"15-second commercial" tips

:question: How do you answer “What do you do for a living?”

This is more about branding/business basics than exactly advertising, but I found the quick blurb helpful and an important exercise, both as you start a business and to be revisited often enough to stay fresh. It’s basically a mini-mission statement plus subtle CTA (call to action) for networking, referrals, and marketing.

I am not affiliated with this social marketer or her business, but this is the link for her Facebook group: Redirecting....

2 Likes

I’m sorry but i passed out after I read social synergy group.

But then again, I hate networking and I equally hate explaining what I do. I typically respond with “I sell shit online”

4 Likes

I sort of like that answer.

I always respond, “We are a color imaging and marketing company that sells with eCommerce.” Everyone looks at us with a blank stare.

What I have found is when I tell them about a product we manufacture, they get it. While this market has dwindled, we used to do the parts for the machines used to crush pennies. By bringing up a machine that they have seen or used, they get it.

5 Likes

Yup, that’s why I crafted my response.

In the end nobody really cares anyways. Just a how-do-you-do type question.

1 Like

Absolutely. Though some of my neighbors became fascinated with eCommerce. They see us as the guy that wakes up every morning to orders pulling in the dough overnight. What they have no clue about is all the work, from then until shipping time.

2 Likes

Hello! I am Papy with Scamazon and I help dropshippers to utilize the synergistic output of social engineered algorithmic feedback with tiered team-building and.. and... wibble.

Another brain melted.

2 Likes

Ooohhhh Mad Libs! :crazy_face:

Steve
Elephants
Refrigerators
Exercise

2 Likes

Depending on how much time I spent with noobs on the OSFE that day, I would be qualified in saying I work with special needs people.

3 Likes

I carefully manage chaos and try to harness it for profit.

I am marginally successful.

2 Likes

Chaos-is-a-ladder GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

2 Likes

Typically, I get one of two responses. The first is “what do you sell and do you make good money at it?” (like I’m going to tell). The second is that their eyes glaze over and they quit talking to me. I love the second response as I don’t have to do any more explaining.

2 Likes

I sound like a 12 year old girl when I say “I make jewelry!”

1 Like

“imagine, design, and carefully assemble personal lifestyle statement pieces”

3 Likes

@joebcrafts the 5-second pitch!

5 seconds: “I’m an artist. I make stuff.”

10-second pitch: “I’m a creative artist. I work with color, design, and the written word.”

2 Likes