[AMZ] New packaging and warning label rules for button cell and coin batteries

Yes, just what everyone wanted, during an economic downturn amidst extraordinary inflation… More costly regulation!

Raving commentary rant

When did it become a good idea to hand a kid a battery and say, “Hey, right, I have at it”. I thought the whole point of parents and responsible adults was like to watch the kids and prevent them from doing dumb stuff. Like stick their finger in a light socket, eat detergent pods, leap off the roof of a tall building wearing just red underpants and a towel tied around their neck or, you know, eat a battery.

It’s hard to blame Amazon for this one. Seems like Amazon and Sellers ought to sort of follow the law. But do we really need another law? Because all the other ones like, don’t kill people or take stuff that don’t belong to you have worked so well and prevented so many murders and thefts.

Appreciate you sharing this. I’ve been monitoring CA’s PRO abomination (and the DOL’s attempt to take it national) and the EPA’s WOTUS. And I missed this little legislative gem.

2 Likes

This seems to be for people who list and sell the battery as the featured offer, and not for folks who have a battery included in a remote or watch.

1 Like

Unfortunately, too many “law abiding” folks are merely law-abiding and will only do the right thing when there’s a penalty for not doing it…thus laws.

And this is a safety issue that is more widespread than just one negligent family or a few accidents. Reese actually swallowed the button battery out of a remote, being too young to be able to distinguish it from similar-looking snacks or candies, I suspect.

Heck, my own (actually super smart) younger brother swallowed both a penny and half a bottle of grape cough syrup, in separate incidents, under the age of 5. Luckily, I witnessed both or was on scene almost immediately, and did what big sisters do best: TATTLED! Both needed ER visits involving ipecac. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::nauseated_face:

A practical law like this doesn’t offend me because it provides clear standards for practice (in labeling and packaging) while also providing (at least theoretically) enforcement and penalities for noncompliance. Yes, it’s additional hassle and expense, but it’s definitely less than otherwise dealing with the liability of not.

3 Likes

So a responsible caregiver was monitoring the child in this instance and immediately took the appropriate corrective action.

More ranting nobody wants to read

Seems to me that we need more you should watch your kid, and less everybody pay 10¢ more per CR-2025, because my kid eats random stuff off the ground, like cookies, candy, batteries, tide pods, and dog…

Come on the package on my father-in-law’s glucose monitor batteries already says, “(1)KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Swallowing may lead to serious injury or death in as little as 2 hours due to chemical burns and potential perforation of the esophagus. Immediately see doctor, have doctor phone (202) 625-3333. Keep in original package until ready to use. Dispose of used batteries immediately. (2) Risk of injury due to fire, explosion or leakage. Do not disassemble, charge, crush or expose to fire or high temperatures.”

At some point you just have to stop labeling things and just take a chance. I mean where does it stop? Congress mandating Tesla Cars have a warning label on the front and back bumpers stating; Warning this car may be equipped with Full Self Driving and/or Autopilot mode, vehicle automation! Which may result in erratic and irrational accelerations, stopping, swerving, and turning other drivers should maintain at least 200 feet away and pedestrians maintain a minimum of 500 feet safe distance from all sides of this vehicle at all times. Emergency Services Vehicles should turn off all electric lights whenever this vehicles is within 1.5 miles from this vehicle. Let’s require a big warning on chewing tobacco; Warning: Smokeless tobacco is addictive? That will keep people from buying Copenhagen!

1 Like

:laughing: I am only 15 months older! But certainly care :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.