I got to see a Guttenburg Bible today.

As a lover of history and books, it was a pretty neat treat.
It was one of the complete paper volumes. I was impressed at how clean and clear the print was. I assumed that since it was the first printed book, and it was centuries ago, the font would be less defined, less pristine, but it looked almost like it could have been printed yesterday.

11 Likes

I think he was better in movies than in writing.

Steve-Guttenberg-in-Police-Academy

1 Like

That is very cool! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

2 Likes

Was the current owner thinking about listing it for sale on Amazon? Wonder how he plans to grade its condition?

1 Like

No ISBN, probably have to list it as “collectable.”

1 Like

Might be a better fit for eBay, then. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously, I’m very jealous…but we got to visit Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary yesterday, so not too shabby. Home of James Earl Ray’s (second prison) escape, maybe some paranormal activity, and the Barkley Marathons (impossible ultramarathon).

1 Like

Years ago, I attended a community fundraiser in the style of Antiques Roadshow.

For an admission fee of something like five dollars, a person could have up to three items “appraised” by antiques dealers.

The woman in front of me in the line was holding a book. I could tell it was a former library book, rebound in buckram. Title on the spine read, " Best loved plays of Shakespeare."

As casually as I could, I asked, “Oh, what treasure have you brought to be appraised?”

The woman stiffened and clutched the book tightly to her chest. Then she leaned over and whispered conspiratorially, “This is a first edition of William Shakespeare. I read online that it might be worth millions.”

I was speechless, so I just muttered something like, “Well good luck. Ask the appraiser to put his valuation in writing, because you might need to talk to your insurance agent about some sort of coverage for your book”

She gave me a puzzled look, then turned away to whisper to her companion.

I lost sight of her in the crowd.

The local community newspaper did a feature article with lots of photographs, describing the event (you’ll know what I mean if you have ever lived in a small town, with no real news). Lots of real finds were described with enthusiastic quotes from the proud owners of various knick-knacks. No mention of anyone with any newsworthy books at the event.

4 Likes

I don’t do books, so I do not know all the rules.

However, I am thinking :thinking: what happens when Amazon asks for invoices and proof they have ordered from the distributor at least 10 of them over the last year? And or permission from the publisher to be a seller of the book.

Laugh if you wish, but I am dealing right now with a home and office product. We are up to 50 or more of them with violation warnings asking for a CPC certificate.

They are 12 inch by 16 inch .020 thick magnets, they can only be rolled in a 3 inch tube. For use by adults. Guess they are concerned about kiddies swallowing them.

1 Like

Nail, meet hammer.

CPSC’s revision of the Magnet Rules, promulgated in the fall of 2022 (16 CFR Part 1262), has demonstrably prompted the deployment of (apparently) at least two new Compliance-policing Amabots, which have been combing Offer-Listings upon Amazon Global Catalog ASINs in a wide variety of the Browse Nodes targeted by magnet sellers ever since that time.

As is par for the course, Amazon is comparatively unmiffed that neither the Scope or the Definitions of the new magnet rules were finely parsed to prevent false positives in the programming of said automated mechanisms - hence the reason for the complaints from 3P Sellers who do not target those same Browse Nodes.

This is, of course, not a particularly-new phenomenon - who amongst those who lived (and sold) through it will ever forget the UL Lighting Facts debacle of 2016’s Holiday Season, where everything from potholders to BMVD to BIS was prey to a PCRP restriction simply by virtue of including an image of Christmas tree lights? - nor will it likely be the last: because as difficult to discern as it might often be, mayhaps especially from the first-blush POV, there really does exist a method behind the apparent madness.

To be fair, the OGC (“Office of The General Counsel”), considering the bullseye for litigation which Amazon sports in any of its endeavors, and the mishmash of Bad Practices with which 3P Sellers & 1P Vendors have polluted its Catalog over the years, has little choice but to demand that the “Shoot First, Ask Questions Later”/“swatting flies with a sledgehammer” approach that we’ve all learned to despise be implemented in most any circumstance where there’s a credible risk to the bottom line from yet another regulatory agency fine

Now, the casual observer might well point out the dichotomy in that statement - after all, if a sales transaction that could be completed is not, well then that, too IS a hit to Amazon’s bottom line - but it knows that those who CAN surmount whatever hurdle it places in our path will, soon enough, be right back to making coins for its coffers.

2 Likes

Yet Amazon let’s a seller from the Asian Basin sell a dragonfly with a “Sticker” where the sticker is a pencil eraser size magnet. And by the way that “sticker” comes off very easy.

We just got some rubbery footprint things with bright colored products. They have trade dress with bright colors and “Toys” twice in lifesaver colored lettering.

“asdf jkl Toys for Adults” is the title, I bet these went through CPC testing and the factory issued a CPC certificate for them.

Sure they did…

Us we just pull the product and use another channel. But enough hijacking for the night, back to the Bible!

1 Like