For New Yorkers past and present

New Yorkers - do these signs look familiar? They are currently housed at a local pizza restaurant here.

3 Likes

VERY familiar…

:wink:

3 Likes

Sorry, not familiar. I stopped riding the subways a few years ago, but still ride the buses, masked and gloved.

3 Likes

I think the restaurant owner picked them up at an auction years ago. He was finally able to put them to use in the restaurant.

Here’s another artifact that he had.

2 Likes

Oddly a quick google looks like you can get your own

New York Subway Willets Point / Shea Stadium Sign

Now that it’s Citi Field - I can see why these may be at auction

Came across this on TEMU

It should say “Give a Class-E Felony to Family & Friends” :rofl:

I loved the old Checker cabs! They seated 3 in back seat, two on the pop-up stools, mid-ships, and one or two more in front seat if the cabbie allowed. Their highest and best use was transporting luggage, packages, or furniture.

I bought a late 19th C. bamboo table from a woman selling an apartment on East 79th Street and brought it home to my former apartment on East 53rd Street in a Checker cab. Moved it to the current apartment long ago and still have it.

Checker cabs were so useful. I miss them still.

2 Likes

@selg I took a couple of other photos of the Checker cab.
checker1a

2 Likes

OMG, when did you take these photos? Checker cabs have been gone from Manhattan, where I live, for about 20 years, I think.

1 Like

I took the photos almost three years ago. The car had an “Antique” tag issued by the state on it but I blocked out the number. It is probably owned by a car collector.

4 Likes

Happy to see your photos. Thanks! I have not seen a Checker cab in years and still miss them. They were so useful.

I am now old enough to insist on car taxis that I can get into easily, and must now reject all taxis that require climbing.

4 Likes