Any way to fight a false shipping charge 'adjustment'?

Anybody know how to dispute these with Amazon? I don’t know where they came up with $8.45 as the ‘proper’ charge to ship a 4-ounce package by USPS, but it’s clearly not right and I’d like my $4.32 ‘adjustment’ charge refunded.

So they agree on the dims and weight but not what you were (correctly) charged? That’s poor. I have not fought one of these yet, good luck.

So they agree on the dims and weight but not what you were (correctly) charged?

Stupid, huh? I’m thinking it might be a ‘class of shipping’ charge error. $8.45 sounds suspiciously like the right amount for a shipping label for either Priority Mail or UPS Ground, neither of which these were.

2 Likes

It’s not a First Class / Ground Advantage mix up is it?

1 Like

We’ve tried to dispute the extra charges and been shot down repeatedly. No matter how we worded our dispute, the consistent response was “ There are two main reasons you may incur a carrier shipping correction for seller-fulfilled returns:

• The dimensions, weight, or both, for the product returned are incorrect.
  • Your return address is incorrect or invalid.”

None of our disputes had anything to do with returns, but we received the same response even after escalating, along with a warning about violating the Seller Code of Conduct.

“Leadership” also added this statement to the final response “ Please note, Amazon is simply passing through shipping correction charges, this request is coming from the carrier.”

I hope someone has found a way to successfully dispute these charges, all of which, at least in our case, are due to Amazon using the wrong rates.

When this happen to us a couple of months back, about a week after we got the charge an email came to notify us of the charge and it had a link in it to download an excel file. The excel file shows the exact order and who reported what. For us, Amazon changed the size of the Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope and said it didn’t match what USPS was reporting (which was correct). On the manage order page for that order, Amazon was showing the correct size as we have always input.

In the end, it was a sneaky way for Amazon to back charge us for their error. When Amazon dropped the price of Priority Mail Flat Rate (to $7.60), they did it across the board to all US locations. This does not match the program with USPS to US locations not included in the lower 48 (so Hawaii was to remain $8.05). Since Amazon was charging $7.60 for Hawaii, when the charge came back from USPS as $8.05, we got hit with $0.45 for every shipment to Hawaii (we had 3) … this was in June. We did a post on NSFE and got the attention of KJ_Amazon who looked into it and said we were to get a credit (this was August). We looked at out July orders and saw another Hawaii PM Flat Rate and expected to get hit for it but have not.

We complained that this was an Amazon error in pricing and that the sellers were not at fault for the error in Amazon programming … as this would be like us going back to a customer we sold something to for $9 and telling them they owe $1 more because the price was actually $10. Right … no seller would do this as it is flat wrong.

To date, we have not received our $1.35 credit ($0.45 x 3) nor have we been charged the extra $0.45 for the July Hawaii order. We haven’t had another Hawaii order so can not say whether or not they have corrected Buy Shipping to charge the correct amount of $8.05 for Hawaii.

Since your 4oz package was $4.13, it was a Zone 8 (which is what Hawaii is for us). This may be a related issue within Buy Shipping coding of prices.

2 Likes

Am I remembering that @Diane did this and got, like, a $5 gift card? :roll_eyes:

I’ve noticed that KJ continues to take lead on Shipping Overcharge Adjustments over in the multiple NSFE discussions on this topic, but as time marches on w/o relief in sight, I grow less & less confident that she hasn’t been stymied by the muckety-mucks in Seattle’s Halls of Power…

1 Like

The issue is that there is supposed to be a way to dispute carrier ‘adjustments’ made through the USPS Automated Package Verification (APV) system.

I’ve had a few bogus “adjustments” made through PirateShip, but there are clear instructions on how to dispute them. Every one I’ve disputed, I’ve won and had the adjustment reversed, because the USPS process made a mistake.

So my question really is - what is (or is there one) the process for disputing these adjustments when using Amazon Buy Shipping? Every other shipping provider has a method in place, and Amazon is no doubt required to as well, but I don’t know what it is.

I also rarely access the email for my Amazon account (because they send too. much. spam.) so don’t know if there’s a ‘click here to dispute this charge’ link when they notify you of a shipping adjustment.

There’s apparently a contact at USPS directly for disputes, per a Shipping Easy help page, so maybe I’ll try that. If it works, I’ll post back, but I suspect we’ll run into the same problems as UPS users have - the shipping account is under Amazon’s name, so only Amazon can file a dispute. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You :arrow_right: Amazon :arrow_right: USPS
USPS :arrow_right: Amazon :arrow_right: You

Amazon is in the middle so there is no direct connection to USPS to you.

As in our case, Amazon made the programming price error. USPS caught it and charged appropriately. Amazon isn’t going to eat their mistake and so passed it back to us. It is not USPS’s fault so there is no reason for them to rectify the charge.

We didn’t find one … could only post on NSFE (or open a case). We posted as it allows for others to chime in and puts it in the public eye.

3 Likes

It is not USPS’s fault so there is no reason for them to rectify the charge.

I believe this is a USPS mistake. The price of the Amazon GA label ($4.13 for a 4-ounce package) was correct. There was an adjustment of $4.32 when someone decided my package either weighed more, or was actually shipped by priority mail.

These adjustments usually come when the USPS APV system detects that your package doesn’t match what you claimed (class of service, size, or weight). I think there was probably a PM package overlaying my package when it was scanned by the APV system, so the system incorrectly detected that my package was sent by PM and charged me an adjustment for the price difference.

If that’s what happened, it’s definitely a USPS error - not Amazon’s fault in this case. USPS just said - we detected (incorrectly) that your package is xxx instead of yyy so we are adjusting that price. But USPS has a method in place for you to dispute these, at least on every other selling platform besides Amazon.

At first we thought it was USPS too … the details were in the excel file provided by Amazon in the email they sent to us. We could clearly see that it was Amazon who was creating the discrepancy by claiming a size in the package change. Mind you … ours looked like one charge but ended up being 3 charges for 3 different orders (shown on the excel file).

Check your orders for items shipped to Hawaii or Alaska or APO/FPO (any US destination that is not part of the lower 48) during the month this charge is suppose to have happened in. Because your item is a Zone 8 issue, we suspect that it is part of the coding error by Amazon.

The reduced pricing that Amazon started in May 2023 has some restrictions from USPS. Certain services with the reduced price are only available to destinations within the lower 48. Anything going to US destinations that are “off shore” do not get these prices. Amazon was giving those discounts to the “off shore” destinations and, when the charges came in from USPS, has been passing these charges back to the sellers.

If you know the exact order, go to USPS.com and create a label for that address to see what the price USPS is giving online. Note the difference amount as your $4.32 is probably a multiple of that. If you had any Zone 8 with 5oz (to 8oz), check that weight for the charge on USPS.com also.

Because your issue is Zone 8, we are willing to bet that it is the same issue we had …

3 Likes

It has nothing to do with Hawaii or Alaska.

According to Payments → Transaction View, the $4.32 ‘adjustment’ is for a package mailed to PA.

The proper charge for a 4-ounce package sent by GA to PA is $4.13, which is what Buy Shipping originally quoted me, and what I paid. There is no reason to add another $4.32.

If you know the exact order, go to USPS.com and create a label for that address to see what the price USPS is giving online.

I’m not sure I understand your suggestion, as a 4-ounce package to the farthest zone (even if AK/HI) is never going to return a charge of $8.45, is it?

I did check on what the PM charge would have been and that shows $10.07 through PirateShip, so my theory about it being $8.45 was apparently wrong.

Now interestingly…the buyer of this order returned one of the two small items he purchased. Amazon refunded him properly, and charged me properly (another $4.13… Grrr…) for the return label.

The package came back in the same small bubble mailer I’d sent it in, so there’s no case to be made for an adjustment based on the buyer using a too big/too heavy package to return in.

Now, very interestingly, I just got another $1.30 adjustment today on an order going to KS. This was also returned by the buyer, but also in the same package it was shipped in, so there should be no price adjustment for the size or weight being off.

I wonder if there could be a flaw in Amazon’s code (shocker!) that is tacking on bogus return label cost adjustments. Perhaps tied to their change in policy to make us start paying the difference when buyers use oversized boxes for returns that result in shipping charges that exceed the return labels they were given?

Or maybe it’s just coincidence that both orders where I received an adjustment were returned by the buyers.

I don’t know if I have the energy or motivation to dig into this, but it does make me wonder, and irritates me when Amazon helps themselves to some of my money with these bogus ‘adjustments’ periodically.

2 Likes

Ideas…

The Padded Flat Rate Envelope was $8.45 - though I think it change last year, or was it July this year?

The 2023 Priority Mail Commercial Cubic Rates Zone 3 for .20 CF is $8.45

The 2023 USPS Ground Advantage Commercial Rates for 4 oz - Zone 8 is $4.13
The 2023 USPS Ground Advantage Commercial Rates for 1 lb - Zone 8 is $8.45

2 Likes

Okay … there is the price in the current system so very probable that Amazon is saying the package was 1lb (which will show up on the excel sheet of the adjustment charge … not on the order page details).

We still think that these issues are related to Zone 8 pricing and the “off shore” policy of USPS with the special pricing which went into effect in May of 2023.

Since, from our location, we will only see Zone 8 for Hawaii and Alaska, we will not see other related issues for Zone 8 Amazon pricing.

Don’t wonder … our adjustment charge was acknowledged as a coding issue for Hawaii and other US “off shore” addresses.

Since September 12, 2023 … we have had 4 packages go MIA with USPS (everything is now processed through Amarillo - not Lubbock). USPS did honor the $100 insurance coverage on Ground Advantage (purchased on ShipStation and Amazon Buy Shipping). Keep it in mind as the holiday season unfolds.

2 Likes

Good advice! Thanks for the reminder. Since we are still being presented with the First Class (non-insured option) at equivalent pricing I wasn’t concerned if I forgot to check the GA button; I will pay extra attention for the season of grifting that is now underway.

1 Like

Could this upcharge have something to do with dimensional weight?

I’m calculating DWT of 0.87 lbs for 9x8x2 (USPS uses a 166 divisor), though if you entered dimensions it should account for this in the original cost. I know UPS regularly makes DWT adjustments if you don’t provide correct dimensions when creating labels.

1 Like

Hm, well, the upcharge is either a DWT upcharge (which sounds like it shouldn’t be occurring – it could’ve still happened incorrectly) or a priority mail upcharge (which shouldn’t occur unless OP or someone at OP’s business mistakenly used priority mail supplies on the package).

Could it be that the tape on the package was loose or something and someone at the post office patched it up with priority mail tape?

I’ve seen complaints on the seller forums from other people saying there’s no way to dispute shipping adjustments on Amazon buy shipping.

To be clear Priority Mail FLAT rate does not.

Best bargain in town !!

For someone like @1goodbye, he could stuff a 5000 pennies into one and get the benefits of volume and weight for $8.30

2 Likes

Well, flat rate is only for those specific sized boxes, those are basically purely DWT since the dimensions of the box (“small” “medium” “large”) determine the rate and not the weight.

It’s good for sellers of items like this:
https://www.amazon.com/lbs-total-little-Clean-ingots/dp/B00VVPIUW8