Shipping Delays Expected on the East Coast

Panamax/Suezmax cargo ships are generally provided, as are many smaller vessels in these modern times, with alternative sources of three-phase (and/or through less efficient methodologies) with @ least one electrical power generation & distribution ‘backup’ (even if their reach is not 'ship-wide, to ALL auxiliary systems dedicated to the Life Support needs of the embarked crew, probably because crew consideration don’t count as much as does cargo, Maritime Insurance, & profitability in the operator’s calculations).

There exist global agreements on the ever-evolving Maritime Law - mostly less-older, now, than a ½-century back, but NOT entirely - which specify that compliance with such a provision is mandatory for entry into this or that Port Of Call.

4 Likes

After the two in-port blackouts on March 25, the ship’s crew switched to a different transformer and set of breakers from those that had been in use for several months, according to NTSB Chair Jennifer Homendy. That may have impacted the ship’s operations when it left the port a day later, she said.

The report found the Dali was just three ships’ lengths from the bridge when it suffered a pair of catastrophic electrical failures, which caused several pumps required for the ship’s propeller and rudder to stop working. The emergency generator activated but was not configured to power the ship, the report said.

1 Like

About 31 seconds after the second blackout, the crew manually restored the power.

AT 1:29 a.m., the Dali struck the pier of the Francis Key Bridge at 6.5 knots, or about 7.5 mph.

“The crew regained electrical power before the vessel struck the pier but was unable to regain propulsion,” the report reads.

1 Like

Another one today:

Fuel barge crashes into Galveston bridge, spilling oil and causing ‘major disruption’

Untitled

5 Likes

This is an awful story I heard a few years ago:

3 Likes

I saw some coverage of the controlled demolition of the part of the bridge resting on the ship. They waited until all the victims had been recovered before doing this (I’m not really too sentimental, but I can see that being a good thing).
The coverage mentioned that the crew was on board, not only because they normally never leave the ship (even in port), but because they are the ones that would be best able to respond if anything went wrong with the demolition. Makes complete sense.

And of course, if I had ever entertained any thought that working on a ship would be a good idea, this is further evidence to the contrary.

Last I saw, it was not sure if removing the superstructure of the bridge was enough to re-float the ship; a section of roadway is still resting over the ship.

5 Likes