How have you set your Amazon Shipping Transit Times?

Played with shorter transit times on my Amazon shipping settings last week, and sales jumped considerably. I found a couple instances, though, where I had larger packages (2 cu feet, appx) heading to Maine or ND from Michigan, promised in 3 days and UPS ground was going to take 4 days, so I ended up having to 3-day air one of them, and lost ~~$25 on the order as a result.

The pre-configured bands on Amazon aren’t terrible, but I wish I had a little more control. IE, West Coast choices are either 2-4 or 5-8 days…would be nice to have something in the middle like 4-6 as an option, for example.

How have you guys done it? Am using a mix of Buy Shipping and my own UPS account, which is significantly cheaper than Amazon Buy on larger size packages. Small stuff normally goes USPS Gound Advantage.

Currently at 99.7% on time delivery…

1 Like

We picked the faster shipping times with 2 day handling set at the SKU level. Adding a day or 2 in handling is the only way to get 3-5 or 4-6.

1 Like

Set up another shipping template for these type of items so you don’t loose money. That way you can assign the larger items to this template and avoid taking a loss.

3 Likes

Excellent info, this will be my plan. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hey I had another thought. Set our order capacity at a low-ish # like 25, so that any additional orders will get a 1 day padding on the transit time LOL.

1 Like

So, while I experiment with transit times, what happens if OTD slips slightly below 97%? I realize it’s a 30-day rolling average, I just wondered how bad the penalty is (aside from angry customers)…? I see that Amazon might not allow us to use the faster handling times…??? I have a couple states (AL and GA) that are in my mid-distance band but are 4 day transit via UPS or Ground Advantage from Michigan, and therefore dont fall under the 2-3 day band I’d like to assign them.

Also…should I explore Shipping Setting Automation?

Additionally, I’ve got several instances where my USPS GA shows 4 day delivery, but Amazon Buy Shipping won’t offer it (because they show an extra day) and I’m not sure whether to roll the dice on it…

I would stay away from it.
Far away.

3 Likes

NO :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

If you are shipping USPS Ground Advantage, we would make sure your total transit time is 4 to 8 days. Most of what we see is Zone 5, Zone 6 and Zone 7 and USPS has been taking at least 4 days and up to 8 days to deliver. We are rural and pretty much in the center of the US so both coasts are equal distance from us. This make us Zone 5 and Zone 6 on the bulk of what we ship. We always have Ground Advantage available through Amazon Buy Shipping.

And FYI, Priority Mail is no longer a day or two sooner than Ground Advantage. Nine times out of ten … we are seeing the same amount of time to deliver Priority Mail as it takes for Ground Advantage. We are thinking about not even offering Priority Mail as expedited because it isn’t getting there any sooner.

2 Likes

You would be giving up on INR protections. The alternative is to use Priority shipping or UPS, which costs a bit more. This is really up to you.

You can increase the transit time on your template, but that makes the delivery date longer for every order so probably isn’t worth it.

2 Likes