Stay safe South West!

Vacation mode if your in the path! Stay safe and stay dry!

12 Likes

We survived the apocalypse.

Crazy on Saturday, people were lined up around many of the stores to stock up on groceries, clearing the shelves of toilet paper and water, and lots of folks panicking from all the media hype and spent a good deal of the day filling sandbags.

We felt the earth shake on Sunday from a 5.1 earthquake in Ojai CA (100 miles away).

369736493_1900751440325441_7146726601154534818_n

This morning from Manhattan Beach CA.

368683525_841908830667967_4577892851362926093_n
369698964_1064123134576304_1169431347164973151_n
drizzle

5 Likes

I haven’t been able to get ahold of my parents yet.

I was in NY during Sandy, and I firmly believe better safe than sorry.

4 Likes

Currently in CA, North and its cloudy and windy today

LA had an earthquake and rain

Vegas has rains and wind

1 Like

I concur with maintak.

Glad that it hit weaker than it could have… too often it is the other way around.

Had it taken a slightly different path (stayed over water longer and turned a hard right instead of due north over Baja), the outcome might have been more dire.

1 Like

I was worried we’d have major flooding because we have a lake in our backyard every time there’s heavy rain. This did not feel bad at all. The rain was just regular rain, and our backyard did not flood. I heard heavy wind at night, but nothing blew away. I’ve seen much worse during other storms in this area.

Son says it’s because we were in the eye. Did a little driving today and all looks normal. No flooding anywhere here. Not sure how the rest of Southern California fared.

2 Likes

We should never minimize severe weather events just because we didn’t experience it personally or because it wasn’t as severe as it could have been.

It is always better to be safe and prepared than sorry and starving, as we know literally and figuratively from e-comm. And this was their FIRST EVER tropical storm warning. It was tropical force winds that burned the Smokies in 2016.

Under its first-ever tropical storm warning, Southern California received historic rainfall that closed many major roadways, flooded homes and businesses, knocked out power to thousands and closed schools across the region. The Angels postponed their Monday night baseball game to Wednesday, citing the effects of storm.

In some areas, the storm’s damage is still being assessed as officials work to access cut-off communities and rescue those who were stranded.

“Some places did see rather severe flooding, and that extends actually into Nevada,” Daniel Swain, a UCLA climate scientist, said Monday. But “some areas in Southern California did escape a worst-case flood event.”

“I think if people hadn’t taken it seriously, if people hadn’t prepared, we would have had many more injuries. We would have had deaths because people would have been on the roadways,” Bass said. “One of the things that we asked them to do was to stay home — and people did stay home.”

See also below. They had gusts at 84mph (the Smokies 87mph). That is serious weather.

5 Likes

Patently untrue.

Citational references are available upon request.

1 Like

I literally just quoted the article I linked, so forgive me and take it to the LA Times, but why on earth is that a salient point here?

Like, why even get hostile with bold and underline?

Even if it wasn’t the area’s exact first time, it is so uncommon in that area that it was likely many residents’ first time. Or felt like the first time.

What a bizarre “counterpoint”. :grimacing:

1 Like

For what it’s worth, every news article I read about this storm also mentioned it was the first tropical storm warning. Not to say that it was the first ever tropical storm.

Emphasis is not hostility in any other eye than the beholder’s.

I would defy anyone’s ability to make a compellingly-convincing case that we are not being led astray from the fold when we take ANY supposedly-authoritative source of information at face-value…

3 Likes

OK, so now I’m curious. Please may I see some of these citations that there have been previous tropical storm warnings?

1 Like

Well, I did experience it personally, and it was not as severe as it could have been. I did not minimize anything. Where did you get that?

I expect that I will be just as prepared for the next storm. We usually are, because we camp in the boonies and have lots of MREs, frozen/canned foods, survival gear, water, and toilet paper.

1 Like

Nobody said you did. @papy was agreeing with the sentiment of my “better safe than sorry” comment. You were just the poster directly above hers.

4 Likes

We think that what gets lost in the mix is the reference to size when talking about “Southern California”. San Diego to Bakersfield is about 230 miles. The coast to the Nevada / Arizona borders is 240 to 280 miles or more. So basically, we are talking about the size of the state of Wyoming. What happens in Yellowstone may not be the same as what happens in the Black Hills.

My sister lives in the South Bay. Wasn’t a big rain thing but felt the earthquake. My daughter lives in the high desert above LA and got 6 to 8 inches of rain but barely felt the earthquake. My son lives in Bakersfield and enjoyed the “light” rain but didn’t feel the earthquake. My daughters in Las Vegas told tells of streets flooding (but the concrete jungle floods with an inch of rain). My step daughter lives at the foothills of the Los Angeles forest … flash floods, mud slides, rock slides and wild rivers beds that are normally dry.

Southern California as a region covers a lot of area. The stories will be varied by the location within that area.

4 Likes

Uh oh, did I hit the “reply” button to your post instead of the thread “reply”? Did not mean to, but sometimes I get it cross-wise.

I have personally lived through too many weather disasters in my life to list, including two in two states in just the last couple of weeks, with significant damage, destruction, loss of power, lives, and jobs–and every time some folks are out there saying, “Well I only got some sprinkles, everyone overreacted, meteorologists can’t predict anything” etc.

It is so frustrating, hearing the lucky ones add insults to actual injuries.

I generally wish most folks would spend more time in gratitude when they escape what others could not.

4 Likes

I’m sorry. I did not mean to insult anyone. It’s just that we have family and friends all over this region (literally mountains to seaside) and have yet to hear of disaster from anyone. Yes, there were pockets of problems, but the vast majority of people were fine. I don’t think it needs to be blown out of proportion. Even the article you cited said “extremely fast rainfall rates didn’t materialize — sparing the region from much of the ‘catastrophic’ flooding that flashed in warnings.”

When there were fires all over the state, I did not see anyone gloating over not having their house burned down, so people really do understand.

If you have access behind the L.A. Times paywall, you’ll find reference to no less than four occurring in a single month in 1939 (in the format that was used by the NOAA at that time).

Hearst’s & Reuter’s archives will reveal the same, as will others.

I didn’t think you did.

:confused: How is it being blown out of proportion?

Okay??? This is true, but I’m failing to see the significance. Many weather events are less severe than predicted at some point. Many are more severe than predicted at some point. Many are not predicted at all.

Many people are still suffering tonight because of this weather event. And will be for quite some time. That’s important. That’s the point. And should inspire gratitude, not some quibbling over news articles or if there were four so-called “tropical storm warnings” in 1939. :roll_eyes:

Again, better safe and prepared, than sorry and starving, or jobless, or with a home that’s severely damaged, or with an injured loved one, etc.

1 Like

And there’s the point I’m trying to drive home:

Only WE ourselves can prevent disaster visiting our hearth & home.