Amazon Pallet Requirements

This might be helpful to FBA sellers …

by Bryce_Amazon updated by moderator 48 minutes ago

In this article, you will learn what is required from sellers to send deliveries to Amazon fulfillment centers.

Amazon limits pallet height to 72 inches. This is to maximize freight efficiency, ensure safety, and maintain the integrity of products being shipped. However, there are some exceptions to this policy and other key elements to consider. If a single unit on the pallet (for example, a piece of furniture) is taller than 72 inches, then a single pallet can be up to 98 inches (including the height of the pallet). Each pallet has to conform to the instructions outlined in the Floor Loading Policy.

The most optimal way to build pallets for shipping is to place shipping boxes that are intended to be sold together, such as sets, and that weigh more than 100 lbs on a single pallet. Brick stacking with heaviest items at the bottom is recommended. Keep in mind, total weight of each pallet must not exceed 1,500 lbs.

Follow these guidelines when stacking boxes on your pallet:

• When shipping multiple ASINs on a pallet, physically separate the ASINs so that they are easy to differentiate upon receipt.

• Any guidelines shown on the box packaging must be followed, such as stack height maximums, box orientation requirements, and handling restrictions.

• Build pallets with the FBA box ID labels facing outwards to allow each barcode on the box to be scanned without breaking down the pallet.

• Stack boxes on pallets so that they are stable and flush on all sides. Brick stacking, with heaviest items on the bottom, is recommended.

• For single-ASIN pallets, all boxes must be stacked the same way (i.e. horizontal or vertical). Boxes can still be turned in different directions, but they all must be stacked in the same way.

When building your pallets, also consider wrapping, labeling, and loading requirements such as: all pallets must be wrapped in clear plastic stretch wrap, each shipment box must be labeled with a unique ID and the overall height of pallets must allow 6 inches of clearance from the top of the stack to the roof of the container to prevent the load from falling.

For more information on building a pallet, watch this video on how to build a pallet to ship to an Amazon fulfillment center. Additionally, learn more about Amazon’s pallet requirement policy in Seller Central.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How the hell do you do that with case packs that are less than a foot wide like ours? Suddenly FBA scanners can read through the shrink huh??? They can’t read labels that aren’t covered with anything or reflective… (“SHIPMENT PROBLEMS”)

I don’t remember this requirement. Kind of hard to do if your total case count for an ASIN is less than a perfect layer.

We try very hard to avoid shipping mixed pallets and so far it’s worked out fine when we do and our products look exactly like each other with one notable difference (potency).

I thought that’s why having a barcode on each product was important??

Thanks for the info though. Good to know.

Steve

2 Likes

If grocery stores followed those guidelines, the shelves would be empty and we all would starve because it would take the warehouse too long to build the pallets.

Never seen a pallet where there weren’t cases in the middle which can’t be seen from the outside (with the exception of single item pallets and paper good pallets).

We’re just happy we don’t have to deal with this …

2 Likes

Geesh. Every time I read another FBA thread, it just further cements us never trying FBA.

The guy who does shipping out of this office is quite the character…been working here over 35 years. He and I have worked together for 25 years now (since I was 6 :wink:). He always has coloful replies to my Amz rants (usually with choice words and hand gestures).

If I were to show him a few of these guidelines, oh boy. Our units are bigger…but no way could we stack them so every FBA label faces out.

And he’d probably also say “any warehouse guy worth their salt uses enough shrink that there’s NO way it could be scanned through”.

Maybe the issue causing all the missing inventory threads is because Amz isn’t breaking down the pallets at all before internally transferring some of the units to other FC’s? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I have only a handful of issues with FBA (fake shipment problems, inconsistent capacity limits, peak period slowness for receipts / transfers).

FBA’s accuracy hovers around 99.95% for us on receipts. Everything essentially balances out to be perfect at the end of the year when we run our numbers for write offs.

It’s 40% cheaper for us to run our business through FBA and this business, with the margins in the category wouldn’t exist without FBA. Those savings are where the profit is.

Furthermore, if you’re not FBA in supplements, you aren’t viable on Amazon, unless you have a product that is highly in demand which can’t be easily copied. That last part doesn’t exist in my world so it’s FBA or nothing.

We can’t ship for what Amazon charges and we don’t need to employ anyone to handle fulfillment. I suspect my 40% cheaper number is likely understated, and probably by a lot, especially if you factor in trying to get same day / next day delivery which is what the consumer demands in my category. There are too many choices and the winner is normally the seller with a ton of inventory at FBA.

2 Likes

:arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

2 Likes

That’s probably a pretty-fair guess.

In recent weeks, various members of the FMT-CMT & the AHT SME Team have begun posting one or another variation of this response over in the NSFE made 10Dec`23:

To be sure, those of us who’ve been around the block a time or two or more with the “Negative Receipt” phenomenon - which sprang up in the immediate aftermath of the launch of the Inventory Ledger mechanism, in replacement of the long-established prior Inventory Reconciliation procedure (and which worked just fine once one got the hang of it, thank you very much) - are not likely to be surprised to see this admission being published by this or that Amazonian, but it does represent a significant sea-change from what the mods’ marching orders were prior to said recent weeks, which constituted recommendation to USE the Inventory Ledger for matters of reconciliation.

Amazon is not even bothering to hide its astounding incompetence anymore, apparently…

It’s reassuring that @ASV_Vites says they don’t experience issues on the vast majority of their shipments. I guess it’s like reviews…no one creates a thread when their stuff is received normally. So, though the volume of threads seems like a lot, in reality it’s but a tiny fraction. (Though it’s still too bad that counts are ZERO, with some people saying “happens all the time”.) I’m sure the experience of the seller also factors into the error rate.

It’s good that even with the fees, you can make FBA work. For tranparency, we are fulfilling from our existing warehouses, with existing employees…so we had no increase in overhead. We could conceivably expand into more of our warehouses, should the volume dictate, without adding headcount. We KISS at the start with just a few. I know that we are very different than most sellers. Amz isn’t keeping our lights on. It’s another way for longtime customers to buy from us (B2B) and expose us to new ones.

We’d try FBA for the prime badge (and all that brings).

1 Like

We second their assertion with hundreds of thousands (if not a million) units moved via FBA. Our unreimbursed loss % is less than .001. In nearly a decade we have only had issues with two shipments when we have about 15-25 a week between LTL and SPD.

It does happen all the time to those sellers who do not adjust their operations/packaging/labeling/product/etc. to work with the FBA material handling equipment. A single case sent in with a UPC accidentally left on the outside of a master case WILL be received as 1 unit. Those types of errors are what you mostly read about on the OSFE and NSFE, and are not Amazon’s fault as they are not the professionals of your products.
Morons shipping in stuff via USPS to save a nickel. Putting tape over your thermal printer label making it fade to black in a week. Shipping in items without UPC’s using Amazon’s label service. and on and on.

See how you can make this work anywhere else with a $4 inbound freight cost to Amazon…Be sure to account for your time or your employees time as you are still paying them to make shipments instead of other shipments or work.
Nationwide shipping of an 17x17x8 /13lb package for a total logistics cost of ~$21

We have 3.5 locations across the nation. West, Mid, Mid South, and East and when the cost of major metro area labor is included, it’s a no brainer. Amazon is not our core business either, but it’s large enough to have to hire Amazon dedicated employees just to make the FBA freight volume for the millions in sales annually.

We dominate our market because FBA distribution makes our stuff more available than our competitors, because most of the competition have the same mindset we see on the OSFE. “I won’t let the scary boogeyman touch my inventory” while handing their inventory to UPS with their 0.5-1% loss rate.

Not talking to customers about their issues, and being able to have all shipping related (and other non relevant) reviews stricken, is just more frosting on the delicious cake.

3 Likes

And there it is… Thank you for taking what’s in my head and putting it here in all aspects.

1 Like

I did leave out a lot of pitfalls of what Amazon does to prevent/hamper reimbursement. But they are so nuanced one would have to experience them to learn how to determine the best course of action to get a positive response.
Negative receipts, partnered carrier lost shipment, wrong FBA customer return, etc.

1 Like

If Amazon’s a very small part of your overall business, that makes sense, as for low volume (and large items), FBA prep costs about the same amount of time as shipping orders FBM. Once the volume starts ticking up even if it doesn’t feel like it’s costing you additional labor, it can sneak in there. If you had a significant Amazon order flow and looked carefully at the labor situation, you’d likely find you could cut some employees if you were FBA.

1 Like

@VTR Thanks so much. Your points were excellent. Your sample’s dimensions are very close to some of our products, so that was perfect. We probably would benefit from FBA in a similar way that you do.

@GGX This is very valid, too. And yes, it’s a very small part of our business, but easy to grow with nearly no overhead while gaining exposure. I hope we continue to grow things to where extra headcount (or FBA) becomes necessary. We do well for a crazy idea hatched during lockdowns.

Thanks everyone for these fantastic insights. It definitely gives us lots to think about. All of your wonderful knowledge is great appreciated!!!

1 Like

If you do consider it reach out to me, as I personally as part of the 3 companies I have run/partnered with, have lost at least $10000 in mistakes in using Amazon/FBA. No need for anyone to pay the same price for their errors when I screwed up enough for everyone to learn from. Of those errors I and by extension, my employees are the core reason the problems existed, and had we operated differently and followed directions, we would have saved enough for one hell of a party.

3 Likes

And just when I was getting warm and fuzzy feelings with FBA… :grimacing:

Thanks so much for you generous offer!! If we give it a whirl, I will take you up on it!

1 Like

$10K is not a lot of money when you screw up entire full truckloads of inventory, requiring repackaging and re-shipment.

1 Like