[AMZ] Updates to the Return Insights dashboard and Returns Processing Fee reminder

4 Likes

This is just for FBA and not FBM, correct?

3 Likes

As far as I know–yes, just FBA. Don’t give them ideas! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for an answer to this question but I don’t really expect one until the fees go into effect.

3 Likes

All orders of an ASIN sold in June would be tracked for return through August. After August, that ASIN’s returns from June orders won’t be counted against you for this fee. But it’s only looking at June items shipped and returned through August; July’s items shipped would be tracked for returns through September.

And it seems that Amazon is simply comparing your individual per-ASIN product purchase month+2 return rate to their own category-specific thresholds…unless you ship fewer than 25 of that product in that month.

@maintak unless I’m misunderstanding your question?

3 Likes

Amazon is like the bully that tells you to get up and then kicks you again… Bad enough FBA customers can return items for any reason they choose or even flat out lie and now they want to charge us for “allowing them” to return it as well.

I wonder how this one will play out for the holiday season… :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Is Amazon tracking individual order specific returns? Or just comparing the number of sales in a month against number of returns over the following 3 months? If Amazon is tracking the number of returns over 3 months and comparing it to the returns from a single month, than each return can count against multiple months.

2 Likes

Don’t give them any ideas….think of how many more bots they could purchase if they did that for FBM.

3 Likes

The wording sounds strange but I think it means it will be charged after the 3 months for each month you go over the threshold. Units returned / sold will be charged when you break the category threshold per month. That’s how I am reading it.

4 Likes

They are tracking items shipped to Buyers in June (even if ordered before June) for returns of those June-shipped items in June, July, and August, to see if your June-shipped item return rate exceeds the category-specific return rate and therefore warrants a June Return Processing Fee charged between the 7th and 15th of August.

They are tracking by ship-month. June-shipped items can only count against June’s return rate, if returned in June, July or August…unless Amazon snafus this, too.

June-shipped and July-returned only counts against June, but July-shipped and July-returned counts against July.

1 Like

The range of category-specific return rate thresholds is from

• a high of 12.8% (Backpacks, Handbags, and Luggage), to
  • a low of 2.9% (Grocery and Gourmet).

:exclamation:Now is the time to verify that your ASINs are in the right categories.

3 Likes

If you click the embedded “Details” link for any given ASIN appearing on the latest revamp of the FBA Returns Dashboard, you’ll probably see this notification in the “Item Details” ‘pop-in frame,’ as is similarly expressed on the SHC page you’ve linked upthread:

I remain generally in agreement with the assessments of you & our friend @Tandi upthread - but I also remain trepid of this coming to pass:

Why am I trepid? Because I can already see mis-categorization of ASINs - solely by this Dashboard - to improper Fee Categories (a phenomenon which isn’t new, as our friend @Sundance has been known to point out over the last few years).

1 Like

Here is their explanation:

1,000 units of a product were shipped to customers in June. In June, July, and August, 120 of the 1,000 units shipped were returned. The returns threshold for this example product category is 10%*. As a result, returns that exceed 100 units (10% of the 1,000 shipped) during the shipment month and subsequent two months will incur returns processing fee. In this case 120 units were returned, so 20 units would be charged the returns processing fee. The fee will be charged between September 7 to 15.

2 Likes