messed up an order FBM

I recieved a FBM return request to approve, the reason was I sent them the wrong item. TBH I am not sure how I did that, I remember my printer was acting up that day and I had two orders for the same thing, but differnt holidays. I think I mixed them up. I am offering a free replacemen of the correct item to the person who asked for the return. She can keep the old one and get a new free one. no biggie.

I went to track the one I think I mixed up and per USPS its been stuck in transit for 10 days and not even delivered! I went to message the buyer to tell them its stuck and I was sending a new one (assuming I sent her the wrong occasion one). The message bounced back saying they opted out of soliciation. I am trying to locate their encrypted email. I saw a report once that had them,but I cannot find it. Can someone help me with this. Its not in the order report colum E like a lot of previous posts say.

The buyers of these items typically buy my items monthly (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) the one with the item stuck in transit has purchased 4 things in the past.
I really don’t mind sending out another one as I believe they will come back for the next occasion. I just need to figure out how to contact her to tell her what I am doing.

1 Like

Approve the return request and let the buyer make the next move.

This is not recommended because if they return the incorrect item, it is likely to be automatically refunded by Amazon.

None of this affects your answer to the return request, just approve the return request and let the buyer make the next move.

2 Likes

I really dont want the item back. It costs more to pay for the return then its actually worth.

If you don’t approve the return and the customer files an A-Z claim, you will lose the claim, Amazon will refund the customer, and you will get a strike against your ODR. If you send a replacement and the customer returns the first item, the item will be refunded and the customer will get the second item for free.

I am wondering why you’re being asked to approve the return, is this a handmade item or has the returns period expired?

2 Likes

It’s handmade.

I see what you are saying now. Never thought of that. I guess I don’t think like a scammed.

I already offered the replacement. I’ll see how this pans out tomorrow and chaulk it up to learning.

3 Likes

For the one you know you sent wrong, that is still en route, just send another. Print out a copy of your bounced message to include with the order so they can at least see you tried.

Since you know they are getting the wrong thing, just send the right one now.

For the one who has already contacted you - still approve the return. Failure to do so will hurt you if they decide to A2Z. Send the replacement if you like, for free, even if they never reply, if it’s not burden for you to do so. If they reply and say no they just want to return, then just issue the refund (and approve the return) and wave it goodbye.

This doesn’t happen with handmade, unless the seller is using SFP which very few of us do these days.

3 Likes

I’ve done this a couple of times. I sent a replacement (at the customer’s agreement) and closed the return request.

2 Likes

You could just authorized a refund without return, and tell them to order again if they still want the item.

3 Likes

I could. But I feel that I messed up, why make them go through more hoops.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve changed my shipping process back, so I won’t have this issue.
I wasn’t printing packing slip with label to save paper and time, but look where it got me!

2 Likes

Thanks for this reply. I’ll follow this guidance.

1 Like

amazon requires us to include the packing slip with all orders.

2 Likes

I was, then I stopped 2 weeks ago ( then screwed up).
I thought I had read we didn’t…
Well, Im back to printing them again, so it works out.

2 Likes

The packing slip requirement remains one of the few order-specific requirements of the ASBSA (link) (“Amazon Services Business Solutions Agreement,” FKA the “Participation Agreement” - aka the TOS) , as is specified in Clause (i) of section “S-2.1 Sale and Fulfillment” :

That being said, the vast abundance of evidence, for many, many years, strongly suggests that enforcement of said policy upon 3P Sellers is more honored in the breach than in the observance by Amazon (which itself, beginning quite a few years back, has been intermittently lax on including packing slips for FBA shipments), which has in turn given rise to the popular - albeit, mistaken - notion that the practice is not a published-policy requirement.

A pernicious side effect of said popular belief amongst our Seller Community is that it gives a leg up to the parasitic bookjackers and dropshippers - who near-universally request exclusion of a packing slip, in order to facilitate keeping the end recipient in the dark re: those entities’ role as a middleman - which so-often plague legitimate businesses.

1 Like

I print packing slips 2 to 1 page and cut them in half. It saves paper and is still readable. It does help keep orders in line. I make fewer mistakes this way. Distractions will also cause mix-ups. I now check before sealing.