Wednesday, May 31 - Seattle Amazon workers plan walkout over return to office, layoffs

Some Amazon employees in Seattle plan to walk off the job to show their frustration with recent layoffs, return-to-office mandates and a lack of action to address the company’s impact on climate change, organizers said.

A group of workers is urging their colleagues to walk out May 31, a week after Amazon’s annual shareholder meeting and a month after the company’s return-to-office mandate took effect. The Washington Post first reported on the plans Monday.

The action hinges on at least 1,000 Amazon employees from the company’s Seattle headquarters agreeing to participate in the one-day walkout, one worker who plans to walk out told The Seattle Times.

“We’re really walking out to show leadership is taking us in the wrong direction and employees need a say in the decisions that affect our lives,” said the worker, a software engineer based in Seattle who asked to remain anonymous to protect their job. “It’s a one-day walkout to show power.”

In response, an Amazon spokesperson said, “We respect our employees’ rights to express their opinions.”

Read the rest of the story at:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/seattle-amazon-workers-plan-walkout-over-return-to-office-layoffs/

3 Likes

They respect sellers rights to express their opinion on the NSFE :joy:

1 Like

The estimated total pay for a Corporate Office at Amazon is $260,339 per year. This number represents the median, which is the midpoint of the ranges from our proprietary Total Pay Estimate model and based on salaries collected from our users. The estimated base pay is $110,448 per year. The estimated additional pay is $149,891 per year. Additional pay could include bonus, stock, commission, profit sharing or tips. The “Most Likely Range” represents values that exist within the 25th and 75th percentile of all pay data available for this role. – glassdoor

Famine in Africa, War in Ukraine, Earthquake in Turkey/Syria, Airliner crash in Pokhara and you’re upset that you have to get up and go to work…

boo-hoo

2 Likes

I can’t argue with you here.

There are many many many things they could walk out of the office for that are wrong at Amazon, IMO return to office is not one of them (AT THE MOMENT)

1 Like

We have a cousin that got a taste of working from home during COVID. Coming out of COVID, my cousin left Yahoo for another company. “Working from Home” for my cousin means spending a week in a ski resort working and skiing one week and the next week being in Napa Valley working and wine tasting.

Not quite the same “Working from Home” set up that we have … we’re actually at home working. :thinking::man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I am retired, have enough money to last as long as I live, and am still working.

I am as out of touch with today’s workplace as is possible. But if I was working in today’s workplace, I would not have enough money to last as long as I live, and probably would not be working.

I made my money doing things that interested me, and when they stopped interesting me, I did something else.

I could not get away with that in today’s world.

7 Likes

I know when my workplace starts to crack down on things its always a good time to walk-off the job. Lets the management know how much I value the company.

ehat-300x210

Not to be predictable but…

Characterizing this as a “protest against having to work, at all, ever” sounds unreasonably sour grapes, even for this crowd.

That employee, who is a software engineer and asked to remain anonymous to protect their job, said they are concerned about the health risks of working in the office. They said they asked the company to designate an area of the office where masks are required to protect against the spread of COVID.

…and Amazon did not do so.

This was a reasonable request that Amazon could have easily arranged and would’ve signaled that they are asking for return to office in good faith.

But as we well know as Sellers, Amazon’s unilaterally changing rules at whim–which yes technically they certainly can do–are never based on anything that they claim or try to spin, but only self-interest and self-preservation.

The company has said it’s making progress on its climate goals but the worker accused Amazon of “greenwashing.”

“To me, there’s so much risk in not doing anything,” the worker said.

:us: Calling out a corporation for being lying liars is always our right in this here U S of A.

:roll_eyes:

…yet a Silicon Valley “genius” spent $44B just to $#@!post on Twitter so that the coolest trolls would laugh with him not at him. :woman_shrugging:

If we’re gonna fuss at the middle-class exercising their 1A rights, then let’s ALSO call out the nepo baby grifters who could have actually addressed those problems.

1 Like

If I were Amazon, I would tell those employees to just not bother coming back. As Amazon is looking for positions to terminate, they just got 1,000+ volunteers… :grin:

4 Likes

I mean your not wrong

Well … maybe wait long enough for them to remove that little deactivation notice sitting on our seller central home pages … :thinking:

3 Likes

Your cousin is doing it right :slight_smile:

@papy :heart_hands:

1 Like

Best news I’ve heard all month and today is the last day of the month.

Less people mean less problems for sellers.

Return to office… What a bunch of babies… It’s called a job and you should be going to it. That’s how it’s always worked.

Layoffs… Maybe if those people were better at their jobs, things would be better and they wouldn’t need to be layoffs.

Cry me a river Amazon employees. Probably a real cush, relaxing job if you aren’t in a warehouse or driving a van / truck.

1 Like

No it wasn’t. It was political theater.

SAS is not a forum where the validity of anyone’s response to COVID 19 should be discussed. That is not the focus of this platform.

The workers have raised a question, management has denied it. The workers are responding with a potential walk out. That is the topic being discussed here in this thread.

3 Likes

Please. A reasonable request is asking for two-ply toilet paper in the company restrooms, instead of needing to bring your own from home. Demanding that you get to not go to work and still get paid more than the entire Ethiopian Naval budget of is NOT reasonable.

3 Likes

I’ll take this opportunity to recommend the movie “Glass Onion” on Netflix, as Edward Norton is essentially Elon Musk in the film. Hilarity ensues.

3 Likes

Did I say it was reasonable?

Though some people have said in their visits to HQ that the offices are very dirty, but she says a lot of things

I agree that this might be a matter of First Amendment rights, but they might be the right to freedom of religion.

Some people are more prone to accept “junk science” than others because of their belief system.