Violation of Amazon Marketplace Fair Pricing Policy

I posted these several months ago on the Amazon Forum but found no solution. Over time the number of “Violation of Amazon Marketplace Fair Pricing Policy” has increased

Next to the Violation is an “Update Pricing” button. Clicking that takes me to the following screen.

I price to the minimum/recommended price, yet the violations do not go away. I tried explaining this to the Account Health Rep, but has no suggestions for me.

Please, if anyone has had similar issues, how did you resolve them?

1 Like

The short answer is, Amazon’s bots think you’re price gouging.

Do you have an idea what the comparable prices are for this product, both on and off Amazon? Does the product’s UPC link to any other cheaper products that could potentially confuse the bots?

1 Like

Comparable pricing fall within the min-max range as displayed above. Placing values below the minimum didnt work either.

The product UPC is unique to us and only on the amazon marketplace. Not sure how the bots are looking at comparable products.

1 Like

Assuming you already went through the official channels (seller support, maybe account health support) and came up empty, this is going to be a tough nut to crack, as Amazon’s not very transparent about how they made that decision.

Usually high/low pricing errors are because your price is outside of the minimum - maximum range. But that doesn’t seem to be the case here. Maybe try expanding your minimum and maximum price range? (But leave your actual selling price the same).

1 Like

The price shown under minimum price is not a recommended price, it is your minimum price. Since Amazon does not have enough information to generate their own minimum price, they are just showing yours. However, this does not mean that they endorse this price as a valid minimum. In the hierarchy of things Amazon checks to generate what they believe is a “fair” price, the inputs for minimum and maximum buy a seller are dead last.

A situation like your example, where Amazon shows “No applicable Reference price,” usually occurs when Amazon does not have a recent sales history for this item and there is no list price entered. In this case, Amazon will often look at the identical or what they deem to be sufficiently similar items for sale off Amazon for a price point. In your case, it is possible that this item or a sufficiently similar item is available for sale off Amazon at a lower price.

If you are the brand owner or have control of the listing you can change the list price. If you can’t change the list price or if that does not work, you can lower the price of this item until you find the price point where the listing reactivates, then slowly raise the price over a period of time.

Note that sufficiently similar does not mean that the items are actually similar, only that an Amabot thinks they are.

5 Likes

@WorkYard have you researched what prices Amazon might be using to flag your product?

In addition to @maintak 's suggestions…

…I would recommend widening the min-max range that you have entered for this product. Remember, these are not visible to any other Sellers, distributors, resellers, etc, and do not constitute MAP range or recommended prices, and they are not repricer guidelines; these are only data entered to satisfy the Amabots. Be sure to adjust both minimum and maximum prices.

1 Like

I have found this to be true with books. Even if you do not control the listing, you can lever prices slowly upwards. Amazon uses the price that you had yesterday in its calculation of what is a ‘fair’ price today.

It is, of course, “garbage in, garbage out”. But despite Amazon’s best efforts to screw things up, you can make it work for you. It is also “reasonable price in, reasonable price out”.

3 Likes