[Gizmodo] Amazon Ditches 'Just Walk Out' Checkouts at Its Grocery Stores

From time to time I have forgotten to scan 40lbs boxes of kitty litter at the bottom of my cart. I’m so honest that the next time I go to that store, I charge myself for the unit I accidentally stole.

But your point is valid on that loss because most honest people aren’t as honest as I.

It’s all a P&L item for the stores. How much are they saving by not having a clerk vs. their overall losses.

Grocery is almost all unionized. Higher salaries / big expensive bennies.

3 Likes

Split Testing - it was a thing long before Home Depot was the merest glimmer in Blank’s & Marcus’ eyes.

3 Likes

As a former merchandising Veep for a retail chain, I totally get the testing but those “backwards” Home Depots are actually built differently, not just merchandised / planogrammed differently.

I’m with you, it’s possible, but still not sure that it’s a test or some other reason related to the site those stores are built on.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen of San Francisco, most stores there were experiencing “Just Walk Out” shopping; getting paid by those doing it, however, is the tricky part.

Back when I was in IT, the dream of checkout-less shopping had been the RFID tag, not a loss-prevention team sitting in India. Perhaps that will be embedded in their new smart shopping carts (I always wondered how RFID would differentiate between multiple customers walking out at the same time). Perhaps omitted from the story is that some “customers” were using RFID blockers, thus the need for the team in India to verify purchases. RFID-enabled shopping carts would, I think, make it much harder to utilize a blocker.

2 Likes

The Saturday Night Live parody was a very accurate explanation of why certain members of the community would be less receptive to the concept.

And it is so very true - a friend of mine works on wall st and is black, and has been stopped for “Driving While Black” so many times, I’ve been in his car with him 3 times when this has happened. But a black man driving a high-end car has to accept this as “par for the course”, despite the good chance of being tazed or shot by a cop on too much steriods, the drug abuse problem that no one talks about, but is rampant among cops.

3 Likes

Wow @packetfire there’s a lot to unpack in your whole post–though I am hoping that NO ONE follows up with any off topic content–but I definitely agree with the SNL sketch! GRAB AND GO IS A TRAP :rofl:

Not quite the same, but I can confirm that growing up poor, white, and on the wrong side of the tracks will also get you extra scrutiny in a few stores in my Alabama hometown. I was early on trained in the art of exiting a store with your paid purchases in the above manner of Keenan Thompson: arms up, bags open, walking slowly, with your receipt clearly visible in case it’s requested, and praying. :raised_hands:

I, too, don’t trust “not paying”. I need receipts! I am some people.

4 Likes

Forgot about that one. Brilliant!

LOL

2 Likes

Same here.

We run Azure, internally, and administer patching & other SaaS concerns, for many a client, in that & other iterations which are cloud-based - but there’s a reason why I insist on maintaining a paper trail, even if additional costs to do so come into play.

4 Likes

As we have hypothesized before, we are obviously blood relatives.

5 Likes

Show us the theorem and it shall be proven.

Generally Speaking

Mathematically it is statically not probable that two humans are capable of thinking, talking and writing in Dogtamernese.

5 Likes

At which point security would actually show up and have you spread eagled on the wall… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes