Customer gave incomplete address and now the item is lost

Customer gave incomplete address and now the item is lost

"I shipped an item a month ago by UPS. The buyer now claims he did not receive it. He is asking for a refund. The tracking shows there was an attempted delivery 3 weeks ago. I then show it was returned to an unknown address in another state last week.When I looked at the account and packing slip,it turns out the buyer did not include the street name and number. He claims he has bought from Amazon before without a problem. I think Amazom is culpable because they let this incomplete address slip through, So who is culpable? Me, Amazon or UPS or the buyer?

If I do refund him, does he have to ask for it formally or do I just do it? What proof will I have to show UPS?"

How would you handle this?

The seller is obviously responsible for the refund;
Tracking shows it was returned to an unknown address; they could contact UPS to find out where the package was actually delivered/returned to and why, not sure how much good that will do;
but I would say the seller is probably :poop: out of luck.

2 Likes

If the ups label was purchased with Amazon buy shipping then it was returned to Amazon in KY(I think ky).

Refund it. Seller has proof it was not delivered.

If it was sent back to an amazon warehouse they do have a good track record of getting the item back to the seller. No way to track it or ask, just gotta trust the process

4 Likes

He claims he has bought from Amazon before without a problem.

I wonder how that works, exactly?

I ordered something, but didn’t give the shipper my address, and they magically got it to me anyway.

Too much reliance on magic, it seems.

I’d be tempted to (politely/snidely?) ask the buyer to enlighten me as to how this magical ‘delivery without address’ process works. Because I’m honestly curious. It could be a useful thing, if you knew how to use it. :grin:

1 Like

If you are looking at the packing slip after a month, the packing slip will not have a street address … only the buyer name and city, state. The street address would have been removed by Amazon (normal process by Amazon).

If you bought the label via Amazon Buy Shipping, see if you can reprint the shipping label. The address that it was shipped to will be on the shipping label for you to see. We know this can be done on USPS labels but can not confirm it will work on UPS. If you can reprint the UPS label, please post a confirmation that it worked so the forum will know it works for both USPS and UPS.

4 Likes

If you bought through Amazon Buy Shipping, then this is covered by Amazon INR.

2 Likes

Marbles, you realize it’s not Medic asking this question, right? You probably do, but I keep getting confused myself, so to clarify for anyone reading who doesn’t understand this…

The ‘NSFE Talkback’ area of our forums is for bringing in questions that were originally posted in NSFE where the user didn’t get any help, or any accurate help.

That lets us discuss the (non-existent) help Amazon gave, as well as discuss how we would have handled it. @Medic posts a lot of these, and I’m always tripped up into thinking it’s him asking for help. :laughing:

To start a discussion on an NSFE post, follow @Medic’s format -

• Provide a link to the question on the NSFE forums
  • Include the content of the post as text
  • Provide a screenprint of the NSFE post

And post it in the ‘NSFE Talkback’ area.

4 Likes

There is another possibility in this scenario.

Just because the seller is, at the present time, not seeing a street name and number on the order and on the packing list, does not necessarily mean that the information wasn’t there at the time the order was placed.

Depending on how loosely the seller is using the time frame “I shipped an item a month ago,” the order could now be in the status of having those bits of information stripped by Amazon “for privacy purposes.”

One factor that seems to be missing is whether this seller actually purchased his shipping via Amazon’s Buy Shipping function, or whether he is blaming Amazon because he thinks Amazon gave him an invalid address.

NB: Sorry, Medic–it appears I am quoting you. I haven’t quite figured out the quote function on this new forum.

2 Likes

Yes … kind of giving the response we would have given so it could be copy/pasted back to NSFE.

2 Likes

Highlight the text as if you were going to copy it. There will be a little “Quote” box pop up. Click that and it will open the reply box or place it in the reply box if already opened.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

3 Likes

I was thinking that as well, but I only think that is for FBA orders.

I checked on a few older orders dating back 90 days and the shipping address is still showing on the order and also comes up if I print a packing slip. :thinking:

I don’t think it would qualify for coverage on Buy-Shipping because the package shows it was ‘returned.’

1 Like

I was thinking that as well, but I only think that is for FBA orders.

Nope, it goes away on FBM orders too, within a matter of days, at least for many of us. I “assumed” it would still print on the packing slip, but checked after reading @SallyAnne’s comment and was surprised to see it missing from there too.

2 Likes

I think you are right, the most likely scenario is that it made it’s way back to an Amazon warehouse, but I would be very surprised if Amazon will ever return it to the OP.

I read a few posts a while back on the OSFE that Amazon doesn’t do that anymore, they just go into a black hole. Probably end up in lost and found lost.

2 Likes

I checked on a few older orders dating back 90 days

Where are you checking it at? When I used to use Stamps.com, it used to save the addresses internally after importing them from Amazon, so if you’re using one of their software programs like ShipStation, maybe you’ll still see the address, but not if you check the Amazon order with Amazon.

2 Likes

@Lost_My_Marbles @Roxy

You are right; I was looking at the wrong dates…

Yup, another senior moment…:person_facepalming:

…and no label reprint option.

1 Like

You could be right, it’s been a long time for us.

1 Like

We just did a check. It appears you can reprint USPS up to 30 days after shipping.
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 19-17-24 Manage Orders
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 19-17-57 Manage Orders

The street address on the packing slip disappears about about 10 to 14 days after delivery. So that means there is about a 14 day period after delivery where you could do a reprint of the USPS label to get a street address if needed.

We can’t remember off of the top of our head who it was but we remember someone saying that they saved a PDF copy of each label. That could be a lot of work if you had a high sales volume. For us, that 14 day window is important when we have to wait 15 days from the day of shipping to file an USPS insurance claim when an order goes missing.

2 Likes

We can’t remember off of the top of our head who it was but we remember someone saying that they saved a PDF copy of each label.

Didn’t the system used to save the copy as a temp file in Windows automatically? I’ve recently had to replace my PC and trying to access the Windows temp folder tells me I’m not authorized. :laughing: I’m not sure why I’m not authorized on the machine that only I have access to, but whatever.

Maybe the temp files are stored someplace differently or no longer created the way they were before.

@Pepper_Thine_Angus ?

1 Like

That is good info and practice to have, even if just doing it for high-ticket items.

1 Like

Ours would drop it into the Downloads folder if we were downloading it (like Shipstream does). But on Amazon, it opens in a separate browser window to print so there would be nothing in temp or the Downloads folder. Our temp folder would be cleared out just by closing our browser (that’s how we have it set).

We print a Packing Slip to hold on file (proof of business if needed for taxes - receipts type thing) so we will always have the address anyhow.

Probably a settings thing (administrator) … we are Windows 11 and don’t get that error.

1 Like