Amazon uses Support Services as an investigative technique!

“To obtain physical possession of Casey Kirschner’s laptop without alerting him to its investigation into the alleged kickback scheme at issue here, Amazon sent a malware alert to Casey Kirschner’s work laptop, directing him to take the laptop to the IT department of his local Amazon office,” Judge Alston writes.

This detail, which the ruling describes as not disputed by Amazon, was previously filed under seal in the case. GeekWire has asked Amazon for comment on this technique and how commonly it is used by the company.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/judge-tosses-all-but-one-claim-in-amazon-s-suit-against-former-aws-real-estate-managers/ar-AA19GTXL

It seems like another good reason to be wary of Amazon’s ‘help’.

2 Likes

Balance that with wariness of anyone who makes a living in the real estate or development industries.

Their actions often look wrong even when they are perfectly legal.

5 Likes

I know–I KNOW–how difficult it is to avoid using a work-issued laptop for any non-work activities, completely.

But this is a great reminder that anything you do on your work devices is discoverable and admissible, even through a malware ruse (rightly or wrongly).

2 Likes

Yes it is. In our state, many of us volunteer for elected and non elected positions. We get paid from nothing, most often to $2,500 a year.

You are expected to use your own device, however, they make it clear, it can be seized, in a 91A request. Our Right to know law, and all the information will be available on the machine. As in, if you are using the system for your companies accounting, and your volunteer work, your company data is now accessible.

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

In my state the device can not be seized, but the email account associated with said position can be. In my local municipality, we are all issued email addresses @ the municipality domain just in case things go sideways

2 Likes

Yes they did that here too, and I have no recorded, that I know of seizure of a personal system in the last 8 years. I do know when they hold training, it is always brought up.

When I was Chairman a number of different times, I always said at the end of the meeting, “If you are in this room you are on the air.” The cable studio had an “on air light” it was nothing more than a light on a switch. They would often turn off the switch but the broadcast kept going.

Some of the best stuff, would come out over the air after the meeting ended…

Slightly off topic, we had one of those in college in our off campus apartment, it was connected to the bathroom light switch.

Which is when, you politely explain that you’ll be wanting everything provided as hard copy rather than digital.
They balk at first, then they acquiesce, amazingly shortly the volume of work product and missives drops, but productivity and efficiency increases.

2 Likes

The new board, switched over to 100% electronic in my last year. Always bugged me.

Funny you say that though, I fulfilled my campaign promise 2-3 years ago. 21 years elected to the budget committee (3 yrs), then the School Board (18 yrs).

What is that you say? “Losing one vote at a time.” Eventually you enough people off.

[mod edit: papy removed politicized commentary]

1 Like

Thank you for that, Im’ sorry. :zipper_mouth_face:

Definitely anything on your work email account is property of your employer, and they can access it at any time.

Speaking of customer email addresses, when I glance over the list, I’m always just baffled to see work domains–especially schools and government because not only are those your employer’s property but also public record.

Do you really want taxpayers knowing where all you shop online?! :grimacing:

I wonder if those entities would also fake a malware alert, to investigate? Or was Amazon just that desperate?

As it said in the article, Amazon accused defendants of 8 things in this civil suit, but only 1 thing actually had enough evidence to be allowed to proceed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.