[WHEC] Consumer Investigation: A consumer got a $5,200 surprise from Amazon. Then she called News10 NBC

4 Likes

OK, Few things here, typical of local news, title has a typo, it’s not a $5200 issue, it’s a 5200lb issue.

Second, anyone else smell China seller trying to dump the inventory out of FBA so they grab an address from a past order and click “remove”? I can’t see who the seller was on the asin, but I’m just guessing.

EDIT: Wayback machine shows a seller in 2022: https://www.amazon.com/sp?seller=A1FA2MGWOSBOY8

3 Likes

It’s probably a garbage AI generated title.

It actually does not make sense that they picked a random customer address to hit remove to. For one, sellers no longer get buyer’s addresses for FBA. And why would a seller remove it to a random address when they can dispose instead? Seems like an FBA screw up somehow.

3 Likes

Speaking as someone who has received post cards from China FBA sellers in the past asking for compensated reviews, evidence says otherwise.

This has been a question I have asked in the past also, but this is NOT the first instance of Amazon delivering thousands of packages to a residence

3 Likes

The Chinese Brush tars far and wide.

Immediately-realizable profit is not the only game where Beijing’s TPTB are engaged.

4 Likes

Well, I guess that’s another advantage chinese sellers get over US sellers, because I can’t access addresses and I’ve looked at every report that potentially contains that information.

For something like this, the police should be involved if they don’t promptly remove it. Dumping trash on someone’s property is illegal.

3 Likes

Obviously the recipient is pretty honest. Someone less so might have come to the conclusion that they hadn’t been billed for the stuff, it had been delivered to them for free, so they could claim it was gifted and start selling on eBay as ‘surplus’ and at least make a few bucks.

Hey Amazon – I can furnish my address if you are feeling real generous again…

4 Likes

According to this, if something is delivered to you unsolicited (and it’s addressed to YOU/your address), legally it’s now yours. The problem here is the homeowner probably doesn’t want this crap and doesn’t want to try to sell it. I would not appreciate this either and would report whoever delivered it for illegal dumping.

Now, if it was a pallet of gold bullion, I’d be keeping that and not saying a word to anybody, but 4 pallets of some junky planters that you’d be lucky to sell for 10 bucks each? That’s a nuisance.

3 Likes

They could be totally honest and do that; it’s perfectly within the law.

But most people can figure out that if a Chinese seller can’t push this garbage on Amazon, then no one stands a chance of moving it on smaller marketplaces.

2 Likes

I would agree that most people, provided that they are able to use their heads for more than a mere hat-rack, CAN understand your astute observation.

Sadly, the rise of The 'Net has reinforced the ill-taken conviction that IT isThe SOURCE Of ALL Knowledge” - and the development of such a viewpoint upon this mortal coil forebodes but a singular trend, as far as I am able to tell:

#IdiocracyISComing

True, but the profit margin is infinite, I have a bunch of ‘long tail’ stuff already, I have room in the yard for storage, and, garage sale season is just around the corner!

Come on Amazon, spread the cr#$…

3 Likes

My favorite part of the piece is this" Amazon spokesman, Richard Rocha wrote, “We’d like to thank News10NBC for bringing this to our attention. "…ROFL

5 Likes

While you might be willing to waste your time on this crap, a lot of people would be super pissed off to have to deal with it.

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks that when the person sent it into fba they didn’t break it apart into smaller units?

The article was kind of confusing, but it sounded like she ordered 2 planters and received 2 whole pallets ?

I know one time I ordered a bag of cashews from Amazon and instead of 1 bag they sent me one case and I had 6 bags of cashews.

4 Likes

I think she ordered a planter (or two) sometime in the past, then months/year later the pallets showed up

Yep, I’ve had that happen

3 Likes

they do and through insiders. I got phone calls and e-mails outside of Amazon when I left a negative review on a Chinese product. They offered a full refund (which I already had) a free product and money to remove the negative review.

I reported it to Amazon who basically said, Oh well.

7 Likes

Hmm, so if you buy a bunch of chinese products and leave negative reviews, you can expect phone calls offering $$ to remove them? Wonder how much you could make off each one.

That is kinda messed up that they’re getting that info that easily.

3 Likes

All it takes is a peg upon which to hang one’s hat for Bad Actors to exploit a vulnerability vector.

Such vulnerabilities abound, both at the hands of y’all* we humans ourselves, and at the hands of the lower echelons of Amazon’s poorly-cobbled Support Infrastructure - be the entity responding at the daemon level be human or not.

Please pardon the Freudian Slip, folks.

We all know that I’ve spilt no little ink in attempting to prop up the notion that I, myself, am Human.

That Initiative seems to have provided little recompense…

2 Likes

Looking at this a little closer, it does seem like some kind of FBA eff up. This product has 91 reviews, and comparable products are also popular. So it’s not something that doesn’t sell. There’s also likely not any product quality issue since this is a very simple product, it’s just pieces of metal and some screws.

Maybe they asked BR seller support how to place a removal order and they took the liberty of removing ALL their inventory to a random address for them.

5 Likes

Well, seasonally.

:rofl:

1 Like