emoticon problem

This is new for me. Only emoticon available to comment on posts is the heart. Everything worked fine a few days ago. Firefox / Windows 11

4 Likes

What version of Firefox?
Current version is 122.0.1

Sometimes when Firefox has a update pending, the browser will be sluggish and have little glitches appear especially if there is a pending Window 11 update at the same time.

We are on Window 11 and Firefox and are not having the issue you describe.

1 Like

ok, so, yeah this has hit me also

Got a new surface, and I only have heart. My desktop and phone (all FF) are fine.

I know @oneida_books and I were trying to find the root of this issue, but now I am convinced it has something to do with the browser user profile.

Because I an now a victim of this I will be able to get to the root much easier then I can if I didn’t have the issue in my face!

EDIT TO ADD:
I see there is a reactions plugin update sitting in the que, Lets circle back to this after the Wednesday Updates when it installs

6 Likes

Windows 11, Firefox 122.0.1 (64-bit) here

99% sure this is a FF user profile issue.

4 Likes

Just a data point, my workstation with chrome 121.0.6167.185 (Official Build) (64-bit) gives me all the emotion I need. (Except the hug :hugs:)

My phone with Chrome can only do :heart:'s

2 Likes

This leads me towards the plugin rather then the browser - - - grumble

2 Likes

FF 122.0.1
I have had all emoticons since they were rolled out. No issues here… yet.

1 Like

Welcome to my world … LOL

5 Likes

… as he mocks me.

4 Likes

LOL, I know! I’m on my desktop right now

2 Likes

“default” profile also doesn’t have it, Trying an uninstall

1 Like

fresh install no happy

EDIT, Fresh install AFTER syncing cloud profile still no happy

1 Like

I tried to locate my Firefox version but have no idea where that info is (sorry). I assume it’s the latest as I always update. Using a laptop.

Thanks everyone who’s helping.

1 Like

3 line button in the upper right, Help → About Firefox

4 Likes

ok, for giggles, I copied the entire profile folder from my desktop to my new surface. No Change

1 Like

thanks.
122.0.1 (64 bit)

1 Like

Alright, no variable there, we are all up to date

1 Like

I just tried all the emoticons on Pepper’s post above, worked OK>

But, Firefox DID update itself this AM to 123.0 (64-bit), what I have found is that it is the firefox updater ITSELF that makes things wonky for someone who leaves a browser open for days at a time, rather than exiting, and then starting a fresh copy up each day.

So, like everything in electronics “Turn it off, and turn it back on again”.

We used to call this “rebooting”, as the power supplies on 1970s computers were at the bottom of the racks, so one would open the rack door (a fridge-sized metal thing), and there would be a large circuit breaker on the bottom chassis, as the power supplies were heavy, and would be at the bottom.
One would then use the toe of one’s boot to push the ganged circuit breakers into the up “on” position.

Ya see, everyone wore hiking boots in the computer rooms back then, as the A/C made it very chilly on the raised floors, and we were all going up from the RT-128 loop road around Boston to the White Mountains to hike and rock climb anyway, so Sorels, Dexters, Doc Martens were de rigueur.)

So, “reboot” a system involved taking the toe of one’s boot and LITERALLY turning it all off, and turning it on again.

3 Likes

Precisely so.

Among the most-profitable divisions of our Business Enterprise is the one focused upon Patch Management for large-scale clients who do not support an in-house solution of their own.

1 Like

123.0 (64-bit) just installed and it fixed it for me.

5 Likes