Incomplete 1099K from Amazon

Due to complications in my personal life, I am doing 2022 taxes now. :frowning:

I just downloaded the 2022 1099K from Amazon’s tax documents, and the last three months are each zero. ( Yes, 2022 was slower than 2021, but I did not have zero sales for an entire quarter. )

Has anyone else had this problem? Or is it just me?

Or are they mistakenly putting the 2023 information in the 2022 document? It is clearly labeled 2022.

No, but I have heard of this happening when a seller’s business entity was changed mid-year. I don’t know what the solution is though.

@rms I am sorry for whatever you’re going through, and even sorrier that I don’t have an answer for you. Hoping things straighten out very soon.

2 Likes

That’s the only time I have heard of this happening, did you change from a SS to a company? A friend of mine had done that and received 2 1099ks.

3 Likes

If you had this type of change and the last 3 months didn’t have enough sells to trigger the 1099K for the new company, the old company will receive the 1099K for the months that were under it and the new company will receive nothing.

We moved the company under the wife when I was going through some serious health issues. Volume dropped to next to nothing during this period and so the wife’s portion didn’t generate a 1099K. The months under myself still had the 1099K.

We used my 1099K and added in the amounts under the wife from the monthly summary reports. The next year we moved every thing back under myself (as the wife was then diagnosed with cancer) and the 1099K covered the entire year again (note: this was prior to the new verification process - not sure we would take that risk now).

1 Like

This happened to me a few years ago when I changed the legal structure of my company. I received a 1099 for one entity the first 6 months of the year (the last 6 months showing no sales) and for the other entity the last 6 months of the year (with the first 6 months showing no sales).

@rms did you change your business structure last year? If so, then

would be an accurate assessment.

3 Likes

Thanks for all of the suggestions. As a general answer to all of them: no, I didn’t change anything.

1 Like

…but Amazon thinks that I did.

I received email from Amazon, which sai:

If you have provided Amazon with updated tax information during the calendar year, you will receive a separate 1099-K form for the year that met the reporting thresholds for the calendar year.

When you update your information for tax purposes, it will not update previous tax information provided.

Amazon is only required to issue a 1099- K Form if you meet the following requirements.

-More than $20,000 in unadjusted gross sales, and
-More than 200 transactions.

Note: Amazon will not issue an updated Form 1099-K.

Just use the 1099K for the months that are represented and pull monthly summary reports for the months that are not included in the 1099K.

The simple answer here is to just file your tax returns with what’s supposed to be the correct numbers, then IF the IRS questions you sort it out with them at that time.

2 Likes