Amazon "Buy Shipping" - UPS Destroys/Discards Package - How To report replacement shipment tracking # ?

So, used “Buy Shipping”, amazon selected UPS for reasons unknown, and UPS destroyed the package, and will be sending nothing back to us.

Customer had to complain for us to find out, as there is no way (aside from manually clicking on every order to examine tracking history) to get a “shipping status report”.

Sent email to customer via Amazon about replacement shipment, but there is no way to “Buy Shipping” for the replacement shipment, nor any way to inform Amazon of the replacement shipment.

How does the seller show a timely good-faith response that fulfills the order when the first pass fails due to carrier error, and how does one file a “claim” for the UPS-destroyed items?

The Amazon system seems to ignore this whole issue, I can’t even run a report to see which shipments are LATE, let alone lost or damaged by the carrier… how has anyone done FBM without these basic tools?

So sorry. I never use UPS, unless the other options are substantially more expensive. I have USPS as the default, so I usually have USPS at the top of my list.

If this is the first damaged item you’ve had, I wouldn’t bother searching through everything to see what other shipments were late, lost, or damaged. I’d just assume they were all delivered as promised, or else you would have heard about it like you did here.

Have you contacted UPS about it yet? Sounds like they recorded it in their system as damaged or destroyed, so you have a good case for reimbursement.

1 Like

I also don’t ship with UPS and mainly use USPS, so I don’t have any experience with claims with them.
However, I did bookmark this NSFE post about how they were able to do a claim with UPS in case I ever needed it.

2 Likes

So, wait for the customer to complain? How is this an “excellent customer experience”? :wink:

This is the first complaint, right? It doesn’t happen all the time. If you haven’t heard other complaints, it means they got their product. Why bother going back in time to dig up trouble?

Selling on multiple websites and being a one man shop (I just checked to be sure) I simply don’t have the time or desire to look at 200 labels from the past week and a half to see if everything is marked as delivered.

On Amazon, even when it IS delivered and the carrier verifies that they gave it to the ‘buyer’ you can still get an A-Z like I did over the weekend.

I haven’t had the pleasure of reporting anyone to the Postal Inspectors in a while.

1 Like

And we do have an expert in this here on SellersAskSellers, too @Old-Timer :grin:

3 Likes

The buyer can request a replacement on Amazon. You will then get it as an order and ship it normally. They can start a return/replacement and select the replacement option. This is the only way to make sure you don’t get screwed sending a replacement to the customer…

-Ana

5 Likes

Customer had to complain for us to find out…
Sent email to customer via Amazon about replacement shipment

See, here is where using Buy Shipping for its ‘protection’ comes in. Your buyer didn’t get their package. You say - oh no, I’m so sorry! Please file an A to Z claim with Amazon for package not received, and Amazon will make you whole.

Then, if things work as they should, the buyer files the A-Z claim and Amazon refunds them out of Amazon’s pocket because Amazon covers shipping issues when you buy labels through their sytem.

This is why people use Buy Shipping to send their shipments.

So, wait for the customer to complain? How is this an “excellent customer experience”?

It’s not, but it’s the Amazon way. :grin:

I can’t even run a report to see which shipments are LATE, let alone lost or damaged by the carrier… how has anyone done FBM without these basic tools?

I dunno… I’ve been FBM since I started, and have never once wished for those tools.

and how does one file a “claim” for the UPS-destroyed items?

I rarely ship UPS either, but many people report that since you’re shipping under Amazon’s UPS account when you use Buy Shipping, only Amazon can file a damage claim, which they won’t.

But Amazon basically pays your damage claim by the coverage you get through Buy Shipping, since they (not you) refund the buyer’s purchase, so you end up in the same position as if you’d had a successfully delivered package.

5 Likes

OK, but how does that quickly get what was ordered into the customer’s hands? Sounds like nothing but delay while they apply for a refund, get a refund, and then order another.

OK, but how does that quickly get what was ordered into the customer’s hands? Sounds like nothing but delay while they apply for a refund, get a refund, and then order another.

Right. But again, that’s the Amazon way. If the customer wanted real service, they would buy from you directly. Don’t put the pressure on yourself - or your pocketbook - because Amazon has no idea what “service” is all about.

You could send the customer a replacement on your own, but as @Best_Handmade_Soaps references above, Amazon doesn’t provide approved methods for doing the right thing. Many sellers try to do the right thing despite Amazon, but it only takes getting burned once before they decide to go with the ‘Amazon’ way, and save doing things right for their other sales channels.

What I mean is - Amazon provides no good method for handling your scenario. If you take it on yourself to ship the customer a replacement for the package UPS destroyed, the customer can still file an A to Z and get refunded because Amazon doesn’t recognize ‘replacements’. They only recognize ‘throw money at the problem’. :woman_shrugging: Even if Amazon is paying, the customer doesn’t deserve both a refund AND the product. It should be one or the other.

4 Likes

Yes, and I can encourage them to do that, and send them an invoice, as that is an option under customer communications. Sooooo:

a) Immediate replacement sent when customer raises flag
b) Customer is advised to file an Z-to-A claim, and sent an invoice in the same email for the replacement
c) As the customer did not get his stuff on time, we eat the shipping on the replacement.
d) Customer gets refunded on original, and free shipping on replacement.

Everyone’s happy(?)

Yes, the customer could try to stiff me, but our industry is a very small circle of friends, one that is literally incestuous (tracking who comes down to breakfast with who at conferences is great sport!). I am a large enough and work out often enough, my nickname is “Dr. Bruce Banner” (the Hulk), so I think the customer will pay the invoice, as I could track them down, pick them up and shake them upside down until sufficient money drops out of their pockets. :wink:

Either you let the buyer open an AtoZ claim, then place a new order, then ship the new order, or you ship an immediate replacement. You don’t do both. If you do both, you, the seller, just gave away 2 items for the price of one, and the buyer gets reimbursed for the first item, then gets the second item for free.

1 Like

Sorry, should have been more clear - UPS obliterated the shipment. Not even a box with tire treads on it to send home and give a Christian burial. The customer got nada, for certain, hence my concern about speedy replacement.

With Amazon Buy Shipping in your situation, inform the customer to file an A to Z claim for INR (Item Not Received) and, if they still want the item, explain that they would have to place a new order. Apologize and let them know that this is the Amazon process for handling this type of issue.

5 Likes

and sent an invoice in the same email for the replacement

I don’t know anything about that. None of us are allowed to ask customers to pay us directly for anything.

as that is an option under customer communications.

I think that refers to simply e-mailing them a copy of an existing invoice (created by Amazon for a business customer buying on terms) - a simple request for paperwork. It does not mean to create a new invoice to seek payment from a customer.

3 Likes

No, you were clear.

Since you used Amazon’s Buy Shipping, the seller, you, are covered for items lost or destroyed in transit. If the buyer files an AtoZ claim, places a new order, and then you ship a new order, then the seller ships 2 items, gets paid for 2 items, and the buyer receives 1 item and pays for 1 item.

If you send a replacement and the buyer does not open a claim, then the seller, you, ships 2 items, gets paid for 1 item, and the buyer receives and pays for 1 item.

If you send a replacement and the buyer also files an AtoZ claim, then the shipper, you, ships 2 items, gets paid for 1 item, and the buyer receives 1 item and pays for no items.

You are strictly prohibited from attempting to charge a buyer for anything beyond what is paid for when the buyer checks out their cart. You cannot ship a replacement then try to bill the buyer separately for the second item. I’m not sure if this is what you meant or not when you said

The only scenario where you get paid for everything you ship and the buyer gets what they paid for is where the buyer files a claim, places a new order, and then you ship a new item. If you chose to ship a replacement out of your own pocket for the sake of customer service, this is a legitimate business decision that you can decide to make, but you can’t try to get paid or reimbursed for that replacement later.

2 Likes

Well, that does create a problem - one is force to be the bearer of bad tidings on Amazon’s behalf, and forced to explain the “process” to the customer.

I’ve had to do this a few times, but it was USPS.

The buyer never even contacted me.

But somehow they filed a claim and asked for a replacement. Amazon handled it and gave me a new order to ship through their system.

File for an INR…get reimbursed by Amazon, and Order again…is the other way.

3 Likes