Do other online sales channels (Walmart, Shopify, eBay, Etsy, etc) see the surge in sales in January like Amazon?

Hi,
I notice that every year, the sales of January month is almost as high as December month in Amazon.com, then it tapers down in February. The sales of these 2 months are higher than other months of the year except December month. My theory is that it’s because many people receive Amazon gift cards during Christmas. So, they use them to buy stuff in January and February. If my theory is correct, other online sales platform shouldn’t see the sales surge in January like Amazon. If you guys sell at Walmart, Shopify, eBay, Etsy, or any other channels, could you confirm or deny about the sales surge phenomenal in that platform? Thanks.

2 Likes

Seasonal sales increases (and decreases) depends largely on your product assortment and category.

January sales can also get a bump due to gift returns/exchanges/store credit leading to additional purchases.

2 Likes

January is always my best month on Etsy & Amazon. Not on Shopify - it’s the gift card effect for sure.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. My products are evergreen (sales year round without any peak and valley except in December when there are more traffic on Amazon and any online shopping platforms)

1 Like

Thanks for confirming this. I also believe it’s the gift card effect. Does Etsy offer gift cards?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting thing about Walmart. In any month (based on the last 9 we’ve been selling there, sales surge at the beginning of the month and slow down a lot from the 20th on.

This is seemingly related to that customer who depend on their Govt checks to live. Something I picked up on as the months went on and mentioned to our PPC manager. He noted that he’s had this call out from the CEO’s he has talked to.

For reference, Jan is always our best month. That’s more of a category thing though - “Resolution Season”, where people take a look at their health after the stress of the holidays.

3 Likes

A lot of people buy for others during November and December. January is a month when they consider buying for themselves again. The gift cards support that thought process. If the credit card bills are too large, the bigger sales bump may come in February.

2 Likes

Came back to add that I think it also depends greatly on what you sell. I sell art, which is very personal so people are unlikely to give it as a gift (unless it’s on a wishlist). If I recall correctly what you sell, it’s probably in the same category - something people buy for themselves, but unlikely to be a gift (lest the recipient take it the wrong way :wink: )

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve never heard of that before :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing

1 Like

We have always had a better January, as compared to December.

However, our products are not holiday related. Note to self, for the 100th time make holiday products…

2 Likes