How to get back at a thieving customer?

2 Likes

Some of this seems fundamentally wrong, but is there any truth to be found here?

Yes, there is - SELLC knows whereof he speaks.

The specific ‘prohibition’ of the ASBSA for treading that path wasn’t worth the paper it was was written upon, and Amazon knows it.

The core question is did the customer screw you or did Amazon by not doing their job.

They lost the A to Z, that is a problem between the seller and Amazon not between the seller and the customer and the seller agreed to not to pursue customers when this happens, meaning a simple call from the customer to Amazon and you get the suspension notification.
Also any attorney/judge etc will simply ask “why did you refund the money” and then the show really begins as to who has responsibility.

1 Like

If the other party no-shows, then of course you will win since it’s your side of the story vs nothing.

If an Amazon seller filed a claim against me, I would file a counterclaim for malicious prosecution as the issue was already resolved by the Amazon platform according to the terms and conditions agreed upon by both buyers and sellers, and as such, they have no basis for filing another claim. I would also have my attorney contact Amazon to get their seller account suspended. Doing this would not be worth it monetarily, but I would do it out of principle.

Most people will be the former case, where they don’t show up, but if you try to pick a fight with someone who knows what they’re doing you could be in for a world of hurt. Even if someone doesn’t know what they’re doing but knows enough to not ignore a court ORDER telling them to appear, all they need to say is they followed the terms and conditions of the website they purchased the item from, and the case will get tossed. Unless the seller has some kind of actual evidence a fraud has occurred it’s basically their word against the defendant’s and that’s not good enough.

While the majority of these granted claims sellers are unhappy about are likely scams, that doesn’t apply to ALL cases. Just because the seller is 100% sure they did right doesn’t mean someone else didn’t do something wrong between the seller and customer.

1 Like

This statement can only be confidently made in the absence of evidence of the numbers of sellers suspended for trying this action. Every reader here knows they would relish the day a seller did this to them with an A to Z.

I think a phone call to Amazon with the filing information would be far cheaper and faster.

I think Amazon suspension emails are faster than court dates. Also hard to pay for gas to court if Amazon is holding your funds.

1 Like

If you are ILFS inc. all you have to do is assert it happened and apparently that is good enough for a court LOL. So many conversations about this in the OSFE.

@Scott thanks for posting this.

For those not interested in clicking to the NSFE, here’s the OP:

Click for OP

While I respect SELLC and generally trust their Amazon advice, I don’t agree in this case.

My personal next step would be to send a letter to Amazon’s legal department with the basic facts and supporting documentation.

The Buyer deceived Amazon. Amazon refunded in error, without investigation, and deducted the refund from the Seller.

Agreed 100%. We all abdicated this type of decision to Amazon to make on our behalf. A competent customer/judge/lawyer would know this. I know Amazon does not play as I have a few of these in my Inbox over the years for a co-worker who is quick with a keyboard…

Stuff like this is why we have a two person check before we reply to cases like this.

Basically that guy is filing baseless lawsuits against people and winning because they no-showed and didn’t defend themselves.

Even if a buyer’s outright a fraud technically the buyer owes Amazon and Amazon owes the seller. That distinction matters.

This requires a level of thinking that I think a lot of sellers are simply incapable of having. Many operate on “Me mad! You bad!” level of IQ.

Getting a default judgement is easy, Collecting on it is not so easy. Especially if the buyer is not in your state,

3 Likes

I’ll go further - unless the amount at issue is over $50K, it is impossible to sue the con artist (in his home state, most likely), and find his assets, and attach them, and “enforce the judgment” without losing money on the deal.

1 Like

This is also true, filing a lawsuit and enforcing the judgment is a fairly expensive and time consuming process.

I had a dispute over a business lease over a small amount (they basically wanted an additional 30 days rent after giving notice of termination). I refused to pay and they sent it to collections. I told them straight up if you want the money go file a lawsuit and I’ll see you court, and that there’s no chance of you getting a cent outside of court. Been a couple years and haven’t heard anything about it again. What’s amazing about this is they had a 1 month security deposit, which they returned when I terminated.

Wayyyy too much work IMHO.

Glitter is the best revenge.