New Postmaster, new problems

We finally have a new permanent postmaster and supervisor.

Supvervisor is cool. Gave me his personal number, said come in the back door, it makes sense.

Postmaster is not. Ran into a temp supervisor yesterday who doesn’t like me coming in the back door (with about 60 first class packages), and I ended up talking to the postmaster. She also said “no more” do this…do that…

Her solution is to drop them off inside by their service door and ring the bell. (I have done that and NO ONE answers the door – mainly because NO ONE is in the back TO answer the door.

Today I went to the counter with 8 packages and asked for a receipt. Got told “I’ll do it this time, but we’re not supposed to because it’s “Ground Advantage” and you’re getting a discount.” Hmmm…

He’s been behind the counter for years and knows what I do.

Anybody know where the “law” or guidance is on-line on who is supposed to do what? How do you argue back if you don’t have access to their do’s and don’t…

Frustrated again.

I said I need an acceptance scan because if they get their first scan a day or three down the road, then it looks like I shipped them late. So I gotta control what I can – sorry, need a receipt to show an acceptance scan.

(Can’t go in the back and make it easy on me, then we’ll follow the rules – I need acceptance scans and receipt.).

1 Like

I had a similar situation with a totally non-responsive jerk Postmaster. I finally decided to make MY life easier.

I was using one satellite office that is a five mile round trip. I went to the next satellite with a different and much better guy running the locations. It’s now a 10 mile round trip but they take care of me. Since the satellite is a half day operation, if I’m running late I will drive to the real PO which is about an 18 mile round trip and they happen to be open until 6PM!

It may not work for you but I vowed to drive up to 25 miles if I had to to get away from my local one. The sad part is I LOVE my route driver and have had him for years.

Now all my revenue goes to the other site. It’s not a lot, but that $20,000/year in postage makes me one of the largest customers for the satellite!

Power corrupts!

3 Likes

Yes, shopping POs makes sense. So does using a scan sheet.

1 Like

Does Amazon consider this a valid acceptance scan because I have seen other people say that they don’t.

1 Like

I was just going to ask this too.

If I remember correctly, the answer is no.

Hoping someone else will chime in.

1 Like

The answer is NO but it is the best you are going to get at a lot of POs so you need to adjust your handling time. And it often works just fine if the next stop is nearby. Actually, no scan works fine if the next stop is nearby.

1 Like

From what we have seen, the scan sheet does not qualify for first scan by Amazon. Usually, the items will receive a scan latter on but, if that scan happens to take place on the next day and you needed the day you dropped off the packages with the scan sheet, then you will be late by Amazon standards and INR coverage will be void.

We have a small post office and the clerk will scan everything we take in right in front of us. As far as a receipt, we have not had to worry about that.

As far as the back door drop off, that is a matter of the size of the post office and it’s overall function (ie: does it serve as a distribution center?). It becomes a matter of the post master in control of his office, the amount of staff he is allowed and whether or not a set time has been established for back door drop offs. When we were in CA, the post office only excepted bulk through the back door from 4pm to 5pm.

For us currently, it is the distribution center that handles our packages is what matters. The one that is 27 miles away is pretty good. But when they are busy, the overflow goes to one 90 miles away. That one is a disaster for us. Normally, this only happens during the holidays. But this year, everything started going there on September 12, 2023. All of the shipments from September 14, 2023 are MIA that were processed through there. In fact, all of the packages from our post office from that day are MIA. We filed the insurance claims and took care of our site customers. The Amazon customer’s were referred to Amazon for INR A to Z claims (but none have filed so far … the process isn’t clear for the customer to submit). We expect some bad reviews and feedback on an issue created by the post office and a process that seems to be designed to push back onto the seller where Amazon has promised seller indemnity.

1 Like

I was in you camp until I finally gave up. Nowadays, I only make them scan when I have an insured package.

Ummm … Ground Advantage and Priority Mail both include $100 insurance so that would mean you need most packages scanned …? …

1 Like

The end-of-day sheet is required by the USPS for all drop-offs greater than (I think) 6 packages.
The mere scanning of the barcode is a provisional acceptance by the post office, and there is a presumption that all the packages implied by the scan sheet are “accepted”.

But but but! The next stop for your packages is the sorting center. They’ll hit that sorting center the evening that you dropped them at the local Post Orifice, and get scanned for sure, unless you live in some “town” that is just a crossroads with a population of 11 in the depths of Iowa, in which case you might need to add a day to the “handling time” just to get your packages to the edge of civilization.

Amazon might try to mess with you, and get technical for the case of a package that disappears before the first scan at the sorting center, but the post office likely won’t, moreso if you stay on the GOOD side of the local Postmistress.

The post office is going to try hard to get everything to the sorting center, leaving nothing behind. They want to “clear off the loading dock” every night.

2 Likes

We lost our postmaster two years ago.

Great guy, ran the office like a business. Asked us to always bring our packages to “his” office. He told us he was goaled on the quantity of packages he moves through the building. Gave us his email and sent us pictures of packages moving around the country when we asked.

His team scans every package. Everyday, regardless of what the volume is. Now that said, we are only a town of 25K people.

Now, he is gone, his team still has most of the attitude that he had. For the most part. They did put a sign on the commercial door, and it indicates, “Don’t ring the bell, security reasons.” Ok we don’t we just come earlier so we can set our bins on the counter.

Still don’t have a new postmaster, or we do and he/she hides and does not want to see us.

Again, at least the team still has a business attitude.

2 Likes

I don’t care about the $10 items. I’m talking more than $100.

1 Like

Issues are not normally with incoming or outgoing from the local post offices as the trucks servicing them are on a schedule that rarely various more then 30 minutes (1st hand knowledge from working for USPS). Most issues start at the distribution centers. When the volume becomes more than the distribution center can handle or there is a lack of the appropriate help level, then the distribution center will some times set aside certain bins to be worked later or load those bins onto a truck going to the next distribution center without even processing scans. This can make packages that have scan sheets to not be scanned until the next day (usually just after midnight). Currently, all of our packages pass through the distribution center 27 miles away and are sent to a distribution center 90 miles away. This has caused us lost packages, missed scans, routing issues and delays in delivery.

Exaggerated … even in Wyoming USPS does much better than that … Weather creates more issues than being in a small town in the middle of no where … as USPS runs on a schedule even in rural America.

1 Like

Call your USPS consumer affairs office and complain. You can find their phone number with the following link:

https://postalpro.usps.com/ppro-tools/consumer-affairs

2 Likes

I occasionally use a PO in the next town over because they are open later. It’s actually not much further away than the PO in my own town.

The ‘next town’ PO told me they don’t get credit for handling my packages because the credit assignment is based on the return address zip code and that PO gets the credit even when the package is mailed elsewhere. I have no idea if this is true.

1 Like

Not true … if you look at a label on the right side below the date and above the weight (on an Amazon USPS label), it says shipped from and the zip code where it is suppose to enter the USPS system. The return address may have the same zip code but that is only if you are shipping from that same post office.

Most programs have you enter in where you are going to “ship from”. As long as you enter the zip for the post office that you are dropping off at, they will get the credit.

2 Likes

I think we might have a slight typo here. Just sayin’ :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t change my ‘ship from’ zip on Amazon labels, so it matches the return address zip code.

Unanticipated time constraints usually send me to the out of town PO after the orders have been packaged and labeled.

1 Like

The PO location only gets credit if the ‘ship from’ Zip Code is the same as theirs.

My home address/return address is in one zip code but the ship from address is in a different one and they get all the credit.

One of the many advantages of using Endicia/Dazzle is that I am able to set my ‘shipping location’ to the address of the PO where 98% of the packages go. By doing that the Zip Codes match for cash flow.

The one man PO satellite is thrilled and the PO where I drop off the rest is the ‘parent’ of that small site so the Postmaster has a win/win going on.

3 Likes

This is what I was told.