Deleting templates question

I still have some SKUs on my SFP template, and I want to move them all back to the main shipping template. (I have given up all hope that SFP will ever be viable again.) If I just delete this template, will the orphaned SKUs automatically migrate to my default template?

2 Likes

I have never deleted a template which had assigned SKU’s.

I do not know the actual answer to your question but Amazon states:

Note: You must first re-assign SKUs to another template before you can delete a template. To know more, refer Assign SKUs to shipping templates.

click for reference image

1 Like

You can use a item template to partial-update those SKU’s to a different template first in bulk with copy & paste of the skus.

…Templates here

Ex/ Inventory loader:

• Sku
  • merchant_shipping_group_name
  • add-delete = a *(for add or edit)
1 Like

Bah.

Thanks.

1 Like

I always try 1 first to make sure it’s working as desired when trying out a new upload.

2 Likes

Me too. But I also hate working with uploads and templates to start with. Oh well.

Or setup the SFP template to match the MAIN template & rename it MAIN2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought of that, but then I would have to remember to duplicate any changes I make to the default template, and if Amazon does anything stupid to my settings, I would have to remember to fix it on both templates…
1 template is better.

2 Likes

I save the unwanted template and rename it to “z oldname” to force it to the bottom of the shipping templates list. But I don’t delete it because I have reused old templates whenever Amazon makes wonky changes.

Marilyn

If I just delete this template, will the orphaned SKUs automatically migrate to my default template?

I don’t see that anyone mentioned this yet, but if you try to delete a template with SKU’s assigned to it, the system will throw an error and you won’t be allowed to. This includes any inactive/sold out SKU’s that might be assigned to it. It prevents you from accidentally deleting a template you’re using.

So you first have to remove all those SKU’s from the template you want to delete and reassign them to another one. Of course, once you’ve removed them all, there’s no longer any reason to delete the template.

If you don’t want to do it with a file upload, you can reassign them in batches in Manage Inventory, 250 at a time. Depending on how many SKU’s you have, it can be kind of a pain because, after each update, the system kicks you back to page 1 of Manage Inventory again.

The fastest/easiest way would be to simply change your SFP template settings as @Sundance suggested. That at least solves the problem now, and then you can reassign all the SKU’s later, if still desired.

but then I would have to remember to duplicate any changes I make to the default template

You could rename the template “Don’t forget to change this template too if you make changes to Main”. :laughing:

1 Like

@Old-Timer mentioned it. I haven’t had a chance to deal with it yet. Fortunately, I was very picky about what items I listed as SFP so there aren’t that many, but its still a hassle.

This plan seems foolproof. Nothing could go wrong.

1 Like

@Old-Timer mentioned it.

Yes, I saw where he mentioned it. But I never trust that what Amazon says is what Amazon does. I was confirming, from personal experience, that the system won’t actually allow it. :laughing:

This is what happens if you try.

I appreciate that.

1 Like

Ugg, you are all right, as in correct.

Bookmarked, “The end of SFP” I have to clean up the shop this weekend.