Does anyone enter cost info into SellerCentral?

Does anyone use this field and enter their cost info into SellerCentral? If so, do you not have concerns about providing that information to Amazon?

costfield

1 Like

I do have concerns, so I don’t.

4 Likes

Welcome to SAS!

Not an option input available for our items; however, if it was, we wouldn’t give up that information.

2 Likes

Hell no. You don’t want amazon determining your margins with some weird algorithm criteria - you also dont want them knowing your costs

5 Likes

I am a staunch proponent of maintaining all records in your own database and never relying upon Amazon or sites for any of the necessary information about inventory or orders.

8 Likes

Hi and welcome to SellersAskSellers, @snobfoods! I agree with all prior replies and never have done this. Amazon’s bots and automation universally suck, but my luck would be that THIS would work successfully to capture my (proprietary) data.

Like @bookwormapril said, maintain your own records. You can (and should!) set up a formula to calculate this automatically in Excel or Sheets, after pulling/entering the Amazon charges and then your own info. Update regularly.

5 Likes

Welcome to the SAS Forum! Happy to see you found us. If you don’t mind it would be interesting to know how you did.

As far as entering cost information, and providing it to Amazon, I would never, never, ever do it. I don’t need them knowing what my CoGS (Cost of Goods Sold) and margins are. They get more than enough information now.

This, knowing our margins and profits is very important to us. You may see me guide others here, I used to do it on the OSFE. Trying to help people understand, it is not about the sell price it is about the profits after all expenses.

Again, not giving that up to Amazon or another third party. The best I will do is indicate we have high margins, since we develop and manufacture items inhouse.

4 Likes

I’ve actually used SellerSnap for years. Not sure if anyone else here does this but we manage several hundred listings in several countries. It’s just too much to do by hand or via SS.

We would never think of doing such a thing but Amazon has other ways of finding out. When we ship, we are honest about the value of the pallets being shipped so they know anyway…

God forbid something got lost and we inflated that value, I’m sure there’s some way to get suspended for such a thing so your back is against the wall in this scenario…

2 Likes

Hey, in your free time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: definitely go share your experience with that service with fellow Sellers in our :lock: private (SAS members-only) category :lock: Reviews & Recommendations.

It sounds like something possibly useful to others, and given your years of use and scope, your perspective would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

Personally no, but seriously, it makes ZERO difference if you do.

I would be concerned if it was linked to your account, but it is not. It is a public estimator.

Anyone can enter the Asin and pop in any 'ol number

If you are in anyway concerned. Enter a few bogus costs both higher, and lower, and the correct one.

Whose to say what is the actual one.

1 Like

Will do.

1 Like

Never. My prices fluctuate. They don’t need to know.

2 Likes

Never have and never will…

2 Likes

Amazon has no business knowing my costs of business. No, I will never entered this info for Amazon to determine whether my products should be part of their Amazon Basic brand.

2 Likes