UPS to USPS

My island has a UPS agent since UPS does not have any island operations. Lately Amazon has been using USPS exclusively making it a hardship on both our small post office and islanders. Most of the island has PO boxes for USPS but UPS and FedEx deliver to door. The UPS agent drivers are still making the routes but with near empty trucks.
Anyone know what is going on between UPS and Amazon?

1 Like

Anyone know what is going on between UPS and Amazon?

No, but I’m curious about your question. What is a UPS agent? You’re not that small up there (assuming you are in Orcas Island, based on your name).

I was surprised to find that Oprah owns a house there. :open_mouth: I’ve never been there myself, but grew up in the Seattle area.

1 Like

Aeronautical Services is a shipping agent and parcel forwarder for UPS. They deliver and pickup from the mainland and deliver door to door on the island. They used to do FedEx as well but FedEx brought in their own local network some years ago. The island has less than 6000 full time residents.

She sold it last year but still owns a good portion of the retail buildings in the village when she went on a buying spree around the time she brought her house. She’s apparently a good landlord and has upgraded all the properties at a time when Covid was putting a hurt on most of the businesses.

1 Like

Amazon is unlikely to use UPS for last mile delivery if it uses Amazon Logistics for any part of the delivery.

Only time I see UPS used by Amazon is from an FC more than half the country distant from me.

USPS charges far less than UPS does for last mile.

Virtually ALL of my Amazon shipments had been UPS except for my 3oz. FBA removals which most always come USPS. Yesterday, I received a 3 oz FBA removal via UPS but got a toaster via USPS. ???

2 Likes

Does anyone know how to find tracking information on an FBA removal? Seems like there should be valid tracking info or Amazon should receive a ding on their valid tracking rate.

2 Likes

It is on this report download: Fulfillment > Removals > Removal Shipment Detail

2 Likes

In my experience, UPS high-volume rate discounts have been shrinking which makes the post office a really attractive option.

2 Likes

The tracking only works for non-TBA, like most.

Either way, I have successfully claimed reimbursement on INR removals.

1 Like

I did too. I got a fancy packaged assorted sticky notes for my pr of removed earrings, opened a case with photoes of the item and the little squre note that came with it, and was reimburesed for my earrings and got to keep the other item (they didn’t ask me to return). The fancy sticky notes was supposed to be a gift for somebody, so that person probably got my earrings, and maybe thought that was the gift?

Hope you need an extra toaster. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I guess I was not clear. I was illustrating how Amazon warehouses shipped my 3oz FBA removal with UPS, yet they shipped my larger heavier order for a toaster USPS. I cannot figure who is offering Amazon the best value lately. Apparently USPS, because I have an order in transit for a case of copy paper, toner cartridge and ink which before recently all arrived UPS and now are arriving USPS.

My location I get an assortment. Sometimes I get UPS delivered last mile via USPS. Most the time UPS shows up in my driveway though. And I regularly get strange cars in my driveway and freaked out Amazon drivers afraid to approach the gate unless I walk out there. (we have some big dogs.) I haven’t figured much rhyme or reason to which service gets used except that I’m sure all the Amazon Drivers are coming from relatively local Fulfillment centers while anything via UPS is probably from further away. How they choose what arrives in my driveway via UPS and what gets dropped off at the post office just down the street to be delivered into the mailbox at the corner by the post office, I really don’t know.

2 Likes

Unless packages are shipping direct from a 3p seller, the whole island seems to be getting all Amazon fulfilled packages shipped USPS. It seems like it could be an issue where Amazon/UPS has now flagged this zip code as having no UPS service. :man_shrugging: The tiny post office is running out of room, our UPS agent is twiddling their thumbs, and everyone now has to go to the post office to pick up their packages. This will surely change some shopping habits here and Amazon will be the loser. Go Walmart!

1 Like

Are these sent UPS Surepost?

No offense but Orcas Island is not precisely on the beaten path. I had a shipment to Eastsound, WA last year. UPS WorldShip rates are normally $8 to $21 to ship for me (9lbs), that one cost me $47.00. If I could use USPS, Parcel Select would have been $12.00.

I suspect, that the cost is the issue.

If it is, I cannot tell by the tracking or the label. Normally I have seen “Surepost” somewhere on the label.

I had been getting regular UPS shipments from Amazon for 13+ years so :man_shrugging:
I suspect it has more to do with this

1 Like

Here is the first part of the actual USPS tracking so maybe it is last mile for Amazon? :man_shrugging:

No, that is pure USPS Parcel Select.

It’s 100% about cost. If we follow the tracking, it’s interesting that Amazon appears to have transported your order all the way to your remote islands Post Office, and let USPS finish final mile. If Wal-Mart gets too many delivery orders online (I think your closest Wal-Mart is in Oak Harbor) to your island they are going to cut your zip code off and require in-store pickup. Right now, Wal-Mart is willing to just absorb the losses. But Wal-Mart’s assumption of loss, as Portland, OR learned is not infinite. I think it’s funny that Wal-Mart began offering Walmart Fulfillment Services - Walmart Marketplace two years ago. To try and compete with Amazon Prime and FBA. But will not accept anything regulated.

1 Like

I think it’s gonna cost Amazon their sales here (small potatoes) because people are already in an uproar about having to go to the PO for their orders. So many people think that ALL orders on Amazon ship from Amazon so it’s bound to hurt 3p sellers as well.

As it is now, I’m still getting sold and shipped by Walmart in 2 days but we’ll see. Sometimes I get Costco dry goods next day if Fed-Ex decides they want to deliver on time. If it’s frozen, it goes to Troutdale Oregon and sits a few days before they figure out it went the wrong direction

1 Like

A statistical anomaly…

5,400 people, spread out over 57 sq miles? You realize that there are more homeless people living in San Fransisco, CA (7,800 estimated) covering a mere 46.5 sq miles. 3PS around the world are hurt far more by the homelessness in San Fransisco than by your “I have to go to the Post Office to get my stuff” problem. Think of it as part of the appeal of living on a small island in the Pacific Island. You’ve got it pretty good, you’ve got a quick, what is it? half hour ferry ride to shop at Wal-Mart and be home that night. The guys on Majuro have a five hour flight, to shop at Wal-Mart.

1 Like

Yes as I said small potatoes, but since the ferry is an all day ordeal and no place to shop here, there is a lot of Amazon, Costco and Walmart shopping going on. 20-30 cargo vans daily delivering, plus the post office. So yes, small potatoes.

I would think this would be helpful to 3ps. I don’t want to shop in many areas, certainly not downtown Seattle. Especially since there are so many stores closing in problem areas.

1 Like