.

2 Likes

Inbound FBA shipment sent UPS:

Shipped July 18, Crowdstrike struck July 19.
Shipment sat in PA for 6 days before continuing to NJ.

4 Likes