Fraud return - report as buyer abuse?

Buyer purchased 4 sets of an item and returned as no longer needed, but sent back a much cheaper version of the product. RFS so they’ve been refunded.

I do intend to file a safety claim and am going to ask for credit of the entire refund. I know that’s not what they do but I am going to ask for it anyway.

Can I also file a buyer abuse claim, should I wait until the Safety Claim is decided? I would report her to USPS also but it was shipped and returned UPS. She also returned in a much bigger box, because the junk she sent back was bigger in size so I’ll probably take a hit on the return label too.

$144 lost on this order. Is there a minimum for ic3 reporting?

Not sure about the amount for ic3 but this buyer should absolutely be reported to Amazon at the very least.

1 Like

She will be, I just don’t want to lose the SafeT claim. They really should give me back the whole amount she paid. I will still be out the 15.60 shipping cost (free shipping offer).

1 Like

I thought on Amazon you can do a restocking fee if the item returned is materially different than what you sent? I haven’t had that issue lately on Amazon (but yes on Walmart)…

You gotta submit pictures with the claim if I remember correctly.

Yes, I do have to submit pictures. I can’t charge the restocking fee because they were already refunded, only ask for it in SafeT Claim. In this case I don’t think it should be limited to 50%, it is clearly fraud but they probably will only give me half.

1 Like

On the Merchant side, now you can only do this if the item is not RFS (Refund at First Scan), which is where Amazon automatically refunds in full as soon as the return shipping tracking number is first scanned by the carrier.

No chance for sellers to inspect the returned item for damage or switcheroos or even just an empty package. :angry:

Unfortunately, @primetime’s item was RFS.

2 Likes

I was just clicking through my returns…and dang.

I can see what you’re saying, so once again Amazon makes no sense.

If they haven’t sent it back yet because there is no scan that triggers the automatic refund – how am I supposed to claim “Materially different” and get 100%?

I agree – that disappears on my completed orders. And on one from a while back where there was no return that actually came back, it’s still there…because there was no initial scan. So no refund at all…because the customer never sent it.

Buyer purchased 4 sets of an item and returned as no longer needed
She also returned in a much bigger box, because the junk she sent back was bigger in size so I’ll probably take a hit on the return label too.

If she chose ‘no longer needed’, then the cost of the return label (and any upcharge from UPS for the extra large boxes, hopefully) should be automatically deducted from her refund.

If would be nice karma for her to try and scam you, then get hit with an extra $69 (or whatever the oversize box fee is) UPS charge. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I do intend to file a safety claim and am going to ask for credit of the entire refund. I know that’s not what they do but I am going to ask for it anyway.

Don’t know if this will make any difference, but it can’t hurt. I’d reach out to the buyer first. Send them a message - it looks like you accidentally sent back the wrong thing and unfortunately, to be entitled to a refund, you must return the item you actually purchased. Additionally, I now have your (whatever she sent back) in my possession and would need you to make arrangements to have that returned to you.

Although you send this message to the buyer, you write it to deliver a message to Amazon. The hope is that, if you do this before filing the claim, the Safe-T people will read the buyer/seller communication as part of their decision-making process.

I’d probably send an initial message, wait 48 hours for a response (assume you won’t get one), then send a follow-up, wait another couple days and then file the Safe-T claim.

I try to tell buyers, without actually telling them, that Amazon monitors their actions and records attempted fraud. My follow-up would go something like this -

Amazon requires sellers to report all discrepancies related to returns to their internal department (ha ha) and the deadline is approaching, so I hope to hear back from you soon.

Are you currently returning the item you purchased from me (state the item)? If so, please provide tracking details.
How would you like to arrange to get your (item they returned instead) back? You can send me a pre-paid shipping label and I’ll be happy to send it back to you right away.

2 Likes

this is how it should work but I don’t trust that it will, I will watch it.

I did send a message that she did not return what I sent her so she should not be surprised when Amazon re-charges her. It was the same type of item, just a big difference in quality, obviously fraud. I did not give her a chance to make it right because having to literally pay for it should be a bigger deterrent for pulling that sh*t again. Maybe not one time but if other sellers fight back too she should get the message. Amazon might be more inclined to suspend a buyer’s account if they have to deal with the claims also.
I am optimistic about the claim, I have not had a problem winning them yet. I did ask for a 100% reimbursement which I know is not policy but really what it should be in cases like this.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s what happens though, and my suggestion was less about giving her the chance to make things right, as it was about documenting for Amazon what she was trying to pull.

What I think will happen is Amazon will pay the refund out of their pockets… not re-charge the buyer. So she gets away with it either way without ever knowing there might be repercussions. That’s why I suggested the emails. Make her aware (as a possible deterrent) and make Amazon aware of her fraud. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

That sends a message advice is spot on.

Walmart actually requires it before submitting a case.

Last time, I tried 3 times to send a message and it kept failing. so I finally asked “how many times do I have to try when it’s YOUR system that keeps failing?” Oh yea, process claim.

Iris

UPDATE: I heard back from the buyer today (filed the claim yesterday). She said it was a mistake and offered to pay all the shipping to exchange them. My assumption of fraud was faulty.

I received the 85% Safe-T reimbursement before I heard from the buyer. Shipping hers back would cost $13.74 and $36.90 for her to return mine. That’s an expensive mistake.

I thanked her for her honesty, explained the cost of her exchange offer, and basically let her know I am OK because I filed a claim and it covered my costs, I only lost profit.

The additional cost to her and the un-likelyhood of undoing the claim don’t seem worth it to me.
If she was re-charged due to the claim then she has the better items at reduced cost to her.

I advised her to call Amazon to have it noted on her account that it was a mistake. If they tell her to return them we’ll go that route but I doubt they will.

I am so used to not hearing back from buyers, and hearing buyer return abuse stories, that in hindsight I reacted too quickly and did not wait long enough for her reply. Lesson learned.

Fortunately I did not file a buyer abuse claim.

3 Likes

Now she wants to venmo me money to ship hers back. I told her no but she can purchase a label at usps.com and send it to me as a message attachment.

I do not want to jeopardize my account here, should I try to reverse the safe-t claim and have her send mine back at a cost of $37 to her? That does not seem very customer-centric.

Something’s fishy here. I’d probably do what the kids today call ghosting…

1 Like

I gave her instructions to send me a prepaid label. That will be my last reply - unless she does send one. She was pretty quick to respond yesterday except to that last message. I’m not expecting to hear from her.
Someone tried to pull the Venmo offer on Facebook Marketplace recently - I won’t accept any Venmo payment offers anywhere for anything unless it’s verified family!

1 Like