RMT buyer? Dropshipper?

I suspect I may have found a new, possibly nefarious, dropshipper.

Twice in recent weeks, we have received FBM orders – to 2 entirely different names and addresses – where the “contact buyer” field is the same, um, intriguing, email address: rmtbuyer (followed by a two-digit number) (at) gmail dot com.

RMT stands for Real Money Trader in the video gaming world. It is the buying and selling of in-game items or characters in exchange for real currency. This practice is strictly prohibited on most gaming platforms and can get your account closed permanently. RMT buyers usually steal in-game items using hacked or stolen accounts, or by using stolen credit card information.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this as the buyer name on any orders, particularly book or media orders, or has any thoughts about what the email might signify. I generally do not fulfill orders from dropshippers, and if they’re using a handle that signifies theft and stolen credit card numbers, well, that just raises a huge red flag for me.

2 Likes

May I ask if there is any indication, via the Delivery Address, that the orders might’ve come from a Freight Forwarder rather than a true Dropshipper, such as said addresses often will reveal?

Both orders are to residences, and in two different states. Except for the same buyer contact, I can see no similarities in the orders, except both were for used books (totally different subject matter). The first order has been delivered with – so far – no problems.

The first order had a slightly different email: The two-digit number was one digit lower than on the second order. Example: rmtbuyer36, rmtbuyer37 (not the actual numbers).

2 Likes

I must not be understanding, where on Amazon do you see the buyers email address??

3 Likes

You do not normally see the buyer’s email address. In this case, the “Contact Buyer” name – the name of the buyer on an FBM order – is an email address. We see this occaisionally – some people use their email address as their contact name. It may be a real email address or not. When email and the internet were a new thing, years ago, some people did not understand the importance of keeping one’s email address private.

Usually, the “Contact Buyer” name is just a first name. For many years now, Amazon has not revealed even the (real) buyer’s last name, let alone their email address.

4 Likes

Okay I see what you mean. I’ve just never run across that, using email as the name. I am seeing many more “buyers” with names other than the one in the address. So far I am not seeing any problems with these orders. There are so many that I don’t think they are all “gift” purchases, but if there are no issues, I’m happy to keep sending the books. But do Please keep us tuned in if RMT turns into a Mara V.

3 Likes

Except for when you email the customer and your Amazon acknowledgement copy of the email you sent has their full name in the subject line.

Or when a customer responds an email and the customer’s full name appears in the from section.

3 Likes

Or when certain API queries expose the same loophole, in either and/or both fashions (re: Full Name or ACTUAL Buyer Account email address).

Despite the PII Initiative having been a prime motivator for the agonizingly-slow transition from the MWS API to the less-robust SP-API.

2 Likes

True. But I find that dropshippers almost always either use only a first name as their buyer name or a completely fake first and/or last name. I have my buyer name set to something that is not even a name, but a phrase, and that’s what shows up on the handful of reviews and feedbacks I have left over the years.

I do understand that different buyer and recipient names don’t necessarily mean there’s something wrong with the order. Often it’s a relative, or couples who have a joint account, or the name of an employee in charge of purchasing, or other things. But sometimes it indicates a dropshipper.

3 Likes

I am also seeing more with PO947546FZ as part of the name line (or instead of a name). But again, so far no problems. And I send it exactly as the buyer has put it, so their bad if it doesn’t get to the correct person.

2 Likes

This ^^^ is weird, especially since the two different emails were both used as the name, yet…

and

:grimacing::thinking:

1 Like

it’s odd, but it might not mean what you think it means? I clicked this thread because I fully understand RMT, but it could be this case isn’t that.

2 Likes