Did I go too far?

Customer nearly 700 miles away bought a pesticide not returnable on the 4th. It is out for delivery today the 6th. They wrote today, “Tried to cancel within a few hours of order before product shipped. Sent messages and have had no response.”

I advised them to refuse delivery.

They replied, “No one is at the delivery address during the day. Please make sure with shipper that a signature is required. That way it won’t be delivered.” Followed two minutes later with, “FYI: Your page on Amazon does not say that returns are not accepted.” And a minute later, “I asked to cancel an order within a few hours. Unless you ship at night, the item would not have gone out before my request to cancel.”

It rubbed me the wrong way, and in haste and anger (Yes, I know in the OG forums I advised often to not respond to customers hastily or angrily. It was wrong and I should have acted more professionally) I pounded out the following;

*"I refuse to apologize for or defend our commitment to service in delivering a product prohibited from air transport more than 600 miles in under 48 hours at no additional charge. *

You have a right to file an A-Z claim with Amazon if you are unsatisfied with your order.
Federal Law obligates me to advise you of your right under The Fair Credit Billing Act to dispute this purchase with your card issuer.

I am disappointed that you are not 100% satisfied with your order.

We consider this matter resolved and may not respond to further messages."

After a cooling off period, (@Default_Username, I was not listening to Tibetan healing bowls). Did I go too far? Should I just give this guy a refund?

What say all of you, disinterested third-parties?

5 Likes

When you say not returnable do you you mean Amazon won’t provide a label?

In some cases we send a PDF return label back to them in the message.

1 Like

No, I mean that FIFRA prohibits the transfer of used/opened pesticides (with limited exceptions for disposal). Used in regards to pesticides is legally defined as upon a consumer taking possession.

3 Likes

Ahhh, I see.
You don’t seem to have any wiggle room.

Maybe offer him a partial refund to keep it?
It’s better than being out 100%

1 Like

It wasn’t the monetary loss, normally I would have just refunded 100%. It was the ■■■■■■■■ and complaining about getting his stuff in two-days and not using signature confirmation rubbed me wrong this morning.

I’ll probably authorize a refund after eating

0000beef

my lunch…

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think you went far enough. I would have told him to shove his hippie Tibetan healing bowls where the sun don’t shine.

But, ever since I had a customer threaten to burn my children alive in a fire, most customers don’t get to me as much anymore.

#Perspective #Namaste

Also, since we posting our lunches.

3 Likes

This line right here. Win

4 Likes

*"I refuse to apologize for or defend our commitment to service in delivering a product prohibited from air transport more than 600 miles in under 48 hours at no additional charge. *

I think that’s a darn professional way of saying - Look, you bleeping moron…

Although… I am always a fan of ‘educating’ the customer (teaching bleeping morons a lesson can be fun too - no Tibetian singing bowls for me today) and I probably would have explained things to him, so he would understand, and also be less likely to act the same way to the next guy.

Tried to cancel within a few hours of order

Did this happen? It sounds like he’s saying he ordered at night, and thinks you ignored/missed his cancellation request and shipped the order the next day anyway. Did you? If so, then you should have apologized, at least for that.

The part that would have irked me the most is when he asked for a signature confirmation on a package that had already shipped. That would have earned him an explanation of how that works, and a not-so-subtle reminder that whether he later requested cancelled or not, he probably shouldn’t have placed an order to be delivered to a place that couldn’t receive it in the first place.

FYI: Your page on Amazon does not say that returns are not accepted.”

Another teachable moment - that it is not “our” page on Amazon, and we don’t control what’s posted there, and what Amazon chooses to display is not always accurate. However, the non-returnable bit is neither an Amazon rule, nor our company’s rule, it is the law which stipulates that pesticide products (the definition of ‘pesticide’ is broader than the average person’s interpretation and does cover the item you purchased) prohibits returns of this item. We are required by law not to allow it’s return.

You can make him feel like an ■■■, and teach him something in the process. Win, win, win. :smile:

4 Likes

UPS picks up between 10:00a and noon and again at 4:30p and 5:30p central, the customer is also in central time zone. Generally, we don’t fulfill orders the same day received after 4:00p. But I’ve never told anyone to not fulfill an order if they are just standing around and an order comes in prior to UPS stopping. I don’t keep a record of the exact time an order comes in or we fulfill it. Previously, customers have always indicated that faster is better.

Whatever, after a generous T-bone and a single malt Scotch I instructed my people to refund the order. I couldn’t bring myself to actually do it myself. Yes, I realize a good boss never has an employee do something they aren’t willing to do themselves…

4 Likes

I was trying to clarify if the customer did actually request to cancel before the order was shipped, or not. It sounds like that’s the whole reason he’s ticked off.

I would not refund mainly due to regulations. But I would double check the detail page to make sure it displays the information correctly.

For fun, my Monday-Morning Quarterback reply would have been

Hello Michael,

I double checked our emails and Amazon Messages and did not see a communication prior to today and I do my best to normally reply within 24 hours or less to all my messages.

I can see we shipped your order on 4/4 for delivery today with UPS 1Z#. Unfortunately, due to a 1996 government law we are not able to accept a return on this type of product due to regulations.

I hope you are pleased with my support and the quality of our product.

If you are not satisfied with my replies, please let me know and I can forward our conversation to my manager for review.

My apologies for any technical or government inconveniences.

Sincerely,

Cindy L.
Customer Service Department

(((( I do not mention to refuse a delivery on purpose because I would rather the buyer not know they can do that because it creates an Adjustment for the Seller Paid Return Shipping Fee from UPS not USPS though ))))

Depending on how they reply, ….
I will assume, “No one is at the delivery address during the day. Please make sure with shipper that a signature is required. That way it won’t be delivered. FYI: Your page on Amazon does not say that returns are not accepted. I asked to cancel an order within a few hours. Unless you ship at night, the item would not have gone out before my request to cancel.”

Hi Michael,

I can help, although I cannot request a signature on a package in transit, Amazon does insure each package for a proper delivery to protect both you and us. If no one is at home and you do not receive the package, Amazon does have an A-to-z claim insurance option to protect you. I can assist if you happen to need help with that program later.

I will pass your information along to a tech team about maybe an Amazon glitch with the display of the return regulations. It seems correct on my screen but maybe they can submit a support ticket to double check different devices or screens.

We ship orders by the ship date or sooner and I did double check and Amazon did not send any cancellation messages.

Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Sincerely,
Cindy L.
Customer Service Department

5 Likes

Last night I found a 1 feedback whete the customer complained that I failed to NOT ship a package after she cancelled. I did cancel, but forgot to also do it in Shipstation, so it still shipped. So she got a free item and still bitched and left me one star.

2 Likes

I recently read the following…

9 Likes

“Toxically positive”-at least that’s memorable.

A seller left me this on the NFFE(see below) where I was advising a year or so-old seller w/ a couple hundred feedback not to call buyers “scammers” in the FB response. Not Professional, I said. Frankly, I thought(but didn’t the say) the seller should enroll in ANGER MANAGEMENT

Gave them relaxation techniques, including adult beverage and eating chocolate; to cool down before typing a response. Guess that’s what the responder took offense to:

"100% great advice; no matter how warranted, no buyer wants to see you attacking another buyer. By leaving these type of comments you are making a bad situation worse.

Really? Attacking? We have really become thin-skinned!

4 Likes

Hey buddy, what are you trying to say?!

I jest. But yes, we have in general become almost transparent. The old adage of sticks and stones has apparently been lost on our youths. I have often struggled with keeping my composure and turned toxic when faced with criticism(I am sure we all have to some degree). But a big turning point for me was having my son. It was not a quality that I have any desire to pass on. Stupid people will stay stupid things. Its physics, it’s inevitable. We only have control over how we react, or don’t react, to those situations.

2 Likes

Like one of the old docs here who is constantly saying “bless your heart”.
… thinking she has no idea what that really means . She’s baffled when people shy away from her , and thinks everyone "takes things too personally.
I would hope far more than 10% are taking that personally :wink:

1 Like

I believe I saw that and it was in response to Lord Commander who then changed their name to Defaul when they realized people could see their storefront (changing the forum name doesn’t fix that). They take everything as a personal attack against them.

1 Like

This is certainly NOT the environment where you can be thin skinned and survive.

2 Likes

Sometimes I just want to tell people to take a deep breath. And I always make sure I do when I feel the urge to tell some one else.

2 Likes

You mean this was directed to you in the forum?

If I understood that part right, I don’t think the words “no buyer wants to see you attacking” refers to the seller who was calling buyers scammers in their feedback response. Not directed at you (TexasExileBooks)

3 Likes