New entry in 'Type' column on transaction report, FBA Customer Return Fee

My May transaction report has 4 orders with the Type ‘FBA Customer Return Fee’, Description ‘FBA Customer Return Per Unit Fee’, dollar amounts are all 0.

I am wondering if this is a new seller fee to come or if it is for this: CNN - Amazon to charge (some) Customers a Fee for Return

I can’t imagine Amazon giving us that fee; but they would have to include everything related to the order that the customer is charged and then back it out under ‘Other’ or somewhere.

Does anyone else see this with a dollar amount?

2 Likes

My guess is that the seller WILL NOT be charged. That’s absolutely ridiculous and illegal IMO.

This is probably just another example of one silo not knowing what the other silo was doing and they are rushing to set up the recording of this line item for the transaction view.

It’s probably not done yet but when it’s finished, sellers will be able to see it just like they see tax / shipping / giftwrap stuff on transactions / refunded orders.

1 Like

Yes, this is what I was referring to when I said they would have to include everything related to the order that the customer is charged and then back it out under ‘Other’ or somewhere. For the purpose of the 1099-K Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions reporting of everything that was charged to the credit card.

Charging the seller a fee for buyer behavior is ridiculous (but we do pay for ridiculous buyer behavior already with the return policy).

. To clarify, my line of questioning was is it for something like the FBA Returns processing fees .

Or is it the impending new fee for buyers returning items to a UPS store when there is a Whole Foods, Amazon Fresh grocery store or Kohl’s closer to their delivery address.

2 Likes

Tell that to regular Merchant Processors (like the company that you would pay to have a credit card machine in a B&M store). They charge retailers (AKA Sellers) for things like chargebacks, refunds, fraud, etc. no matter who started it or why. Just ask those nice guys in government why Sellers have to pay the fuel taxes on every gallon of gas, even if they give it away for free to the customer.

You should know by now that it is always the evil company (AKA Seller) that should pay and pay. The customer is always innocent, naive, and dumb.

1 Like

Any update or additional information @primetime ?

1 Like

I have not checked June transactions yet, but there were only 4 in May. It might be a while before Amazon starts populating i,t or before whatever the fee is for applies to one of my orders.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this on my reports as well, but it was $0 so I didn’t look into it. I don’t think they will start charging us, I think it’s just for accounting purposes. Maybe those fees (even though we don’t actually see any of it) will get added to our 1099K at the end of the year?

Then again, it wouldn’t be the first time they penalized sellers for something the sellers have no control over so who knows?

2 Likes

It is $0 on mine as well.

I figure it is either going to be a new charge to the buyers (offset by a credit) or a new column for this charge to the sellers: Returns processing fees

The FBA returns processing fee applies to customer-returned products sold on Amazon in the Apparel and Shoes categories.

I hope they don’t intend to expand that processing fee to other categories :worried:

2 Likes

That doesn’t make any sense, I don’t sell Apparel or Shoes yet I’ve seen transactions with this code used.
Again, it was for $0 but why would it even be there? Odd.

2 Likes

Might be the same justification that assigns us FBA space for shoes when we don’t sell shoes?? :crazy_face:

Purely speculation, maybe they plan to expand the fee to other categories, or most likely it is for the fee they are implementing for buyers who return via UPS instead of Kohl’s or Whole Foods.

1 Like