INSANE (OVER $1650) customer return shipping price

• [LINK TO NSFE TOPIC](paste link here)

• ** INSANE (OVER $1650) customer return shipping price:**

• **i recently sold a bicycle on amazon, FBM. It was a $250 bicycle. I shipped the bike to the customer for $50. the bike was delivered, no issues. a month later, the customer asked to return it and amazon auto authorized the return. no big deal (or so i thought). the customer returned the bike back in a GIANT INSANE OVERSIZED box, no original packaging, it was broken and in pieces in a HUGE box and amazon charged me $1650.56 for return shipping. amazon will not reimburse shipping or make an adjustment and they say it is my fault and my responsibility. the return is unreasonable and unacceptable. the bike shipped from point A to point B for $50. then it shipped back from point B to point A for $1650.56. THAT IS CORRECT, $1600 MORE to return it to me. ive been back and forth with amazon for over a month now and they will not help at all. there seller support is a JOKE. how can i have this resolved? i cant afford $1600 because amazon didnt catch an improper return. amazon should have flagged this and it should not have been able to ship it to me. this is insane and unreasonable. any advice???

1 Like

“My wife made me join a bridge club. I jump off next Tuesday.”
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

1 Like

Great response…not

You know the single up-vote had to come from another Mod. :roll_eyes:

I will say though, that at least she acknowledges this -

I realize this is not the answer you want to hear, and I understand why.

That’s probably as close as Amazon employees are allowed to get to saying - wow, we really f*cked up here.

3 Likes

We were almost hit with a $1500 fedex charge because they sent back a huge metal bumper in a large box (we do not sell those, they sent back a completly wrong HUGE item). Luckily, it was right before the actually started charging for these overcharges. I would be livid.

2 Likes

I’m curious… does anyone know what would have happened if the seller had refused the delivery? He certainly wouldn’t have been any worse off than he already is, right?

It might be worth his trouble to take the buyer to small-claims court. He might be out an whatever the cost is to file a claim, and may not win, but it still might be worth it just to cause the customer to have to defend himself.

It also might be worth a call to his local television station and to post to social media to call Amazon and the customer out for their ridiculous behavior.

4 Likes

Tempting to test out that theory on a small ticket return. I am sure the A-Z claim forces you to cover the item, but what about the shipping…

2 Likes

Refuse it, but you still would have been charged.

1 Like

As @Roxy first pointed out in the widely-famed 4Jun2021 “…OPTIONAL OPTIONAL OPTIONAL OPTIONAL OPTIONAL” reply, made in refutation of a certain gone-swimming member of the ASF’s mistaken impression in regards to the original “Issue a Partial Refund” snafu that stemmed from the launch of the RFS (“Refund at First Scam Refund at First Scan”) Initiative:

You’re on your own, pal.

To be fair, the Editorial Team has added more mentions of ‘optional’ functionality to the SHC’s Issue a partial refund (link, Help Hub Revison URL) page in the ensuing years, but even if the OP of the NSFE discussion you’ve linked really does have all their ducks in a row, the “Send It Back However You Want” Initiative has a marked possibility of placing them squarely behind the 8-Ball…

Tee Hee!

1 Like

Has anyone tried SAFE-T claiming the shipping on an oversized box like this? That would be my first reaction.

3 Likes

I cannot claim to have coined that often-apropos term; our well-missed friend @SELLC was the first I saw to use it, but it was pretty popular among others in the OSFE days, and that appears to have persisted in the NSFE…

1 Like

Honestly, I think Danika’s response is spot on. She gets how this situation is detrimentally in violation of the letter of Amazon’s policies and is trying to find somebody who can make an exception for this Seller.

She also needs escalate this to folks who can refine and clarify the policy so that $#@! like this just doesn’t happen in the first place.

For the NSFE OP, I’m with @maintak–try a SAFE-T. If denied, for $1500+ I would then have my lawyer contact Amazon’s lawyer. And if nothing improves, then I’m with @Roxy for small claims court, or a criminal report, or at least opening a case with the carrier (ETA: UPS).

This ain’t right.

2 Likes