Pending order issues with ship date

Hey everyone, have a FBM question…

Our shipping cut off time is 3:00 PM in our shipping settings. Is there a reason why pending orders will come across as actual orders after 3:00 PM with the “Ship by date” as the current day? Shouldn’t it be the following day since the order was changing from pending to unshipped past the shipping cut off time?

We keep having this issue and then we are scrambling to get last second orders coming in even at 4:30 PM…

As far as Amazon is concerned everyone needs to be on Pacific time. That is why we stopped 2 day shipping.

They thought that getting an order at 5pm (2 pm Pacific) our time was enough time to ship something 2 days

1 Like

Yes, and the Cut-Off Time phenomenon isn’t the only snafu in various Amazon mechanisms that arises solely because of a failure to properly address that time lag, in this, that, & t’other of Amazon’s badly-snarled systems.

That temporal orientation to Seattle’s Time Zone, PST, is also why the daily ‘refresh’ of its far-flung Enterprise Domain Networks commence @ 3:00 AM where you and I are along the Atlantic Seaboard, EST.

We are 100% FBM and never have this issue. Set your handle time to 2 days (preferred method is at item level but can be done in shipping settings as general for all items). Turn off one day, two day shipping if they are on. Make sure you do not have Automated Shipping or Automated Handle Time enabled … turn them off if you do.

If you have a professional account, your access in the shipping templates will have some enhancements that you can learn to use (multiple shipping templates) also.

4 Likes

This is an issue as old as time.

This becomes more of an issue when an order is stuck in pending for days or weeks, and then the moment it comes through its now “late”

The handling time is purposely blank (zero). I am not changing it to any other number, our competitor uses FBA and it would cost us sales.

2 Likes

Well sorrrrrryyyyy Yoda.

1 Like

I don’t know much, but I do know that’s Grogu–not Yoda.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: @Pepper_Thine_Angus

Seriously @Rand, the pending orders defy the cut-off.

It makes no sense.

2 Likes

Our shipping cut off time is 3:00 PM in our shipping settings. Is there a reason why pending orders will come across as actual orders after 3:00 PM with the “Ship by date” as the current day?

Are you sure your shipping settings are correct? Have you checked both this section, and the carrier-specific selections?

It seems that Amazon has changed the General Shipping Settings page recently, but they claim they haven’t changed any of our settings. It used to be that Amazon automatically set the cut-off time 30 minutes earlier than what you input, to allow for pending orders to clear. That is, if I used a 3 pm cut-off time, Amazon would only accept ‘ship today’ orders until 2:30 pm. Anything after that was considered post cut-off time.

In my settings now, it shows 4:30 pm (when I ship until 5), which could indicate that Amazon is now incorporating the 30-minute lag time into your cut-off time. If you could ship until 3 pm, you’d need to set 2:30 as your cut-off. ?? That’s just a guess, but I don’t recall setting my time as 4:30, I thought I used 5:00. I could be remembering that wrong though.

Shouldn’t it be the following day since the order was changing from pending to unshipped past the shipping cut off time?

We keep having this issue and then we are scrambling to get last second orders coming in even at 4:30 PM

An order that comes in at 4:30 pm wouldn’t be having the same 30-minute ‘changing from pending to unshipped’ issue. If you’re having orders coming in this late that still say ‘ship by today’, there’s probably some other issue.

Is this a recent problem, or something that’s been happening for a long time? :thinking:

You might want to consider using FBA as well if you don’t want to set extra handling time. The higher price you can charge will likely offset any costs associated with using FBA.

As for why it’s coming through as a same day order, my guess is the customer placed the order prior to 3 PM and it left pending status later. Amazon showed the customer a certain delivery date based on the time they clicked buy, so Amazon expects you to fulfill that promise no matter how long it stays in “pending” for.

Since we don’t have a thumbs-down ‘reaction’ emoji, I’ll have to do this the old-fashioned way. :laughing:

:-1:

You do not understand nearly as much about FBM shipping as you seem to think, and so much of what you post on the subject is wrong.

I realize you say you are just ‘guessing’ here, but what you said about the cut-off time is not how it works.

Please keep in mind we are all trying to help each other here, and when you post wrong info - even with the best intentions - someone may follow your ‘advice’ and damage their business.

Please stay aware of the potential consequences and post with care on subjects you don’t fully understand.

1 Like

Cool, so you want to go ahead and figure out FBA for over 300 SKUs for me?

Please don’t give me advice telling me how to change how I do things instead of advice for the actual issue.

There is a specific reason why some of us have to do FBM vs FBA.

3 Likes

:information_source: Just a mod note:
FBA and FBM are two different beasts. Each fulfillment method has pros and cons for every ecom business and/or product on Amazon. There is no one or right way to fulfill your Amazon orders–but there sure are plenty of wrong ways! Every Amazon Seller must decide for themselves which method to use, when, and how.

Because the policies, procedures, and needs of Sellers using FBA or FBM differ so significantly, SAS has different categories and tags for each.

FOR FBM (all clickable):
fbm
FBM

FOR FBA (all clickable):
fba
Fulfillment by Amazon
FBA orders and Customer Services
Onboarding FBA
Discrepancies in Shipment and Receiving
Shipping to Amazon
Deciphering Amazon’s inventory management
Fulfillment Reports
Multi Channel Fulfillment

We encourage SAS members to create topics asking their questions using these tools, and we encourage those replying to explore the topics with which they are most familiar by using those same tools.

@Roxy offered an excellent reminder:

2 Likes