Amazon itself does some shady things to buyers.

Placed an order with Amazon for an item that was school supplies for my daughter. The order was for 10+ items all placed at the same time.

One item was ridiculously cheep so I bought 4 seeing I might need it next year too. The shipping on this item was estimated, but still the latest date was before school started.
All of a sudden the shipping date updates and it ships a week early. Still going to take a week to get to me. Of course it’s Amazon delivery.

Happens to be the only item being delivered that day and the last item. Somehow gets scanned as delivered 5 min after leaving the depot that is 30 min away. It’s the only item in the history of Amazon delivery for me that does not have a picture proving delivery. The only other times I was outside and the drivers had me sign for the item and got my name.

I really feel like Amazon did not have the item and “fake shipped” it hoping with all the items I ordered I wouldn’t notice (I almost didn’t but went through all the packages yesterday and realized it was missing).

Yes I got my refund because the item was no longer in stock. I was free to pay 5x more for the item by buying from another seller.

This is something I would expect from a shady 3p seller not Amazon.

Implying those are not the same thing :zipper_mouth_face:

Everything with Amazon is automated, and that includes screwing people over. My guess is that there was an inventory error in a warehouse and Amazon doesn’t have a code for that, so a warehouse worker pressed something else just to clear the item off the order so they could ship the rest… Something along those lines. Cause Amazon.

5 Likes

Just put in an order Friday for some things. Wanted to complete a project with said items on Monday, and all items said “Free Next Day - Saturday” delivery.

They weren’t delivered, and they aren’t “late”. Delivery now says Tuesday.

Shady.

2 Likes

As an Amazon buyer, I have seen no evidence of thought in the fulfillment and delivery process. Without thought it is hard to imagine a deliberate shady practice when processing an order.

There is no reason to believe that orders are picked in the order they are placed, or that the inventory level is accurate. Ghost or zombie listings occur on Amazon and FBA orders as well as FBM orders.

Curiously, Ebay has now reached a size where sellers are complaining about orders for sold merchandise.

2 Likes

I should re-phrase my last line:
It appears that delivery promises between hitting the process order button and the email that says Your Amazon Order # the delivery date changes. But this is not a shock considering Amazon has a hard time keeping systems talking to each other.

3 Likes

As an Amazon buyer, I have seen no evidence of thought in the fulfillment and delivery process. Without thought it is hard to imagine a deliberate shady practice when processing an order.

You don’t consider lack of oversight of their automated systems to be shady? :thinking:

The people who put the order in a box don’t need to have ill intent for the process to be shady. The shadiness can lie with the people farther up the line who made the decisions and built the systems that lead to shady outcomes.

2 Likes

No I don’t. It is sloppy and half-arsed like most of what they do.

Competence is only required of bean counters.

3 Likes

There is a term - “an unconscionable business practice”

Programming computers (or not programming computers well enough) to promise one thing, and deliver another is such a practice. The problem here is the contract forced upon the humans by the corporate entity - the terms are non-negotiable, and likely don’t even include the phrase “best efforts” to describe the corporate end of the bargain.