Does Amazon limit sales?

I am a new-ish seller since July. Yesterday I had an amazing day 10X my normal day. I was expecting something good again today, but today its worse than a normal day ( about 50% of a normal day). At around noon I put on some agressive PPCs since I have a large ad credit I need to use up by next week. I turned the placement adjustment to 500% for fun, I have only 10 impressions. Its really odd, I dont know why sales just stopped and why my ads are not being seen.
Does Amazon limit sales if you are new and killing it in sales all of a sudden?

2 Likes

If you’re FBM I believe velocity reviews are a thing.

1 Like

They can yes. The intent is to make sure that sudden spikes in sales on listings that don’t have a strong sales history is not due to any seller shenanigans. I have never had one, but from what I have heard they are annoying, but not particularly painful. I am not sure what it takes to trigger a velocity review. I don’t think a single day of sales would be sufficient, and Amazon notifies sellers when they initiate such a review.

3 Likes

I am both. I have a handful FBM but majority is FBA. I am in the handmade section.

2 Likes

I don’t sell handmade, but I would guess that you just had an unusually lucky day yesterday, and that because of Prime Day, a lot of people who want your items bought them yesterday all at once. Many sellers who see large Prime Day bumps see sales drops in the days following.

2 Likes

Interesting, I was poking around earlier today and went to my health section to see if there was something there. There wasn’t , but I did get a pop up as I clicked the link to put in an emergency contact number. I also had a missed call from a 206# yesterday which is a Seattle number, but I also live in Seattle, so I am not sure if it was random or if it was Amazon. But I tried to call back a few times with no sucess.

1 Like

was the # 206 577 0760?

That’s the # seller support uses to call you, you can’t call it back.

1 Like

Correct, always on these events.

We are at 56% of yesterday at the moment.

@Canadianmag - If you can still organically search / find your listings in their normal position, it’s just one of those crappy days.

As you move along, selling on Amazon, you will see / experience a lot of things that are illogical / don’t make sense, including wild swings in sales day by day.

1 day does not make a trend (in either direction)

Good luck, we’ve all got nearly 7 hours left today. :wink:

ETA - Did you google that Phone # to see if it’s associated with Amazon?

2 Likes

it ended with 5457. A google seach didnt result in anything.

I can still search and see my items, I also tried in incognito mode and they would come up.
I just hoped I would see a good day again today, not as good as yesterday but certainlly better than normal. I havent had a sale for 6 hours which is very odd.
Nothing came up with a google search with that ph# number, I didnt think anything of it to miss a 206# but when I saw that pop up asking for my emergency number I thought that was weird.

2 Likes

It’s probably unrelated then. If Amazon account health support calls you about something urgent you’ll receive an email as well if you don’t pick up.

1 Like

Added Handmade tag and tagging @Handmade group

1 Like

I removed my prime day promotions and with 20 minutes I was getting sales again.

I think my account was stuck, the removal reset something :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright… That’s insane…

If what you are saying isn’t a coincidence than Amazon is more broken than I thought…

With that said, there were posts on this forum yesterday showing Big Prime Day offers showing a higher sale price than regular price so figure that one out…

1 Like

I bought some guitar parts yesterday that I had purchased before. The “deal” was 16% off, resulting in exactly the same price they always are. “Deals” for sure :laughing:

-Ana

Wondering how they got away with 16%. Min PED’s are 20% off and Amazon checks…

The funny thing is you can run a limited time deal (7-day deal) directly before or after an event like PD as long as the price is at least the same as the PD price.

That’s actually against the policy but Amazon will let you do it. We observed our competitors doing this to ride out the promo period either before or after the event to boost rank.

We started doing it too.

Amazon’s algorithms / bots are so busted. The idea is to take advantage of every hole in the ship for your own benefit.

This is all a game. You just need to know how to play it.

2 Likes

Today it shows 15%. I’m sure it was 16% yesterday, but at any rate this is the price they always sell at and this is the manufacturer selling from their own account. Weird.

-Ana

I think you may be mistaken. This is not a Prime Day Deal. It’s some sort of other discount. If it were a Prime Day deal - it would have the other badge on it. Shown below…

1 Like

Yup, you’re right. In my head I was thinking this was a prime day promotion. I saw the other deal , but of course for this one I needed the 3+3 set for my Les Paul.

-Ana

2 Likes

Sellers play games, exploiting Amazon’s bots by flipping prices every 30 days to get that badge.

You get a big red badge and “lowest price in 30 days” callouts for free. Makes the listing stand out in search.

Goes back to my point upthread:

Legal cheating. You’re not a black hat but you’re a winner.

2 Likes