Do you think FBA will offer FBM delivery services?

Just a thought here, FBA could offer Amazon Logistics as a shipping option to FBM sellers.

To make this palatable to FBM sellers, they could offer some of the same protections FBA sellers have against late deliveries/negative feedback as long as the item is picked up on time.

So … Logistics would now have to also pick up items? Hummmmmm.

1 Like

They trialed picking up FBA inbound shipments. Dropping off and picking up on the same route has some efficiencies there.

1 Like

I think the unreliability of sellers to get their stuff ready will hamper this program. If someone is that good, chances are Amazon would simply make them a vendor or their brand would.

3 Likes

To be clear, the items are still FBM, just with Amazon Logistics acting as a carrier just like how USPS/UPS would.

I think they have it now? I just finished my shipping labels for today so I can’t check but I think there’s some Amazon Logistics thing they asked me to apply for that involved Amazon picking up my FBM and delivering them. It was showing up as one of my FBM shipping options (with USPS, UPS, etc.) and kicked me out to an application.

I could be talking out of my behind…now I need to find it!

2 Likes

Found it - Amazon Shipping Ground

2 Likes

This isn’t exactly the same thing that our friend @GGX is ruminating on - this program picks up from the 3P Seller’s location, rather than from an FC.

1 Like

But if they pick up from FC, it would be FBA.

1 Like

Yes, but that is not within the parameters of this program, which is why I pointed out the difference between this @ what GGX is writing about.

I think I’m fully not awake. I thought GGX is looking for a service that picks up from the 3P seller’s location and delivers it to the buyer, which is what Amazon Shipping Ground does?

2 Likes

After re-reading this thread, I think I’m the one who is asleep - I missed GGX’s qualifying post here:

Mea culpa

:confounded:

2 Likes

This sounds like they’re acting just like how USPS would, they pick it up, pass it thru their network, “lose” a high % of packages, and then deliver it.

Have you actually tried this service? How does it price compared to your other shipping options? I’m assuming Amazon takes responsibility for delivery problems assuming you tender it to them on time?

2 Likes

Theoretically, @ least - but there’s a reason why there are so many reports in the NSFE over the last few months bemoaning an utter lack of performance, such as the latest I’ve seen here:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/seller-forums/discussions/t/184b9916-6c68-444b-949b-eca715eafdc7?postId=6d13722b-a267-41e3-b0c7-e88c1c849a16

1 Like

Or MCF. Same difference

1 Like

That complaint sounds 100% seller faulted. 10 days without shipping the item is excessive and it sounds like they’re violating policy by buying a label to mark it as shipped when they don’t have the item in stock. They should be suspended IMO for selling items that they don’t have in stock, so their complaint has no merit.

Actually, what the folks in that discussion are complaining about is the same thing that’s been discussed, in that & other discussion venues, for the last few months:

That SWA is taking possession of the package(s), and then retroactively cancelling the order & refunding, w/ a claim from Amazon that this was done because its automated mechanisms did not return a “Shipment Confirmed” to a query - despite the fact that BSS was used to arrange the pickup in the first place.

I’ve yet to see any report of the goods being returned to the point of pickup.

The 10-day estimation of the ‘trigger’ date for the mechanism(s) responsible for this snafu is one that’s been observed by others as well, so I suspect that you may be reading more into the example HealthandOutdoors used of a backorder than was intended.

1 Like

I didn’t read the rest of the discussion, but the post that was copied here is a seller complaining that they shipped late because the item is backordered and Amazon cancelled the order because it was never tendered to them.

I wonder how the performance is if the package is tendered to SWA in a timely fashion. Probably still significantly worse than USPS/UPS.

There was one post recently on the NSFE of someone who used it for about a dozen orders. Every order was picked up at his house, scanned by the driver, then put in the truck.
His account is now under review for not loading tracking info on time…

Yeah, I think I’ll wait to try it; although so far, anytime I’ve seen it offered, it’s not the cheapest option anyway, so why bother?

3 Likes

Well there’s the dealbreaker.

I figured it’d be cheaper which might make it worth trying.

1 Like