Is Amazon giving anyone else's money away today?

I’m trying to figure out what’s going on. I have 7 ‘billing for return postage’ transactions today. That’s odd as heck, but what’s even odder are the dates of the original transactions.

• Purchased Apr 23, deliver by May 1
  • Purchased Apr 28, deliver by May 8
  • Purchased May 6, deliver by May 16
  • Purchased May 25, deliver by Jun 2
  • Purchased June 1, deliver by June 9
  • Purchased June 17, deliver by Jul 3
  • Purchased June 27, deliver by July 7

Did Amazon recently adopt a 365-day return policy and not tell anybody? :angry: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Only 2 of these fall within the return window, and the others aren’t even close. I’ve never seen anything like this before. At most, I have 1, maybe 2 returns in a day - and that’s a rarity. Seven?! No way. These customers, spread across purchase dates back to April, didn’t suddenly come together on their own and decide they wanted to return their stuff.

Some of the items fall under ‘clothing’ does that have a different returns period?

WTF is going on???

Shipping Overcharge Adjustments for allowing members of the Buyer Community to pick & choose packaging, and billing the costs of that to the 3P Seller, would be my first guess.

Shipping Overcharge Adjustments for allowing members of the Buyer Community to pick & choose packaging, and billing the costs of that to the 3P Seller, would be my first guess.

Sorry, but what? The question isn’t that the return shipping charges are out of line.

The question is - what triggered Amazon’s system to initiate buyer returns on behalf of the buyers when -

• The buyers themselves didn’t request them, at least not today (7 people getting together on the same date to all request returns from months ago? No…)
  • The return window for most of these returns has expired so they shouldn’t go through, regardless of whether it was a buyer or a rogue bot that initiated them.

Amazon was playing around with the Manage Order module a few days ago … perhaps in conjunction with their planned update of the Buy Shipping section …

We know you are very detail orientated but would question if you had either received email notifications / Amazon mail notifications on these 7 returns and shouldn’t their orders pop up with authorizations attached where the return should have been granted with a prior date? … Charges should only hit after the return label has been used. So it sounds like you didn’t know these 7 returns were coming?

1 Like

We know you are very detail orientated but would question if you had either received email notifications

I never check the email account Amazon has on file. When I started here, way back when, they sent me WAY too many emails every day. I finally figured out how to turn off the Sold, Ship Now notifications, but they still bombard me with messages. So I mostly abandoned the email account I gave them and rarely bother to check it.

I notice returns when I see the cost of the return label hit my payment balance.

shouldn’t their orders pop up with authorizations attached where the return should have been granted with a prior date?

Not sure what you’re asking here?

So it sounds like you didn’t know these 7 returns were coming?

Right, I had no idea, until the charges for return shipping showed up today.

Here’s the first one, from the returns page:
Completed: 18 days ago
Ordered: 83 days ago
Order Date: May 2, 2023 7:53:16 PM PDT
Request Date: May 8, 2023 10:03:24 AM PDT
Approval Date May 8, 2023 10:03:24 AM PDT
Close date July 7, 2023 12:08:25 AM PDT
Return reason: No longer needed

According to tracking, the package was mailed back to me on May 8 and received on May 10. So why is Amazon charging me for the return label today?

Second Refund:
Completed: 63 days ago
Ordered: 93 days ago
Order Date: April 23, 2023 9:39:29 AM PDT
Request Date: May 21, 2023 11:39:50 AM PDT
Approval Date May 21, 2023 11:39:50 AM PDT
Close date May 23, 2023 2:32:49 PM PDT

It shows the package was returned back to me on May 24. So WTF is a charge showing up related to it today??? :angry:

Third Refund:
Completed: 49 days ago
Ordered: 54 days ago
Order Date: June 1, 2023 9:04:50 AM PDT
Request Date: June 6, 2023 6:52:14 AM PDT
Approval Date June 6, 2023 6:52:14 AM PDT
Close date June 6, 2023 5:36:38 PM PDT

Package returned to me on June 10.

You get the gist. Why am I getting charges for these orders today???

Did Amazon forget to charge us for return labels at the time they were used? Or did Amazon go through and suddenly decide to charge us for return postage that was initially (and should have been) buyer paid? I’ll have to go through each order in more detail to figure out what Amazon’s doing, but I was wondering if anyone else saw the same thing today?

Check your transaction details

1 Like

Pull all transactions for just one order. See if you had a return label transaction at when the label was first scanned as coming back to you (or relatively close) and then see if you got a second transaction for the label. If so, then Amazon is passing through a corrected label charge and charging you the difference as an adjusted label charge (which Amazon started doing this year 1st QTR with first reports of charges happening in March of this year).

We rarely have a return so it wouldn’t be something we would be seeing.

1 Like

We also had one of these today. Amazon didn’t actually charge us for the return label when they should have. So the charge is correct, although very late.

Also, while this return should have been RFS, it was not. Makes me wonder if this delayed charge is part of the craziness of the inconsistent application by Amazon of RFS.

1 Like

I had the same thing happen. Amazon charged me for a return label more than six weeks after the return. I don’t know why they couldn’t have posted the charge on the day of purchase. “Buy Shipping” charges that I purchase for outgoing shipments are posted the same day.

1 Like

There are numerous threads on the NSFE today about this very thing. I’ll list what I can find to try to help. Sounds like you are not alone on this and it’s probably an Amazon glitch (or not).

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/seller-forums/discussions/t/caabe77c-5ef6-4896-9532-0dc7985b8fc5
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/seller-forums/discussions/t/4dcece84-b235-40aa-8968-b37eb6831864

Hope this helps.

-Ana

1 Like

#2 Seller Central Forum Widget
Shipping services purchased through Amazon “Billing for return postage”

Definitely not alone … Notice that Quincy_Amazon refers to the charges as “carrier shipping-correction charges” as we thought in prior post above.

1 Like

There have been multiple posts today,

Here is the latest from KJ

1 Like