Amateur Clown Trash or Frugal Cost Cutter?

So I received an order today for a grocery item via Amazon that was not available locally only to get a normal Amazon box with this inside.


I figured I would ask other sellers… What are your thoughts on using USPS priority mail bubble mailers as your primary packaging for liquid filled glass containers to customers, and NOT as your actual mailing container.

Those of you who know me, know exactly what I think, but what is your opinion? Where on the spectrum from amateur clown to frugal cost cutter do you find this seller behavior as a consumer and competitor???

Well since using the Priority Mail bubble envelope (or any USPS envelope or box) is a chargeable offense for not using it with postage through USPS, we think the seller is one we wouldn’t want to deal with and suprised that Amazon allowed for that to be sent to FBA that way.

With that said, we know that people do this type of stuff all of the time (remember we worked at USPS for a little bit).

You’re too kind redacting that sticker…

Yea, they are trash.

“They” are a crook. Not a frugal cost cutter.

USPS doesn’t really seem to care enough to do anything, but that part doesn’t matter.

Buying used books in lots on eBay I see quite a bit of that.

Well… If I didn’t redact the item you could look it up on Amazon and find my feedback and see what i really think. Also, this was a representation of the seller and not the product for sale, which this is not the manufacturer/brands fault.

This right here is a prime example of why I fully support the use IP rights to suppress random RA clowns from selling things on Amazon. The seal on this item was damaged, but it does not appear to be opened. If a seller is so cheap to use USPS packaging, they are most likely too cheap to have any QC standards IMO.

Woot Woot. Just googled them and found they are being sued for IP infringement with stuff pending for Oct 8 in Delaware.

Trash for sure, not sure if amateur, ignorant or apathetic.

The seller for an item I recently ordered had actually turned the padded mailer inside-out. I guess he was hoping to hide his nefarious deed.

This is simple theft for this bubble-mailer, as the USPS provides it to be used in actual mailing via the USPS.

That said, during the pandemic, my quartermaster went to Costco and stocked up on toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, coffee filters, everything we used that was paper. (Famously and semi-comically, he also bought a large 36-roll pack of Charmin for every employee to take home as a “tiny bonus”, which I approved enthusiastically, so his next review included a little extra for being prescient .)

He also placed larger orders for the cardboard cartons we used, and at the time, we loved USPS “Regional Rate” boxes, as the postage was cheaper than anything for everyone east of the Mississippi.

Then the USPS got rid of regional rate, and we found the remaining USPS rate classes to be more expensive than UPS. But what to do with all those now obsolete USPS regional rate cartons? The post office guidance was to recycle them, but that was a horrible waste. So, we used, and continue to use them as cartons for UPS, who does not care about anything beyond their label. The boxes are new and sufficiently strong to survive UPS’s attempts to crush and smash everything, as while they provide night-shift employment for the Incredible Hulk, they should have him lifting trucks with flat tires, not handling the small parcels.

What we do is NOT a crime, or even unethical, as the USPS refuses to let us use the boxes for anything mailed via USPS, and while they try to claim that the boxes remain their property, legal tells us that anything that anyone sends you for free, without prepayment or an invoice, is yours to keep unconditionally, a law that protects little old ladies from being legally obligated to pay for trinkets sent to them unsolicited by unscrupulous mail-order companies, who rely on their customer base to be forgetful.

We tried to use the regional rate boxes when the “Ground Advantage” first appeared, but the geniuses at USPS decided that this was “misuse”, and re-priced the shipment as “priority mail”, the highest rate they could charge for their usual “well get it there in a week or two” service. They were shrill about NOT using that large supply of boxes for ANY USPS shipments, so to hell with them - we will use them, and THEN they can be recycled after they are used at least once for shipping. We have a planet to try and not destroy, and paper-making is not easy on the whole CO2 thing.

So, call me a criminal, a pirate, whatever, but the ethics of the situation are the primary concern here, and if the USPS wants to get their knickers in a wad over this, they cannot impose “terms of use” on an item they sent us for free, and we will happily make a test case of that for them in federal court, as our attorney takes on crusades from time to time, and this is as much a crusade issue as the ever-shifting cesspool of “securities” law, where both the FTC and the DOJ refuse to state anything clearly, and the only way to know “the law” is to read up on who they accused of what, as nearly everyone gets a plea deal, so almost NONE of their ever-expanding “regulations” have actually been contested in a trial with a judge and jury.

To the best of my knowledge (confirmed with knowledgeable USPS employees) those boxes may be used for any Priority shipping that is strictly weight/address based.

However I would not use them myself or advise anyone else to do so – too big a chance of running afoul of some less knowledgeable USPS employee who just likes to make trouble

Would not matter that they will be proven wrong – it would still mess up that shipment.

I have seen that the Regional Rate boxes can be used but are charged at Priority rates, and have used some that way shortly before the Ground Advantage system started.

I think since GA came into being I have used Priority only two or three times and those have been Flat Rate envelopes.

Anything bigger goes GA (almost NO difference in delivery times), or UPS.

I have so many regular Priority boxes here that I had stocked up on I need to ask my local PO if they want them back. It’s that or my burn pile…

My question is

Is Amazon aiding and abetting a crime by accepting that product in that packing for fulfillment?

I asked my daughter – an actual attorney – about all those warnings, and she differentiated between ones you ordered on line and had to agree to their terms and conditions, and the ones that are available for free in the PO lobby where you just pick them up and leave.

The ones in the lobby are free game as far as she is concerned since you never “sign” anything.

Personally, it’s those 'distinction without a difference" things that make me think I should have gone to law school. I could have had all sorts of fun…

Wouldn’t the crime be by the user outside of its intended purpose? If I cut up a USPS envelope and use it for insulating school lunches, the school is not responsible for me doing it.

You really think the poor people that have to work their butts off at FBA, checking stuff in, care or have the time?

FBA is a glorified sweatshop with benefits. There might be a handful of people at each facility that actually care about Amazon, the inventory, or how it comes in.

which often makes it the best job in town for a worker with minimal skills and training.

If Amazon cared, it would pay them a bounty. But that would be if …

Or when its the only employer in town hiring. Your snuck premise is that there are other options for higher skilled people.